Windows 10: Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working

Discus and support Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there! I've had a freezing issue with my PC for quite awhile now. The strange thing is my computer will freeze but the audio doesn't stop. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jonathan4172, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working

Hi there! I've had a freezing issue with my PC for quite awhile now. The strange thing is my computer will freeze but the audio doesn't stop. For example Ill be on discord with my friends and I can still hear them and even talk back to them. Or ill be on YouTube and still hear the video. It only freezes when I'm not playing games, so when I'm sitting on my desktop, or when I'm on google With the exception of Among Us, Brawlhallla, and Call Of Duty World at War. I checked the event viewer and found an error for HID compliant headset stopped working attempting to restart device which occurred at the same time my PC would freeze. However I somehow solved that by running troubleshooter on my headset and updating the drivers. But My pc still freezes after fixing that. Recently I check the reliability history and found a error For "Desktop windows manager stopped working," I got this error at the same time my pc would freeze. I've searched all of the internet and couldn't find a fix for it and I think its the culprit behind my PC problem.

I would apperciate any help and any idea no matter how crazy and far fetched it might be.

*note* Ive clean reset my PC 8 times already as at the time of writing this

My Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core

GTX 1060 6gb

1 Terabyte of ssd x2

16gbs Of ram X2 8gb

Gigabyte motherboard I dont know what model specifically since its a prebuilt and I forgot

:)

Jonathan4172, Oct 17, 2020
  2. velut Win User

Issues with pc freezing

Hi all,
    I've got a problem with my pc freezing very frequently. Sometimes, it freezes up before I can even log in. When I am able to sign in I can occasionally use the computer for days without issues, other times it freezes within minutes.

When I do run into problems, the first thing I notice is that the task bar/file explorer will stop responding. If I attempt to alt tab, control alt delete, press anything on the taskbar, then my computer will stop processing inputs. If I have a video open that'll keep playing. It's just the file explorer that stops responding. I've tried just leaving it alone but eventually everything freezes. So far I've been using force restart to get the pc working again.

Here's a list of what I've already tried:
    Checked hard drive and memory for errors
    Ran SFC, DISM
    Startup repair
    Reinstalled start menu
    Reinstalled windows with reset this pc

velut, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    PC stops.

Ive been getting a weird freezeing issue.

Sometimes on a cold morning or randomly browsing files on my OS when I start my PC my, It loads up Windows 7 desktop and icons but then stops and I have to hold my shutdown button in and hard reset my PC. When it freezes my harddrive activity light instantly stop flashing. Im pretty sure its my B2 motherboard and the affected Hard Drive chipset, but Im posting to confirm it. Will changing to one of the "unaffected" Sata ports fix this? Or is it something else?

Aceman.au, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working

Windows 10 made my desktop stop working

Hi Desmond,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing some issues regarding your computer desktop. Let me help you resolving the issue.

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Display driver and check if it works for you.
    Refer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.

Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working

1. Pc freezing issue Desktop windows manager stopped working - Similar Threads - freezing issue Desktop

2. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  3. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  4. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows desktop manager has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows desktop manager has stopped working: Hello, I keep getting an error where it says windows desktop manager has stopped working and my whole pc freezes and I have to restart my pc. This only happens when playing rocket league and it's random. I'm confident it isn't rocket league itself as I've reinstalled it...
  6. Windows desktop manager has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows desktop manager has stopped working: Hello, I keep getting an error where it says windows desktop manager has stopped working and my whole pc freezes and I have to restart my pc. This only happens when playing rocket league and it's random. I'm confident it isn't rocket league itself as I've reinstalled it...
  7. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop windows manager stopped working: I always get the same error then the pc force a restart, and sometimes after i switch on the pc from sleep, every thing is black except for the taskbar.its DWM stopped working followed by the hardware errors.its been going on for a while and not sure how to fix it.help is...
  8. Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.: When i was playing one of my game minecraft all of the sudden my video would stop and my fans would rev up and id be forced to hard restart my PC.When i checked reliability history i found loads of critical events saying Desktop Window Manager Stopped working with these...
  9. Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working: 3 or 4 times a day, or at least when I'm working on my Lenovo Edge 2-1580, the screen will blink off and back on. According to the Reliability Monitor the Desktop Window Manager stops working when this occurs. Usually happens 2 times in a row. The issue had been occurring, so...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Windows Manager stopped working: What is this & what does it do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-windows-manager-stopped-working/a8aba03a-b98f-4100-b417-972b5861a2eb

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop windows manager stopped working amd

2. desktop windows manager freez taksbar