Windows 10: PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality

Discus and support PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My wife's PC has been doing this for about 6 months now. This has happened every time she's restarted the machine rather than hibernating it, with a... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by quietbrit, May 7, 2020.

1. quietbrit Win User

PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality

My wife's PC has been doing this for about 6 months now. This has happened every time she's restarted the machine rather than hibernating it, with a windows update; on restart:

- 5-10 minute delay getting to login screen, no "we're getting things ready",

- after logging in, a black screen

-- ctrl-alt-del works, and allows you to sign out to the login screen,

-- task manager can be launched, but no window ever renders,
    --- after starting task-manager, sometimes pressing alt-e will if you want to terminate windows explorer,
    -- no other key combinations have any effect - cmd-p, cmd-l, cmd-r,

- power-cycling the machine proceeds normally to login,
    - the old "Personalized Settings" dialog appears on the screen,
    - windows hangs here for upto 24+ hours we've not tried longer,
    - some parts of the screen have a spinner associated with them,
    -- cmd-p brings up the projection charm bar,
    -- cmd-l brings up the lock screen,
    -- ctrl-alt-del brings up the reboot/signout screen,
    - starting task manager does not render a window, but does change which mouse cursor appears for some portions of the display,

- rebooting into safe mode does not help,
    -- gets to the safe mode screen with task bar rendered,
    -- clicking on the task bar eventually produces a dialog saying the application is not responding do you want to restart it.

sfc and dism pointed at the c: drive don't see anything wrong;
    - 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 where the problem is occurring,
    - stand-alone windows professional; not in a domain or workgroup.

It's been hit or miss whether rolling back the windows version will solve the problem, most of the time I've ended up having to "reset this pc" :

:)

quietbrit, May 7, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. Settings/Personalization

Hi,

We suggest that you follow the steps below to put your settings back to default and see if it helps.

• Right-click your mouse on your desktop.
    • Click on Personalize.
    • Select Colors.
    • Click on High contrast settings.
    • From the drop-down menu, select None.
    • Click Apply.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, May 7, 2020
  4. PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality

Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, May 7, 2020
Thema:

PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality

1. PC hangs at "Personalized Setting" after Windows Updates, near-zero functionality - Similar Threads - hangs Personalized Setting

2. Windows Updates and Personal Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Updates and Personal Settings: Windows changed my PC settings, PC goes to sleep after about 1 minute inactivity, and even though I keep resetting it back to “NEVER” it still goes to sleep! And now I can’t sign back in with just my password, it is asking me to set a PIN, I also have PIN required setting set...
  3. PC hangs up after update on restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC hangs up after update on restart?: As briefly shown above, my PC has been stuck since yesterday when I rebooted. I had to do an update, and when rebooting it doesn't get any further. The BIOS boots and then the HP icon appears (since I have an HP computer). Shortly after that a text appears: It tries to...
  4. Non functioning of "settings" after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Non functioning of "settings" after Windows 10 update: After installing the latest update of Windows 10, 'Settings" in my HP 430 laptop is not responding. Please suggest remedial measure to be adopted to solve this problem. Since settings is not responding, I am not in a position to try trouble shooting, restoring to previous...
  5. Settings/Update & security/Windows Update hangs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Settings/Update & security/Windows Update hangs: Upgraded from ISO to 18995.1 via UUP Dump as was getting error 0x8007023e using Windows Update Now Settings/Update & security/Windows Update hangs If I then retry Windows Update it doesn't even start and I have to reboot to even get it run again after which it hangs Ran DISM...
  6. zero windows settings stick and stay, zero

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    zero windows settings stick and stay, zero: None of my settings ever made in windows 10 actually stays. I tell it to defrag daily and it always switches back to weekly. I play a video and wonder why my sound sounds like poop and every time I have to switch back the audio settings from 100% volume, 2ch and...
  7. Personalized settings is not responding with Windows 10 update after restart.

Personalized settings is not responding with Windows 10 update after restart.: When I update Windows 10 I get an error telling me personalized settings is not responding after restart. I get a warning box in upper left hand area of screen. Otherwise the screen is frozen and black. I can ctl-alt-del and work from the task manager. I have seen various...
  8. Windows Update + Personalized Settings?

Windows Update + Personalized Settings?: Hi, Near end of automatic windows-update, I got black screen with little with box in upper left corner, with message, "Personalized Settings. Setting up personalized settings for windows desktop update." -that stayed on screen for few minutes, and Updates were then...
  9. personalized settings not responding after every windows update

in Windows 10 Support
    personalized settings not responding after every windows update: Every time there is a windows 10 update and the computer restarts after the update, I can reach the login screen and log in but then I get a black screen with a white box indicating personalized settings not responding. I have done a ctrl alt del to get to task manager and...
  10. Zero battery after Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Zero battery after Anniversary update: It may not be connected of course, but soon after the Anniversary update the battery of my new Cube tablet PC started draining. Battery apps reported that it was charging, and the charging notification light continued to flash, but the level fell to zero and the computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows stuck on personalized settings