Windows 10: PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs

Discus and support PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The PC would freeze for a few seconds when I open certain programs the first time after waking the PC from sleep. It would not freeze if I open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by heartog, May 12, 2019.

1. heartog Win User

PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs

The PC would freeze for a few seconds when I open certain programs the first time after waking the PC from sleep. It would not freeze if I open the program again after the first time, until I sleep the PC again. Programs that would freeze are e.g. MPC, Potplayer, etc.

System specs in profile

Tried:
    -Clean Windows 10 install, twice
    -Newest drivers
    -New Monitor, New TV

Any Suggestions? Thanks!

:)

heartog, May 12, 2019
  2. Redovic Win User

Windows freezes for a second or two!

Hi,

I am using windows 10 in my Del Latitude 7350 2 in 1.

Recenlty my laptops freezes for a second or two when I try to click on a new link or on the search bar or when I want to launch a new window or program or whatever. It freezes whenever I want to start a new action, just for a second and then continues.

What's the reason for this problem?

Please note that I checked some posts on windows freezing in the community but they didn't help.

Thank you

Redovic, May 12, 2019
  3. Problems with Windows 10 freezing on Dell 2 in 1

Hi ,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please follow the below methods and check if it works.

I would suggest you to first uninstall the existing driver and then click on scan for hardware changes so that the pc will take the generic drivers automatically.

Please follow the below steps for the same.

1. In search bar type Device Manager and then Enter.

2. Go to the Display adapter and then expand

3. Uninstall and then do Scan for hardware changes.

If that does not work then download the latest drivers from the oem website and then install it in compatibility mode

Method 1: Compatibility mode

I would suggest you to install the latest available display drivers on manufacturer's website in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

I even see that you are facing issues regarding power hence I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 2: Run power troubleshooter.

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
      • Click on “View All” left panel.
      • Click Power, new window will popup.
      • Follow the on screen instructions.
    Method 3: Change the “Power plans” settings.

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings (like display, sleep, etc.) that manages how your PC uses power. The power plans you can use depend on the kind of PC you have.

Click on the below given link to “How to create and delete a power plan”.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

(Also applies to Windows 10)

Method 4: System Maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.
    • Click on System Maintenance option.
    • Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 12, 2019
  4. PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs

3 second delay when using shortcut key to launch program

I tried your suggestion to disable the Superfetch service but it didn't work.

It's clear the issue is caused by certain metro apps in the "suspended" state (as reported by the "Process Explorer" application). The 3 second shortcut key launch delay can be cured by killing all suspended metro apps, but certain apps keep re-spawning
    by themselves which make this a constantly recurring issue.

Donny Murgatroyd, May 12, 2019
Thema:

PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs

1. PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs - Similar Threads - Freezes seconds launching

2. My pc freezes for 1 second every 15 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc freezes for 1 second every 15 seconds: There used to be a beeping sound every 15 seconds as if you've unplugged and plugged back in a USB followed by it freezing for a second, but once i restarted my pc the beeping sound went away but it still freezes for a second. I just bought new RAM thinking thats the issue,...
  3. My pc freezes for 1 second every 15 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc freezes for 1 second every 15 seconds: There used to be a beeping sound every 15 seconds as if you've unplugged and plugged back in a USB followed by it freezing for a second, but once i restarted my pc the beeping sound went away but it still freezes for a second. I just bought new RAM thinking thats the issue,...
  4. Program launches in "suspended" state and after 2 seconds closes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program launches in "suspended" state and after 2 seconds closes: Hello,I've been trying to fix a program on my computer for the past month. It always failed launching. To be more specific, it's a video game installed from steam.After many months of working perfectly fine, the game suddenly stopped launching. I reinstalled it several times,...
  5. When I try to launch certain programs it fails to work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I try to launch certain programs it fails to work: When I try to launch Defragment and Optimize drives, nothing happens. When I try to open my antivirus via the Windows Settings, nothing happens. When I attempt to run the "chkdsk" command in Command Prompt, it says: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or...
  6. My PC freezes for five seconds every 1-2 minutes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC freezes for five seconds every 1-2 minutes.: Hello, I have a problem with my pc. A random freeze happens for about five seconds every minute or two. It is like when you are typing, working or surfing then this freeze happens, the pc receives what I am typing but postponing the letters to show/ the clicking to happen...
  7. Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.

in Windows 10 Support
    Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.: Hi all, I am looking to use Task Scheduler or similar to start an application every time I plug in a secondary monitor. EG: When only using my laptop monitor, I decide to plug in a secondary monitor to my HDMI port and when that action is logged is forces an EXE or other...
  8. random 1 second freezes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    random 1 second freezes: I installed windows 10 when it came out and have since experienced random 1 second freezes. I then started looking what might cause it and found out that every time my PC freezes systems CPU usage goes up by 20%. I then looked with Process Monitor what is happening and saw it...
  9. 1 second mouse freezing when opening or closing programs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    1 second mouse freezing when opening or closing programs: I have this weird issue that started when I upgraded to Windows 10. Whenever I open a program or in some cases an explorer window my mouse will freeze up for about half a second, as if the hard drive is bottle necked very briefly. I have two drives in my laptop, an SSD and a...
  10. 3-second lag when launching programs

in Windows 10 Support
    3-second lag when launching programs: UPDATE: Well, I suffered with this for a number of months, but the recent major update (2015/11/11) seems to have fixed it, so case closed. Hi, I'm an ex programmer and I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have a desktop with an Intel i5, and a Gigabyte motherboard...