Windows 10: PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep.

Discus and support PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Also, cortana was reactivated, making me thing all the tracking and keylogging disabling and other crap I did when I first installed might have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Drunken_Hamster, Apr 7, 2020.

1. PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep.

Also, cortana was reactivated, making me thing all the tracking and keylogging disabling and other crap I did when I first installed might have been undone. I can track down the vids to make my PC "private" again, but I can't figure out how to get windows to go back to how I had this specific setting.

Any tips? It's literally just requiring a password login when the screen shuts off after the 15 minutes I set it to. Screen saver is after 5 minutes, I think, but I haven't tested if it needs the PW after that, I've only noticed it when the screen goes off.

Just to be clear I DO want it to require a password after the PC goes into sleep mode, just not when the MONITOR sleeps or does the screen saver.

Uhh, it's a custom installation on a custom-built gaming rig, if that's pertinent.

submitted by /u/Drunken_Hamster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Drunken_Hamster, Apr 7, 2020
  2. bluzeboy Win User

I have my password set to let me sign in automatically

2. Screen goes off, but PC not asleep (this is easy- no lock screen or anything.

this how i have it set

1. PC goes to sleep then resumes
    2. Screen goes off, but PC not asleep (this is easy- no lock screen or anything.
    3. Lock screen (as in Windows key + L)
    4. Hibernation + resume

Please try clicking the start button, power, then click sleep.
    Wait for the PC to sleep.
    Wake it- you should see your desktop, no login required.

Now try Windows key + L (lock)
    Then click the screen
    I think you will find you have to log in.

i tried all the steps you provided
    & no logon was required,but when the moniter shut the screen off upon returning ,log in was required

bluzeboy, Apr 7, 2020
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Apr 7, 2020
  4. PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep.

PC goes into black screen and froze

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not a software related issue which is why I was suggesting that you remove the video card to start with since it's such an easy process of elimination step.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs, I did see that you had listed in your system specs but I had no idea whether or not it has an iGPU

Is there any possibility of you being able to get your hands on any compatible video card at all?it would be the easiest step to try to troubleshoot or at least one of the easier ones. You should be able to get into the bios without anything but A display cable hooked up to the motherboard

jboydgolfer, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep.

1. PC just started requiring password after the screen goes off but PC not asleep. - Similar Threads - started requiring password

2. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not turn on after falling asleep: I step away from my PC a lot and leave it running, and then it falls asleep. Recently, I come back to wake it up and nothing happens. The lights on the tower come on, and I can hear the fans running, so there is power. But nothing else happens. Monitor is completely black,...
  3. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC will not turn on after falling asleep: I step away from my PC a lot and leave it running, and then it falls asleep. Recently, I come back to wake it up and nothing happens. The lights on the tower come on, and I can hear the fans running, so there is power. But nothing else happens. Monitor is completely black,...
  4. PC will not turn on after falling asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc screen starts glitching randomly and sometimes pc becomes unresponsive or it just goes on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc screen starts glitching randomly and sometimes pc becomes unresponsive or it just goes on: Pc Screen starts to glitch, recently my bluetooth mouse stopped working only the keyboard works now and since then the problem is revurring , the pc just suddenly goes on a rampage, the whole screen starts glitching left right and if I get scared that its about to explode and...
  6. Pc screen starts glitching randomly and sometimes pc becomes unresponsive or it just goes on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc screen starts glitching randomly and sometimes pc becomes unresponsive or it just goes on: Pc Screen starts to glitch, recently my bluetooth mouse stopped working only the keyboard works now and since then the problem is revurring , the pc just suddenly goes on a rampage, the whole screen starts glitching left right and if I get scared that its about to explode and...
  7. Pc screen starts glitching randomly and sometimes pc becomes unresponsive or it just goes on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. cant restart my pc it just comes on and goes off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant restart my pc it just comes on and goes off: my pc just flickers on and off it wont stay on long enough to finish restarting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-restart-my-pc-it-just-comes-on-and-goes-off/971b3141-388a-43f0-85a6-d5112745bfb8
  9. Not able to open pc, just goes to a blue screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not able to open pc, just goes to a blue screen: Brand new Dell PC and today cant open just goes to a blue screen. Called Dell and they said the hardware is working fine and I have a software issue...
  10. Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?: How do I set the screen to go on and off so I don't have to press 2 buttons every time? Bildschirm geht aus und an wenn pc aus und an geht?