Windows 10: PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive

Discus and support PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey everyone, last couple days my Windows 10 PC was starting to have trouble. First, desktop icons would disappear out of nowhere and it couldnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JenniferMx3, Feb 26, 2019.

1. PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive

Hey everyone,

last couple days my Windows 10 PC was starting to have trouble.

First, desktop icons would disappear out of nowhere and it couldnt find the D: hard drive, though usually restarting it fixed it.

Then, the booting up and restarting and shutting down all started to get really slow.

Last night when trying to turn on my PC, it got stuck on that hard drive test and repair message for about 2 hours, then got stuck trying to restart, before it finally booted up and yet again couldnt access D.

Now it wont boot up at all, just gets stuck on the loading screen.

Between the first trouble with the icons & slow booting and the problem last night, I also opened my PC, cleaned it out and built in a new graphic card while I was at it.

PC was running just fine the whole day after that, though, so I'm not sure if that did anything bad.

Is there any hope that I can save the files on the damaged hard drive?

Can I force my PC to boot up without getting stuck on the loading screen (which I suspect is because of the damaged drive?)

Also, what could the reason for the sudden problem be?

I am kinda worried there is something wrong with the PC that might damage more components.

Thanks a lot in advance!

:)

JenniferMx3, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Drone Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

You can boot from Norton Ghost and clone that disk to your hard drive. Then boot normally install virtual machine with xp and from that machine access cloned drive. It's a complex but safe process.

Drone, Feb 26, 2019
  3. DannibusX Win User
    Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Feb 26, 2019
  4. KBD
    KBD Win User

PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive

Cannot access my second hard drive in XP

I just noticed that my second hard drive dissapeared from my computer, i decided to restart the pc hoping it would reappear, it did, however i still can't access it when i try to open it i get the following message: H:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadeable. BIOS still sees it, when i restart the PC, it lists both of my hard drives and both optical drives, but i can't open it in Windows.

This was preceeded by somewhat strange behavior this morning, my PC would not boot into XP and would freeze after the Windows is loading message, i had to restart several times by pushing the restart button to log on. It was somewhat slow at first but after the next restart was back to normal, and then i noticed the missing second HD. I don't even know if its a hardware or a software issue. Can someone help me with this?

Thema:

PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive

1. PC gets stuck booting up, and can't access hard drive - Similar Threads - gets stuck booting

2. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied: When I attach a WD My Passport device I get an error E\ is not accessible, access denied.....WD recommended I contact Microsoft....thanks in advance for any tips, Dave...
  3. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied: When I attach a WD My Passport device I get an error E\ is not accessible, access denied.....WD recommended I contact Microsoft....thanks in advance for any tips, Dave...
  4. Can't get access to remote Hard Drive...E\ is not accessible, access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  6. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  7. Pc gets stuck in a loop while booting up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc gets stuck in a loop while booting up: Hi there. So ive ran into an issue with my pc where it can make it past the bios screen just fine but then can’t open windows 10 and instead freezes on a static-like screen before resetting back to loading the bios screen. I did update my graphics card driver and i feel like...
  8. Can't access hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access hard drive: Hi Im running w10 on an EliteBook. Local disk drive C with a capacity of 30gb is now full. There is a second drive New Volume D with 285gb capacity but despite switching where content is saved, this doesn't happen. I have tried formatting to no avail Anyone got any ideas....
  9. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...