Windows 10: PC Freezing Up Occasionally

Discus and support PC Freezing Up Occasionally in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This is a repost to see if I can still find a solution as the one I posted before never solved the issue, and the person helping never responded, nor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jay_023457, Dec 1, 2021.

1. PC Freezing Up Occasionally

This is a repost to see if I can still find a solution as the one I posted before never solved the issue, and the person helping never responded, nor did anyone elseOk so to start off and describe what is going on, as of recently my laptop has seemed to be acting weird and It's getting extremely irritating. An issue has appeared out of nowhere that has been causing my screen to freeze for a split second when doing certain things on my computer.It's not just when I watch videos; it can happen on the laptop in general. It's happening on games too, so this is not just a problem with my browser

:)

Jay_023457, Dec 1, 2021
  2. tpriest Win User

Occasional PC freeze

Sadly I continue to have the same intermittent problem.

After a spate of further freezes, always soon after morning boot up, last Friday I changed the CMOS battery (needed to remove and replace the graphics card to access the battery). The BIOS reload the last parameter set after the change.

For a few days no problems.

Then yesterday a couple of freezes. After 2 or 3 reboots it was fine for the rest of the day.

This morning:
    Boot up - freeze after 10-15 minutes.
    Reboot - freeze during BIOS after detecting memory before the list of detected drives.
    Reboot - freeze after "loading operating system" message
    Reboot - still OK after a couple of hours.

Past experience suggests it will be OK for the rest of the day.

I've run memtest86, OK; Speccy, Crystal Disk Info & Hard Disk Sentinel all report drives OK.

Any thoughts?

tpriest, Dec 1, 2021
  3. tpriest Win User
    Occasional PC freeze

In the past 2 days my PC has frozen a couple of times each day.

Brief system spec.:
    • Windows 10 Pro V.1909 (Build 18363.900). Reverted from 2004 10 days ago, suspected Macrium Reflect problem (not the case)
    • AV: Kaspersky Free
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 (Socket 1156)
    • RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
    • CPU: Intel i5 760 2.80GHz
    • Graphice: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    • C: drive - Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB ATA
    • D: drive - Western Digital 2TB black
    • E: drive - (USB) Western Digital 2TB My Passport
    Yesterday:
    • Some 20 minutes after booting it froze. Mouse LED went out, screen stayed showing whatever it had been. No keyboard response (forgot to see if keyboard lights were on).
    • Restarted. After 10 minutes or so the same again.
    • Restarted. No problems for the several hours it was on. I kept Speccy running to keep an eye on various temperatures, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Today

• Some 8-10 minutes after booting it froze. Same signs & symptoms as yesterday.
    • Restarted. Part way through booting, may have still been in BIOS it stopped and restarted.
    • No problems in the >6 hours since.
    Speccy continues to show no unusual temperatures.

Running Crystal Disk Info appears to be all ok

PC Freezing Up Occasionally [​IMG]

Crystal Disk Mark also show no problems for the D: drive
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World: Crystal Dew World
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes
    [Read]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 174.927 MB/s [ 166.8 IOPS] < 47698.76 us>
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 171.960 MB/s [ 164.0 IOPS] < 6094.14 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 0.876 MB/s [ 213.9 IOPS] <644905.04 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 0.747 MB/s [ 182.4 IOPS] < 5464.75 us>

[Write]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 169.451 MB/s [ 161.6 IOPS] < 49138.10 us>
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 169.462 MB/s [ 161.6 IOPS] < 6180.67 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 32, T=16): 2.166 MB/s [ 528.8 IOPS] <399412.65 us>
    Random 4KiB (Q= 1, T= 1): 2.153 MB/s [ 525.6 IOPS] < 1899.61 us>

Profile: Default
    Test: 1 GiB (x5) [Interval: 5 sec] <DefaultAffinity=DISABLED>
    Date: 2020/06/21 14:29:59 OS: Windows 10 Professional [10.0 Build 18363] (x64)
    Nothing showing in the Event Log apart from during restart a message that the system had closed down unexpectedly, no other information.

One other thing I noticed when digging around I ran msinfo32. It showedInstalled Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GBTotal Physical Memory 3.99 GB
    Wondering if this suggested a RAM issue I rebooted into BIOS setup to see if there was anything odd. All looked ok so exited without saving any inadvertent changes. On restarting the Total Physical Memory is showing 7.99GB. While the Available Physical Memory will fluctuate depending on system activity, I wouldn't have expected the Total Physical Memory to be anything other than 8GB (near enough).
    It occurs to me that seeing that on both days the freezes occurred soon after the morning boot whether there's some system activity that is causing the problem.

I'm not sure where to look further. Any ideas?

tpriest, Dec 1, 2021
  4. PC Freezing Up Occasionally

New computer occasionally freezes, then releases

Hi,

My name is Mohammed Shuaib, an Independent Advisor and I'm here to assist you with the issue of computer freezes occasionally. Please follow the below to fix the issue.

Fix #1:

Step 1:

Go to search box next to Windows icon and type CMD

Step 2:

Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

Step 3:

Type msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and press enter.

Step 4:

Restart PC

Let me know the status after performing the above.

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Dec 1, 2021
Thema:

PC Freezing Up Occasionally

1. PC Freezing Up Occasionally - Similar Threads - Freezing Occasionally

2. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...: There is one desk in our office in particular that has an ongoing issue with monitors briefly going black at random intervals. We haven't been able to find a solution for almost 2 years now. I believe the behavior has changed over time, but currently only one of the three...
  3. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...: There is one desk in our office in particular that has an ongoing issue with monitors briefly going black at random intervals. We haven't been able to find a solution for almost 2 years now. I believe the behavior has changed over time, but currently only one of the three...
  4. What else could cause displays to randomly go black for a moment and occasionally freeze up...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.: My Asus Tuf F15FX506LI Gaming laptop Mediatek wireless adapter MT 7921 wifi 6 just randomly disables itself after I open my laptop I did many troubleshoots and restarting my laptop and even making a network reset uninstalling the drivers and downloading them back I had this...
  6. My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.

My WiFi adapter keeps disabling automatically, and my Windows system freezes occasionally.: My Asus Tuf F15FX506LI Gaming laptop Mediatek wireless adapter MT 7921 wifi 6 just randomly disables itself after I open my laptop I did many troubleshoots and restarting my laptop and even making a network reset uninstalling the drivers and downloading them back I had this...
  7. Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?: My Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous in multiplayer mode.It is completely stable with applications, other games and in every other situation.It only freezes from time to time in that game and only in multiplayer mode <> 4 times since last...
  8. Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?

Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?: My Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous in multiplayer mode.It is completely stable with applications, other games and in every other situation.It only freezes from time to time in that game and only in multiplayer mode <> 4 times since last...
  9. Why does my Windows 10 occasionally freezes entirely while playing Elite Dangerous ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC occasionally freezes on black screen while gaming: I recently built a computer back in July which had some kinks that I thought I worked through, but now my PC has been freezing only while gaming with this black screen where some of the colours are distorted. Looks like this I've looked through the minidump files in effort to...