Windows 10: Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

Discus and support Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Stefan Noreiga, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to click or interact with anything, I would still be able to move the mouse pointer around however. After swapping around ram, removing the GPU and using onboard HDMI port with no result, I also decided to fresh install of windows 10 and the freezing still happened, this time however at the start before the initial setup of windows with the spinning white loading dots. I decided to remove my SSD from my PC take his out and put it into my PC and notic

:)

Stefan Noreiga, Jun 11, 2022

2. PC freezes while using mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the mouse freezes when you try to use it on the PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC?
    2. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
    3. How is the mouse connected to the PC?
    4. What is the make and model of the PC?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:

Perform a Clean Boot on the PC and see if the mouse still freezes. Refer the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on
    the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

If the mouse does not freezes after performing Clean Boot, then please refer the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to identify the root cause of the issue.

Note:
    Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Try updating the Display Drivers and see if that helps. Refer the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the details of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 11, 2022
  3. Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Jun 11, 2022
  4. stevenboh Win User

Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

PC randomly freezing, can't move mouse

So my PC will sometimes randomly freeze, where I can no longer move the mouse

Can you please help me find what the source of the issue may be?

thank you

stevenboh, Jun 11, 2022
Thema:

Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

1. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves - Similar Threads - freezes startup mouse

2. Windows freezes but still able to move mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows freezes but still able to move mouse: Whenever I play a game on my PC usually Valorant and I switch to a different application, both my screens freeze and I can’t see what is going on. My mouse moves fine while everything else freezes. Usually, I can still talk to people on Discord as I use Push to talk and I can...
  3. Windows freezes but still able to move mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows freezes but still able to move mouse: Whenever I play a game on my PC usually Valorant and I switch to a different application, both my screens freeze and I can’t see what is going on. My mouse moves fine while everything else freezes. Usually, I can still talk to people on Discord as I use Push to talk and I can...
  4. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves: Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to click or interact with anything, I would still be able to move the mouse pointer around however. After swapping around ram,...
  5. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves: Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to click or interact with anything, I would still be able to move the mouse pointer around however. After swapping around ram,...
  6. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  7. Display freezes, but mouse still moves

Display freezes, but mouse still moves: I'm having a Dell G3 3579 laptop, and recently, there's an issue of the screen freezing up, but the mouse still move, and everything else works just fine for a few mins, until the laptop totally freezes up.I've done the hardware tests, and didnt get any kind of error. Ran a...
  8. PC Freezing but can still move my mouse.

PC Freezing but can still move my mouse.: Hello, my PC randomly freezes.List of things I can do while it is frozen:-- I can switch tabsNot on google chrome-- I can open things like Snipping Tool but can't interact with them-- I can open my windows menu but when I search/type something it just goes blank-- I can move...
  9. Computer freezes but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes but mouse still moves: My computer has been freezing to where all my apps don't respond if I open any game BUT destiny 2 on the lowest settings. By freezing I mean I'm able to move my apps and minimize but can't close them. Also in discord my voice calls all stop taking audio and nothing with in...
  10. Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on

Computer freezes but mouse still moves and computer is still on: Hello, My PC keeps freezing up where nothing will work -- Office apps might open but not close, other files/folders won't open if clicked on. Yet my mouse will still move and my PC is still "on". I have brand new parts in my PC -- new RAM, new graphics card, new...