Windows 10: PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen

Discus and support PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This is a long description but any help would be very appreciated. A few weeks ago my PC has been struggling to boot up normally with no obvious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SHB, Oct 10, 2019.

1. SHB
    SHB Win User

PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen

This is a long description but any help would be very appreciated.

A few weeks ago my PC has been struggling to boot up normally with no obvious cause.

What I mean by "boot normally": I would be able to login and then start opening windows a few seconds after with no issues except with a bit of delay which is to be expected at startup, and I would not have any issues with my computer after which.

But I think after a windows update which I think didn't install right - I'm not to sure if that is the cause but I think it's the most likely - my computer keeps experiencing a huge delay after the login screen.

What I think may have caused these series of issues is when I was prompted to install a windows update but something was off. Typically I get the two options: "Update and shutdown" and "Update and restart" but this time I only got the option for restarting. I thought ok maybe it needs an immediate restart to finish installing? So anyway I did so but after rebooting the option remained. I also didn't get the configure message after the restart. It normally says it's configuring the update before shutting off and after powering back on.

Since then - again I think - this is when I have been experiencing problems.

I'll login just fine, get to the desktop which loads just fine but then I can't open anything. Task manager? Nope. My taskbar highlighting-graphic-thing will freeze over a icon and not update, Control + Alt + delete won't open the menu and then maybe after a few seconds everything will go blue which indicates that explorer has crashed. So it's kinda like explorer is not responding after logging in even if I let the computer sit at the desktop and not press anything.

Sometimes I can open task manager and a few things work but after a while it'll just freeze and all windows will stop responding. I have had some instances where it has been able to recover but that has only happened a few times.

The only solid way of resolving this is manually shutting off and on again.

What have I done to resolve this? A lot.

I've tried using "sfc /scannow" in command prompt (as an admin) and the first time it did say that there were corrupted files so I used "DISM" to fix this. I confirmed with "sfc" after and the corrupted files were fixed. But this didn't resolve it.

I've tried installing newer windows updates. Nope.

I've tried booting in safe mode and the freeze doesn't occur but I'm still not sure on how I can identify the problem.

I've tried using troubleshooting methods with repair and that but that hasn't worked.

So in desperation I did a windows reset (not a complete reinstall but resetting windows whilst keeping files) and at first I thought it fixed the issues as I restarted my PC a few times without the issue, but then I got the blue screen of death.

It stated that the PC ran into problems and would be restarted. It also said it was collecting data (but it never did) and after the restart it wouldn't boot. The underscore / cursor that appears before the windows logo was blinking continuously where I then hard reset and now it's been working fine.

I can't understand why it keeps freezing after startup. Just to clarify I can still move my mouse cursor around but nothing will react to my mouse presses and like I said, windows and programs that are open will stop responding.

Any thoughts on how I could resolve this? Thank you.

:)

2. Remon Ont Win User

Startup Blue Screen

Hi Jon,

Startup blue screen error(s) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly. It could be due to the following:

• Outdated device software drivers
    • Corrupted Windows update system files
    • Software/Security conflicts

We would like to know some information:

• Did you get any blue screen stop error codes?
    • Have you tried booting in Safe mode?

We suggest that you check this
    article
    about troubleshooting blue screen errors and follow the troubleshooting steps provided there.

We will wait for your response

Remon Ont, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Law-II Win User
    Crash/blue screen

Hi

I assume from the title of your post Crash/Blue Screen that the PC has crashed and produced a *BSOD=[Blue Screen Of Death] =Blue Screen; and that the PC recovered from this; if and when you see the Blue Screen write the Stop Code down; recover the PC or use one that is working to access the net and look up the Stop Code.

nb: You may be able to view this with a [*BlueScreenView] application, google for this.

Edit Link - Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Description
    ===========

BlueScreenView scans all your minidump files created during 'blue screen
    of death' crashes, and displays the information about all crashes in one
    table. For each crash, BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the
    date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue
    screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver
    or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file
    description, and file version).
    For each crash displayed in the upper pane, you can view the details of
    the device drivers loaded during the crash in the lower pane.
    BlueScreenView also mark the drivers that their addresses found in the
    crash stack, so you can easily locate the suspected drivers that possibly
    caused the crash.

atb

Law-II

Law-II, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Sprat25 Win User

Multiple Blue Screen Crashes On Startup

I have gone through the driver verifier steps and restarted the computer like said. But I seem to get a blue screen on startup saying: Driver_Verifier_Detected_Violation

(ngvss.sys)

So I had a look on the wiki again and it said to stop the verifier when it crashes so on startup repair options I went to command prompt and type verifier/reset but it says no settings changed. I restarted the computer and still received the crash! What
    should I do?

Sprat25, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen - Similar Threads - hangs startup frozen

2. Frozen PC led to blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen PC led to blue screen: Yesterday my computer mouse froze on the taskbar and I couldn't use any shortcuts to turn my pc off so I decided to manually turn it off from the button. I woke up the next day to a blue screen saying windows couldn't start with the options to "auto repair" and "restart" I...
  3. Frozen PC led to blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen PC led to blue screen: Yesterday my computer mouse froze on the taskbar and I couldn't use any shortcuts to turn my pc off so I decided to manually turn it off from the button. I woke up the next day to a blue screen saying windows couldn't start with the options to "auto repair" and "restart" I...
  4. Frozen PC led to blue screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My PC crashes after blue screen at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC crashes after blue screen at startup: Hello, I have this problem where my PC has a blank blue screen after I turn it on and then I get a stop code 0xc000021a. I have searched online for solutions regarding the stop code and got nothing about it. Is there any way to fix this problem?...
  6. My PC crashes after blue screen at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC crashes after blue screen at startup: Hello, I have this problem where my PC has a blank blue screen after I turn it on and then I get a stop code 0xc000021a. I have searched online for solutions regarding the stop code and got nothing about it. Is there any way to fix this problem?...
  7. My PC crashes after blue screen at startup

8. Pc Freezing / Hanging / Blue Screening

Pc Freezing / Hanging / Blue Screening: My pc that I've had for about 7 months has been freezing and blue screening. This usually happens when I'm using a small usage program like Google Chrome, Spotify, and even 30 seconds after logging into Windows . When I want to use the small programs I have to have a large...
  9. Windows 10, crash after blue screen on startup

Windows 10, crash after blue screen on startup: Hi I got this problem where my laptop has a blank blue screen after I turn it on and shuts down right after. Is there a way to fix this? Edit: now I get a stop code 0xc000021a I have looked for online fixes regarding the stop code however it doesn't work as my laptop...
  10. PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen

PC hangs after startup, windows frozen, explorer crashes, blue screen: This is a long description but any help would be very appreciated. A few weeks ago my PC has been struggling to boot up normally with no obvious cause. What I mean by "boot normally": I would be able to login and then start opening windows a few seconds after with no issues...