Windows 10: PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes

Discus and support PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use the PC, walk away, and everytime it sits awhile it is off when I go back. I have to push power button, it boots showing the bios screen just like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes

I use the PC, walk away, and everytime it sits awhile it is off when I go back. I have to push power button, it boots showing the bios screen just like it actually is completely off.

There are no lights on, the PC does not react to keyboard or mouse, only the power button which seems to be starting the PC.

I went to power settings and see nothing odd.

:)

sdowney717, Jan 6, 2017
  2. gmopro Win User

PC is turning off after 3 minutes, but i have screen saver set for 5 minutes and turn off set for 15 minutes.

Not sure why it is doing this.

I tested it 2 times and both times it turns off the screen and keyboard light after about 3 minutes. Odd.

WHat settings other than Turning Off Pc wait time that would do this? Shouldnt turn off until 15 minutes of inactivity while plugged in. That is the setting. It should kick into screen saver mode after 5 minutes.

My sleep mode wait time is 1 hour plugged in so that isnt it.

gmopro, Jan 6, 2017
  3. gmopro Win User
    PC is turning off after 3 minutes, but i have screen saver set for 5 minutes and turn off set for 15 minutes.

changes to settings? well, i set the wait time for screen saver. That shouldnt cause issues.

There are no error codes. Everything works fine except it turns off after 3 minutes of no activity and no idea why it does that. Need the screen saver to go on
    after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I will do Troubleshooter in the morning. it is very late now. Thanks.

Can you please answer this question though?:

But the only thing that would impact the screen turning off is the setting for Choose when to Turn off the Display, correct?

gmopro, Jan 6, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes

Control Panel, Power Options.

The bad part of adjusting just one thing is other things such as powering down the HDD will interfere, have to go through every setting to see what needs changing to accomplish what you want. And on Notebooks one has to make separate changes in the sections on When on battery or When on AC power.

Berton, Jan 6, 2017
  5. This is a desktop. I did reset power options.
    Will see what happens.

I am posting a lot of win10 questions because I am switching my wife from old win7 PC to this newer win 10 pc, and not everything is smooth going. There have been problems.

Another weird issue, the nvidia 8400gs, device manager said need to restart to enable driver, but over 10 restarts it always says must restart to enable. So I went to nvidia and am installing newest video driver now, will see what happens.

sdowney717, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes

1. PC is turning completely off? Set to turn off screen at 10 minutes - Similar Threads - turning completely off

2. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off: I’m having trouble keeping my screen from going dark in about 20 minutes. I’ve researched this site and others, and have already tried the following: Set both “Screen” and “Sleep” to NEVER when plugged in. Went to “Additional Power Settings” and “Choose or Customize Power...
  3. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off: I’m having trouble keeping my screen from going dark in about 20 minutes. I’ve researched this site and others, and have already tried the following: Set both “Screen” and “Sleep” to NEVER when plugged in. Went to “Additional Power Settings” and “Choose or Customize Power...
  4. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Screen turn off in 2 minutes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen turn off in 2 minutes: Hey,Every time I leave the room, even for 2 minutes windows is locked and the display is turning off.Dynamic lock is off; andDisplay settings are:Does some has a clue how to stop it? Win 10...
  6. Screen turns off after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen turns off after 1 minute: I set my time after screen turns off to 5 minutes, but it keeps turning off and locking after 1 minute of inactivity. The weird thing is I tried setting screen saver to 2 minutes and then turned screen saver off and then the screen turned off after 2 minutes, but when I...
  7. Screen turns off after 1 minute

Screen turns off after 1 minute: I set my time after screen turns off to 5 minutes, but it keeps turning off and locking after 1 minute of inactivity. The weird thing is I tried setting screen saver to 2 minutes and then turned screen saver off and then the screen turned off after 2 minutes, but when I...
  8. Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.

Laptop takes 3 minutes to turn off after the screen is turned off.: Hello. I have a HP 15s-eq0005nv laptop. Since I bought this laptop 9 months ago, every time I get an update something goes wrong and "breaks". Recently I have been having a huge problem with this laptop. When I click to shut down my laptop the screen turns off normally, but...
  9. Screen will not turn off after 15 minutes.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen will not turn off after 15 minutes.: Hello. Ever since I installed the May 2020 update, my screen will not turn off after 15 minutes like I set it to. This is a fresh installation of the OS, I even tried using "sfc /scannow" but no corrupted files were found. I'm not sure if this is an issue everyone is...
  10. Tablet turns off completely

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tablet turns off completely: I only want to turn screen off. Can't find Setting that needs change. Advice requested please? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/tablet-turns-off-completely/ddcf7547-f775-4dda-9c0e-36e08a153c0f