Windows 10: PC freezes randomly without BSoD

Discus and support PC freezes randomly without BSoD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My PC started randomly freezing without Blue Screen. I believe it's started in August: some day when I started a game (Shadow of the Tomb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by asm0d, Dec 28, 2019.

1. asm0d Win User

PC freezes randomly without BSoD

Hello,

My PC started randomly freezing without Blue Screen.

I believe it's started in August: some day when I started a game (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) it didn't start. I was wondering what happened (I went to the another room thinking that game will load in that time, so I couldn't see what's on screen sadly) and there was an error in Event Viewer mentioning hardware error. After I tried starting a game again, it was completely fine, I was able to play so I thought it's nothing.

Next day when I tried play an another game, after ~15 minutes of playing, my PC completely froze with buzzing sound, like BSoD was coming, but it didn't. After hard reset (it was the only thing I could do) I was able to play the game without any errors. It repeats in another day - playing for ~15 minutes, freeze, hard reset, playing without errors. I thought it's faulty game, because when I tried playing same game but with lower settings, it was fine. However, it happened again when playing game #3, and again - same scenario.

Then was suspecting GPU or PSU, so I downloaded FurMark and tested my GPU for 20 minutes. Max temp was 76*C if I recall correctly and it finished the test without any errors or artifacts. Then I downloaded HWiNFO to check voltages but they were normal. I also changed DWORD TdrDelay in registry to 10 seconds.

Since then I wasn't playing and there weren't any freezes or something. 3 weeks ago I tried playing a game again and I was happy, because for 3 days of playing there weren't any freezes. I thought PC repairs itself somehow, however 2 weeks ago I left my PC with game turned on for a while. After I returned, on screen was something like that: https://discussions.apple.com/conten...ent/1006137040. After hard reset I was able to play a game normally.

I found strange that PC was completely usable after restart so I tried turning off fast startup. I thought it's a solution, because I was able to play without freezes longer than 15 minutes (in fact I was playing 5 hours), but some time after I finished playing, when browsing a web casually my screen went black and after moment picture on screen returned. I looked at Event Viewer and there is "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". I also increased a virtual RAM to 1.5x16GB min and 4x16GB max besides of turning off fast startup. So I was suspecting GPU again. I clean installed latest GPU drivers (deleted old one first with DDU).

Last Tuesday my PC started freezing not when playing games, it froze during a call via Discord (in fact I just finished a call and disconnecting a Bluetooth headset from PC). Fast startup was still disabled and virtual RAM was increased then, so I figured out that's not a solution. After looking in Event Viewer I noticed that Runtime Broker crashed in the same time, when I got a freeze. Today it happened again, that time I was just browsing a internet.

Right now I'm suspecting GPU, PSU, RAM and motherboard. Why RAM? In February I was getting a lot of BSoDs and program crashes (similar to the Runtime Broker crash from Tuesday), which stopped after I replaced the RAM. Why motherboard? Because after getting a new RAM kit I immediately tested it with memtest and there weren't any errors. For now I updated a BIOS to latest version, turned off a XMP profile and tested my hard drives (no errors). Right now I'm memtesting RAM sticks. I'm going to try how PC will work when using integrated graphic card only. Any ideas what I can do more to find a culprit? In attachment I'm adding logs from HWiNFO finished by PC freeze.

My specs (Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7...7WzaX1Uno7UJTt )
    CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K - no overclock
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3, BIOS: F15
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16 GB (2x8GB), 3000MHz, CL15; XMP on to achieve 3000MHz
    PSU: SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB GDDR5
    Windows 10 x64, 1909
    Everything is 1 year old except RAM, which was RMAd in February.

:)

asm0d, Dec 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 freezes randomly

Hi,

To better assist you regarding Windows 10 which freezes randomly, please provide the following:

• Which is the last Windows update build you've applied to the computer?
    • Are there any third party applications that are currently installed?
    Furthermore, we suggest that you do a BIOS update to your computer. Here are the steps:

• Check the motherboard manufacturer's website to find the specific model of your motherboard.
    • Go to the computer manufacturer's website.
    • Look for the computer model that you're using.
    • You should find any available BIOS update.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Dec 28, 2019
  4. PC freezes randomly without BSoD

Windows 10 freezes randomly

Turning off fast startup helped with this issue for another user on a different forum. For newbies, see steps Windows 10 Freezes Randomly.

kamilanwar, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

PC freezes randomly without BSoD

1. PC freezes randomly without BSoD - Similar Threads - freezes randomly without

2. PC Freezing While Gaming at Random intervals without BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezing While Gaming at Random intervals without BSOD: Okay So since few days i have seen my PC Crashes while i am Playing a Game - theres no fixed time to when it will happen it happens anytime No durations Fixed either it will totally restart the pc or it will freeze until i Hard Restart My PC also Before 10 Seconds of freezing...
  3. PC Freezing While Gaming at Random intervals without BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Freezing While Gaming at Random intervals without BSOD: Okay So since few days i have seen my PC Crashes while i am Playing a Game - theres no fixed time to when it will happen it happens anytime No durations Fixed either it will totally restart the pc or it will freeze until i Hard Restart My PC also Before 10 Seconds of freezing...
  4. PC randomly freezing and getting BSOD

PC randomly freezing and getting BSOD: I made a post on this the other day but not many responded so I wanted to make a new post as it's still happening and to add info.Ok, for a while now my PC has been randomly freezing for like 30 second to a minute then blue screening. Unsure if this is needed info but every...
  5. Random PC restarts and freezes with no BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random PC restarts and freezes with no BSOD: Hello, I've been having issues with my PC randomly restarting or freezing the symptoms vary each time. Sometimes the display freezes and the audio stutters before the PC restarts, sometimes the PC restarts immediately, and sometimes it freezes without restarting at all. I've...
  6. Random PC restarts and freezes with no BSOD

Random PC restarts and freezes with no BSOD: Hello, I've been having issues with my PC randomly restarting or freezing the symptoms vary each time. Sometimes the display freezes and the audio stutters before the PC restarts, sometimes the PC restarts immediately, and sometimes it freezes without restarting at all. I've...
  7. PC randomly restarting without BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC randomly restarting without BSOD: As above I am restarting randomly, rarely when playing games but more when just using google chromeI am getting this error usually in sets of 3 :A fatal hardware error has occurred.Reported by component: Processor CoreError Source: Machine Check ExceptionError Type: Cache...
  8. PC randomly restarting without BSOD

PC randomly restarting without BSOD: As above I am restarting randomly, rarely when playing games but more when just using google chromeI am getting this error usually in sets of 3 :A fatal hardware error has occurred.Reported by component: Processor CoreError Source: Machine Check ExceptionError Type: Cache...
  9. PC randomly restarting without BSOD

10. PC freezing and then restarting randomly - BSOD

PC freezing and then restarting randomly - BSOD: Hi, I've got an issue where my PC would randomly freeze and then restart itself. This happens no matter whether I'm using it for intense processing or just idling. Today it finally managed to produce a dump file with the file causing the issue. Ntoskrnl.exe+487a98....