Windows 10: PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder

Discus and support PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My PC freezes for several seconds frequently when I attempt to navigate to a drive or folder to do something such as look for a file, or to save a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ubose1, Jun 7, 2020.

1. ubose1 Win User

PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder

My PC freezes for several seconds frequently when I attempt to navigate to a drive or folder to do something such as look for a file, or to save a file from inside apps such as Word or copying and pasting a file. It started doing this since about a couple of months ago though I have had the PC for several years. It also freezes similarly for several seconds when I start navigating in File Explorer. I don't see this behavior usually in the first hour or so of using the desktop computer after starting it. I have set the power option to never sleep for the PC and turn off screen after 10 minutes.

I have attached a screen capture of the memory usage from Task Manager, if that helps. It froze just now for almost 50 seconds first when I attempted to save the image file to my desktop, and again I was trying to select the image file to upload to attach it.

PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder [​IMG]

My PC has AMD Phenom II X4 820 quad core processor, and 6 GB DDR3 memory.

Windows version 1803 OS Build 17134.1488

:)

ubose1, Jun 7, 2020

2. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Hello Brink and thank you. This website is a very helpful resource. PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder :)

Your suggested answer will hide the User Profile folder in the Navigation Pane.

Instead, this scenario involves not hiding the User Profile folder but hiding specific Personal Folders in the Navigation Pane that are marked "Hidden" in the Files/Folders Listing Area.

My suspicion is that there are more "PinToNamespace" registry entries for me to toggle the DWORD value.

TechGuy737, Jun 7, 2020
  4. rhegde Win User

Suggestions for Maps/Drive

Some more suggestions

- When you set a destination in drive, you should be able to set an address which is existing in the contact list

- You should be able to view all step by step navigations. right now you are not able to see complete direction steps.

rhegde, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

1. PC freezes when navigating to any drive or folder - Similar Threads - freezes navigating drive

2. freeze navigation pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freeze navigation pane: Good morning I have a bug with the navigation pane. When I want to copy files between two windows next to each other. When I select my files on my windows and I hover the mouse over the navigation pane it crashes the windows explorer. I tried a scannow and error checking on...
  3. freeze navigation pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freeze navigation pane: Good morning I have a bug with the navigation pane. When I want to copy files between two windows next to each other. When I select my files on my windows and I hover the mouse over the navigation pane it crashes the windows explorer. I tried a scannow and error checking on...
  4. freeze navigation pane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows/PC freezes when playing any game

Windows/PC freezes when playing any game: My PC works just fine under normal using, like browsing the internet or using files. Even music or editing programs work great.But when I play video-game, especially one that's modern, my PC will sometimes freeze.Before I freeze, sometimes the audio in the game will seperate...
  6. Windows/PC freezes when playing any game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows/PC freezes when playing any game: My PC works just fine under normal using, like browsing the internet or using files. Even music or editing programs work great.But when I play video-game, especially one that's modern, my PC will sometimes freeze.Before I freeze, sometimes the audio in the game will seperate...
  7. Windows/PC freezes when playing any game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 pc freezes when using any browser

Windows 10 pc freezes when using any browser: I have a pc that i use for gaming and school, and just recently after making no changes, when i open any browser my entire computer freezes randomly for about 3-5 seconds every 1-3 hours. Ive tried many different scans and checks and my hardware seems to be fine and I dont...
  9. My PC freezes cannot navigate anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My PC freezes cannot navigate anything: My PC freezes cannot navigate anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-freezes-cannot-navigate-anything/1b6527b5-acee-4d7e-8065-3a2aff6b4ba8
  10. How to put any shortcut / folder in Windows 10 Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to put any shortcut / folder in Windows 10 Navigation Pane: Is there a way to customize Navigation Pane folders in order to remove unnecessary folders and add desired folders and shortcuts in Windows 10 Pro.? 12600