Windows 10: PC Hangs before POST on a restart

Discus and support PC Hangs before POST on a restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When REstarting my PC the sequence is as follows, the monitor turns blue, restarting text appears with the circling dots, the screen goes black, fans... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aduckfan, Jan 24, 2021.

1. aduckfan Win User

PC Hangs before POST on a restart

When REstarting my PC the sequence is as follows, the monitor turns blue, restarting text appears with the circling dots, the screen goes black, fans speed up and no signal led flashes on the monitor. At this point, I press the on/off button for five seconds to perform a soft shutdown. Pressing the power button again has the PC go through the normal post, beep heard from the motherboard, ASUS logo appears followed by windows logo and then home screen. Of course, the problem is whenever the system or a program needs to be restarted the pc just hangs there at the beginning of POST. So far no one on any windows 10 forums I've looked at have come up with a solution. This all started when I replaced the CPU and motherboard.

I've tried:

1. disable fast startup in bios.
    2. messed around with power options in setup
    3. removed graphics board
    4. updated all drivers and bios
    5. complete chkdsk
    6. completed SFC
    I appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this. Here's hoping someone has an idea of what's going on.

System Info:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name OFFICE-PC
    System Manufacturer ASUS
    System Model All Series
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU All
    Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2103, 8/18/2014
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Product Z87-PRO
    BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
    User Name OFFICE-PC\djwry
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory RAM 24.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 23.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 18.7 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 27.4 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 20.7 GB
    Page File Space 3.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Interface failedDevice Encryption SupportReasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Graphics:
    Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_128B&SUBSYS_8C931462&REV_A1\4&3834D97&0&0008
    Adapter Type GeForce GT 710, NVIDIA compatible
    Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 710
    Adapter RAM 2,147,483,648 bytes
    Installed Drivers C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_3621da861144492b\nvldumdx.dll
    Driver Version 27.21.14.6109
    INF File oem44.inf Section002 section
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 74 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Memory Address 0xEE000000-0xEEFFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE7FFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xE9FFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 16
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NV_DISPI.INF_AMD64_3621DA861144492B\NVLDDMKM.SYS 27.21.14.6109, 37.29 MB 39,101,848 bytes, 1/19/2021 2:20 PM

:)

aduckfan, Jan 24, 2021

2. computer hangs at POST

my pc hangs at startup at post screen it has now happened for second time what to do I have already tried changing ssd sata cable also changed psu cable that connects ssd what else should I do step by step?

tushar_gamer, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Divin3 Win User
    Windows 10 hangs/freezes on Restart

If this happens even during installation, that means that it is probably a hardware issue. To troubleshoot the problem, I suggest doing the following steps:

1. Install Hard Disk Sentinel and use it to check your HDD/SSD for problems.
    2. Use MemTest to make sure that your RAM is ok. Here is a how to - guide.

After You done these two steps, give a feedback of the results.

Divin3, Jan 24, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

pc hangs at POST

Hi tushar_gamer

If your PC is hanging on POST, then this cannot be a Windows problem, because Windows does not begin to load until POST has completed, regardless of what the event logs show . . .

If your PC is hanging on POST, then this is definitely a BIOS problem

Unplug your PC and if it is a laptop, remove the battery

Press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds

Plug your PC back in and if it is a laptop, replace the Battery

Start your PC and see if it boots into Windows

If not, it may be possible to revert the BIOS update, a lot of manufacturers allow you to do that - what is the make and exact Model No. of you PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . . .

DaveM121, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

1. PC Hangs before POST on a restart - Similar Threads - Hangs before POST

2. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  3. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC hangs and Restart: Hi my PC has been hanging and restarting after the hang. Checking the event logs, there is this error that occurs:The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID...
  4. PC hangs and Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installer hangs right after POST

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installer hangs right after POST: I have been trying to install windows 10 on a computer. Here's what I do1. Make a usb stick32 gb with the official tool2. Plug in the stick to the computerAMD A10, 8gb of ram, 128gb Kingston ssd3. Power up the computer 3.5 Computer POST's successfully 4. Open boot options5....
  6. a problem linked to a before post

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    a problem linked to a before post: HiI have a tp-link usb adpter. Before it would drop out every 5-7 minutes. I figured out that I have to turn airplane mode on then off and then it would work perfectly. Is there any way to not always have to turn airplane mode on then off and have any permanent solution.Thank...
  7. pc hangs at POST

pc hangs at POST: after reflashing bios with same version pc worked fine for many days now it hanged again at bios but windows event log shows kernel power something it means windows is booting and it is windows problem?...
  8. computer hangs at POST

computer hangs at POST: my pc hangs at startup at post screen it has now happened for second time what to do I have already tried changing ssd sata cable also changed psu cable that connects ssd what else should I do step by step?...
  9. PC Restarts Itself, then Stuck on POST

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Restarts Itself, then Stuck on POST: Hi, my sister's PC has been seriously unstable over this month. PC oftenly restarts itself and then stuck on POST. At first, this is only happening max. once in a day. Now it got worse, I can't even use Windows more than 30 minutes, as the PC will restart again and stuck. The...
  10. Hanging at 'Restarting'

Hanging at 'Restarting': My Windows 10 PC hangs at the 'Restarting' screen when installing updates or just restarting the computer. It eventually completes the update or restart, but it takes far too long. The computer is a year old and did not do this until after an update several months ago. How...