Windows 10: PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,...

Discus and support PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey everyone,I'm having an issue where web browsers and downloads via those browsers are working fine, but programs like Discord, the Windows Store,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by itoShane, Oct 8, 2022.

1. itoShane Win User

PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,...

Hey everyone,I'm having an issue where web browsers and downloads via those browsers are working fine, but programs like Discord, the Windows Store, etc. have no connection.It's Windows 11, my drivers are up to date, power saving settings on all my network adapter devices turned off, and my windows is up to date. No updates or optional updates available. Proxy is turned off and most settings are automatic and on DHCP. I do not have any third party antivirus software.Thus far, I've tried:Restarting my router.A different ethernet cable + switching to wifiTurning off all my firewalls/Windows defe

:)

itoShane, Oct 8, 2022
  2. jcaswell Win User

W10 can connect to wider internet but cannot access web pages

I have an odd issue with my W10 laptop linked to Sky broadband in the UK via wifi using a Sky router. The effect is that while I can actually access the internet (I can send and receive emails using Outlook and can connect to other machines using TeamViewer) I cannot access any web site (Google, BBC etc). There is no specific error message, merely that the access request timed out and a suggestion that it may be to do with proxy.

I have tried the following:

1. Other systems (W10 and ios) can access web sites using the same Sky router (therefore probably not a router problem)
    2. I have sent and received emails using Outlook, so the broadband connection is working (probably not a Sky problem)
    3. I have tried two different browsers (Firefox and Edge), no connection (not a browser problem)
    4. I am using Windows Defender and have:
      1. Made sure that Firefox is in the list of allowed systems in its Firewall, no connection after a reboot
      2. Turned off the Firewall and tried again - no connection
    My next step will be to re-install Windows, but has anyone got any other suggestions? Could it be some sort of virus (I have carried out a complete virus check using Defender)

So - any suggestions?

jcaswell, Oct 8, 2022
  3. Velcro Win User
    Steam conflicts with internet?

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my internet every time after I finish playing counterstrike sorce. What happens is the following: After I finish playing the game (logging off steam), and try to use internet explorer or firefox, my internet does not work (cannot connect to any websites). Its like steam screws up my internet completely. The only way I have gotten around this problem is by restarting my PC every time I want to browse the web. Anyone experience this with Steam? I only get this issue after playing any steam game. Thanks for reading.

Velcro, Oct 8, 2022
  4. Louie_101 Win User

PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,...

discord on PC slow?

Hi there! I am Louie, a Microsoft Community member and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. Hope you're doing well and safe there.

You may try some solutions below that might help fix the problem:

Solution 1: Close Unnecessary Programs

It’s common to see Discord lagging if you’re running multiple programs on your PC, because some of them may conflict with Discord. To solve the problem, you can try ending unnecessary programs.

You just need to press Shift + Ctrl + Esc to open Task Manager. Then right-click the program you don’t use currently and select End task to close it. After you close all the unnecessary applications which run with Discord at the same time, you can check if
    your Discord works fine.

Solution 2: Turn Off Hardware Acceleration

Another way to fix Discord lagging issue is turning off Hardware Acceleration. You can follow the steps below.

Step 1: Run Discord and go to Settings.

Step 2: Click Appearance from the left pane and toggle off the switch button of Hardware Acceleration.

Step 3: In the pop-up window, click Okay to confirm the operation. Then restart your Discord to see if Discord lagging issue is fixed.

Solution 3: Clear Discord Cache Files

If too many cache files and cookies are accumulated on the PC, Discord lagging issue might appear. In this case, you need to clear Discord cache files.

Step 1: Exit Discord.

Step 2: Press Win + R to invoke Run window. Then input %APPDATA%/Discord/Cache and click OK to open the cache folder in File Explorer.

Step 3: Now press Ctrl + A to select all files in the window. Then press Delete key to delete them.

Then you can relaunch Discord and check if the problem has been solved.

Solution 4: Reset Discord Voice Settings

Improper voice settings could also lead to Discord lagging issue. If you have changed any settings recently, you may need to reset them to default.

