Windows 10: PC hard freezes occasionnally

Discus and support PC hard freezes occasionnally in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. I Built myself a new computer last month. Here are the specs: CPU: i7 9700k - GPU : ASUS ROG strix 2070 RTX SUPER RAM: 3200 mhz Corsair... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by icyyy, May 21, 2020.

1. icyyy Win User

PC hard freezes occasionnally

Hello. I Built myself a new computer last month. Here are the specs:

CPU: i7 9700k -
    GPU : ASUS ROG strix 2070 RTX SUPER
    RAM: 3200 mhz Corsair Vengenace 2x16 GB
    SSD: Crucial P.1 1TB
    Cooler: Corsair h115i platinum 280MM
    PSU: Corsair rm750x
    motherboard: MPG z390 gaming pro carbon
    4x fans for airflow
    case: rosewill Prism S

The crashes USUALLY happen when gaming it did happen once when i was just browsing the web . The crashes are Hard freezes, as in mouse/keyboard stay frozen, sound stops or makes weird loop noise.
    I have to hold down the power button and restart it that way.

temps are ALWAYS Fine, i monitor them 24/7 . Idle 32-36, gaming 50-60
    GPU temps never go over 55 either
    My problem started as soon as i began gaming with the rig. The problem is very hard to pinpoint, because i can go a week+ without any crashes, or it can happen twice in a day.

Event viewer only reports the kernel 41 Bad shutoff procedure

At first i thought it was the RAM because of the Hard freezes, so i ran memtest86 multiple passes which all succeeded. i still thought it was the RAM, so I RMA'ed it and got a new pair, freezes still happening.

Than i Thought it was the PSU i had a 650W EVGA before So i changed it for the Corsair RM750x, but the crashes are still happening.

After that I disabled XMP, disable intel Turbo boost and ran fine for 2 weeks + no crashes

So after 2 weeks of no crash I decided to enable XMP + turbo boost back, and I crashed eventually. maybe 3-4 days

So after that I disabled XMP, but left Turbo-boost ON . I just crashed 2 days ago on those settings. that was my last crash

Right now I'm running Turbo Boost OFF, but i manually overclocked my CPU @ 4.7 GHZ . havent crashed yet, but its been only 2 days and sometimes can take a week + to crash.

At this point im pretty sure its not the RAM or the PSU. Leaning towards CPU, GPU or SSD...

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing any of these issues,

Cheers.

:)

icyyy, May 21, 2020
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z 0.7.8 / 0.7.9 / 0.8.0 Bios reading not possible GTX670-solved with gpu-z 0.8.1

@Maban - does GPU-Z fail the same way for you the way it does for me? I.e. total system freeze/lockup, requiring a hard reset?

@W1zzard - I will try the suggested steps later today, as I am not near that PC at the moment.

3. RealNeil Win User
    Hard Freeze problem.

SeaSonic is the best choice out of the ones that you listed. I think that it's the best there is. (my own opinion)

Your Power Supply is the single most important component in your computer.

Without a good brand that you can trust to work optimally, everything else in the system is at risk. It's the logical first-step when building a PC.
    Remember that if a poor quality power supply fails, it can take out a lot of your other PC components at the same time. (it's happened to me before)
    If a high quality PSU fails, it will not destroy the rest of your system.

RealNeil, May 21, 2020
  4. Divin3 Win User

Windows 10 hangs/freezes on Restart

If this happens even during installation, that means that it is probably a hardware issue. To troubleshoot the problem, I suggest doing the following steps:

1. Install Hard Disk Sentinel and use it to check your HDD/SSD for problems.
    2. Use MemTest to make sure that your RAM is ok. Here is a how to - guide.

After You done these two steps, give a feedback of the results.

Divin3, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. PC hard freezes occasionnally - Similar Threads - hard freezes occasionnally

2. How to fix PC hard freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix PC hard freezing: My PC used to hard freeze when I was gaming and I thought it may be due to the PC overheating so I didn't think much of it. However, it has now started to hard freeze when I do simple things like browsing the web and has become very annoying as I am having to constantly hard...
  3. How to fix PC hard freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix PC hard freezing: My PC used to hard freeze when I was gaming and I thought it may be due to the PC overheating so I didn't think much of it. However, it has now started to hard freeze when I do simple things like browsing the web and has become very annoying as I am having to constantly hard...
  4. PC hard freezing, usbs lose power?

PC hard freezing, usbs lose power?: Asus Rog Maximus Z790 Herointel-i9 13600kfGigabyte 4090 AERO 24gbCorsair RM1000x2 Team Group T-force Delta 16GB DDR5 Ram sticks2 980 Pro SSD NVMeBeen having this weird issue with my PC when gaming. It doesn't happen every time but seems to occur when the game is more stress...
  5. My pc hard freezes for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc hard freezes for no reason: Hey I have prob with my pc it crashes every time when I'm playing games no meter how low spec game it still crashes... I have no mini dump files cuz my pc hard freezes and I'm forced to press that restart button on my pc.... but I can give you the system...
  6. My pc hard freezes for no reason

My pc hard freezes for no reason: Hey I have prob with my pc it crashes every time when I'm playing games no meter how low spec game it still crashes... I have no mini dump files cuz my pc hard freezes and I'm forced to press that restart button on my pc.... but I can give you the system...
  7. My pc keeps hard freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps hard freezing: Hello my pc keeps freezing only when i play games my mouse and keyboard stops responding i can still hear sound for a few minutes then nothing and i have to turn the power off and on , the problem started when i switched from a tv to a 144hz monitor, my tv was limited to 60...
  8. My pc keeps hard freezing

My pc keeps hard freezing: Hello my pc keeps freezing only when i play games my mouse and keyboard stops responding i can still hear sound for a few minutes then nothing and i have to turn the power off and on , the problem started when i switched from a tv to a 144hz monitor, my tv was limited to 60...
  9. PC hard freezes on reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC hard freezes on reset: I've been having Driver issues lately so i figured the best way to fix it was a windows reset. The process goes fine up until i reach the actually Resetting page where it just freezes at 12% - 16% and even the loading symbol freezes too. Would really appriciate the help....
  10. Pc freezes and requires hard boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc freezes and requires hard boot.: So recently I have been experiences crashes with my PC. My screen completely freezes, and I hear a notification sound in the background. I have tried to get minidump files, but there are none. I have the latest graphics card drivers. I also have the latest windows update...