Just open Discord and go to Settings. Then select Voice & Video from the left pane and click Reset Voice Settings in the right pane. Click Okay in the pop-up window. After the operation, you can relaunch Discord and see if it works normally.

Solution 5: Update Your Drivers

If your Discord gets lagging, you can also try update your graphics driver or audio driver to fix the problem. Because the issue might appear when you’re using faulty or corrupted drivers.

Step 1: Open Run window and type devmgmt.msc in the dialog box. Then press Enter to access Device Manager.

Step 2: Double-click Audio inputs and outputs to expand the list. Then right-click your audio driver and select Update driver.

Tip: To update graphics driver, you need to double-click Display adapters, right-click your graphic driver and choose Update driver.

Step 3: In the pop-up window, choose Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the instructions to finish the process.

Then restart your computer and use Discord again to see if this solution works.

Solution 6: Reinstall Discord

If none of the solutions above works for you, you may need to reinstall Discord to fix Discord lagging issue. Let’s uninstall the program first.

Step 1: Go to Control Panel.

Step 2: Select View by: Category and then click Uninstall a program.

Step 3: Right-click Discord and select Uninstall.

Step 4: Follow the instructions to finish uninstalling Discord.

Then you can download and install Discord manually. After it is installed, launch it to see if the issue has been removed.

Hope this helps

Sincerely,

Louie

Louie_101, Oct 8, 2022
Thema:

1. PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,... - Similar Threads - has internet connection

2. Not Connected message but PC is connected to internet and can surf the web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Connected message but PC is connected to internet and can surf the web: My parents Windows 10 PC stopped having sound output or input devices. As I was trying to fix that issue through the troubleshooter it pulls up a "Looks like you aren't connected to the internet" window. So I checked my internet connection and it's on ethernet and the browser...
  3. Not Connected message but PC is connected to internet and can surf the web

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not Connected message but PC is connected to internet and can surf the web: My parents Windows 10 PC stopped having sound output or input devices. As I was trying to fix that issue through the troubleshooter it pulls up a "Looks like you aren't connected to the internet" window. So I checked my internet connection and it's on ethernet and the browser...
  4. Not Connected message but PC is connected to internet and can surf the web

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC has an internet connection and I can browse the web, but programs like Discord, Steam,...: Hey everyone,I'm having an issue where web browsers and downloads via those browsers are working fine, but programs like Discord, the Windows Store, etc. have no connection.It's Windows 11, my drivers are up to date, power saving settings on all my network adapter devices...
  6. Programs like Discord keep restarting while Steam crashes for no reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs like Discord keep restarting while Steam crashes for no reason: I have performance issues with my laptop the other night and I found a guide suggesting that I should change the paging size for Virtual Memory to what is recommended. I don't exactly know if this is the cause of the issue but this afternoon, at some point the device would...
  7. I'm connected to the internet but I can only browse

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm connected to the internet but I can only browse: When ever i open the windows app store it says " PC is not connected to the internet, try again." But the thing is, i am connected to the internet, i can browse, watch youtube play music, i was able to download seam. But i cant download discord because of " not being...
  8. Microsoft services not able to connect to internet while I can browse the web.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft services not able to connect to internet while I can browse the web.: I can use all apps expect microsoft apps excluding edge. Please help submitted by /u/Lolmohitmvp [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jae6lp/microsoft_services_not_able_to_connect_to/
  9. I can browse the Internet but it says i'm not connected.

I can browse the Internet but it says i'm not connected.: I'm connected to the internet and I can browse on internet, play online games and install programs. However it says I'm not connected to the network this stops me from downloading new network updates or logging onto adobe to do work. Sometimes when the PC is shutdown and...
  10. Ethernet (No Internet) but i can browse, watch youtube, discord.

Ethernet (No Internet) but i can browse, watch youtube, discord.: The problem is my windows think that I have no internet connection, and because of this I can't update my windows it will stay at "pending download", I've tried the network reset method, still not working, and I can confirm that I can't open Microsoft Store or Windows Edge....