Windows 10: PC keeps disconnecting from wifi although network remains available

Discus and support PC keeps disconnecting from wifi although network remains available in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Having incredibly frustrating and confusing issue. Sometimes when I am using the internet, totally randomly with no ping spike or anything before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by arisutan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. arisutan Win User

PC keeps disconnecting from wifi although network remains available

Having incredibly frustrating and confusing issue. Sometimes when I am using the internet, totally randomly with no ping spike or anything before happening, my PC will disconnect from my wireless network. The symbol goes from the connected wifi symbol to the one with the star - it can still see my network but for some reason has chosen to disconnect itself. It does not affect anyone else in the house or my phone or my laptop next to me. It will try and fail to reconnect a few times before eventually reconnecting, but it's incredibly slow during this process and frustrating to watch, by which time whatever game I was playing I can't reconnect to. It's actually faster for me to restart my entire PC because of my SSD. Troubleshooting/resetting the adapter seems to make no difference.*Mad

Why is this happening? Please help me

:)

arisutan, Oct 17, 2016

2. Wifi adapter not shown in network selection but in device manager

My devices

hp pavilion 15 n005tx

rt 3290 wifi adapter

First there was some problem with my original adapter. If I'm near the router it will connect but if i move some 10 feet it will disconnect and from there I cannot connect.

So i bought a external wifi adapter and it worked fine in windows 8. When both adapters are available the available networks will show up under "wifi" and "wifi-2" in the connect disconnect menu. but after i upgrade to windows 8.1 although the external adapter
    is installed fine in the device manager and in network adapters it will not show wifi-2 in connect/disconnect menu.

Now i have upgraded to windows 10 and the problem is as same as in 8.1.

Problem here is the external adapter doesn't show in connect/disconnect menu although it is installed properly

NavodaGinige, Oct 17, 2016
  3. CJLim Win User
    packet data wont turn off when connecting to wifi

but what happens if the phone is connected to wi-fi network but that network doesnt have internet access? does the phone switch to cellular data?

As a matter of fact, I only checked that out last week when my secondary wireless access point was accidentally disconnected from the router. Phone remained connected to wifi but was unable to load webpages.

CJLim, Oct 17, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to look at possible channel congestion for wifi, possible failing Gateway if wifi is part of it, distance from Wifi to computer, computer not having a good enough antenna to pick up a strong signal, wifi on gateway not being that great and the cause of the problem.

Way too many variables. You need to start off by going to metageek.net for inSSIDer or netstumbler.com for Netstumbler. There are a few others out there that allow you to see active access points, channel(s) that they are on, Signal Strength, speed and what type of wifi radio (a/b/g/n/ac), whether it is 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

bro67, Oct 17, 2016
  5. arisutan Win User
    Yeah, I figured it's too broad a problem to just tackle as it is so I was just hoping for some pointers, thank you for those. I would like to add it only seems to happen when I'm doing things like online gaming, it doesn't really happy when I'm just browsing the web or uploading/downloading as usual. Not sure if that helps.

I downloaded this network stumbler thing but it's not doing anything, it says unsupported next to my wireless adapter so perhaps this software won't work for me.

PC keeps disconnecting from wifi although network remains available [​IMG]

it's possibly because I am very far from the router but my phone (nexus 6p) and my laptop (a 2 year old toshiba) do not suffer at this distance. Also I have an antenna attached to my wireless card running a good 5-6m down the other end of my room which has a big range and should definitely catch my router.
    This issue is a relatively recent issue and my PC and router have not been moved for a few years so I don't really see that being the issue anyway. We have a 5GHz version of my network but I don't use it, I use whatever the other one is ��

arisutan, Oct 17, 2016
  6. mike s Win User
    You can use this Android app to map all of the nearby wifi signals and look for congestion.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en

mike s, Oct 17, 2016
  7. One thing you can do is to see if you can decrease the distance between the router and your pc use an extension box if neccessary and connect the wifi and your pc using a lan to lan cable that should resolve the issue if it was due to range or anything

saiteja1423, Oct 17, 2016
  8. arisutan Win User

As I mentioned my laptop and phone suffer nothing from the same distance. My laptop is on the same desk right now using the same wifi and it remains connected and as fast as it should be. My situation has declined recently and I can't use my internet on my desktop most of the time anymore.

arisutan, Oct 20, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Check the logs on your gateway if it has built in wifi. Connection issues from your modem to the ISP headend can also cause disconnects.

Sign up for one of the Sam Knows units to watch your line. I have mine set to just watch line quality issues, not using it between my Edge Router and UVerse Gateway, since it tends to slow down packets when it inspects them. Consumers | SamKnows

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC keeps disconnecting from wifi although network remains available - Similar Threads - keeps disconnecting wifi

2. My computer keeps disconnecting from the wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer keeps disconnecting from the wifi network: In my household we have two wifi networks, a 2.4G one and a 5.8 one. Each time I turn my computer on it'll connect to either one, but after a short while running it just disconnects. If you open the wifi pannel to try and reconnect it'll say the network's not safe and it has...
  3. My computer keeps disconnecting from the wifi network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer keeps disconnecting from the wifi network: In my household we have two wifi networks, a 2.4G one and a 5.8 one. Each time I turn my computer on it'll connect to either one, but after a short while running it just disconnects. If you open the wifi pannel to try and reconnect it'll say the network's not safe and it has...
  4. PC Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi: I have a Lenovo laptop I got for Christmas 2020. For the first few months of owning it, it worked just fine. Until one day, just like my first laptop, it repeatedly started to disconnect and sometimes rarely reconnect to wifi. As mentioned, I have had this issue in the past....
  5. PC Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi: I have a Lenovo laptop I got for Christmas 2020. For the first few months of owning it, it worked just fine. Until one day, just like my first laptop, it repeatedly started to disconnect and sometimes rarely reconnect to wifi. As mentioned, I have had this issue in the past....
  6. PC Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. PC Keeps Disconnecting From Network

PC Keeps Disconnecting From Network: Hello everyone, I keep having issues with my PC's network connectivity. Last week our household installed a new router and ever since I am having connectivity issues. My PC constantly disconnects from the network. I have told my PC to forget the network and then logged back...
  8. PC Keeps Disconnecting From Network

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Keeps Disconnecting From Network: Hello everyone, I keep having issues with my PC's network connectivity. Last week our household installed a new router and ever since I am having connectivity issues. My PC constantly disconnects from the network. I have told my PC to forget the network and then logged back...
  9. wifi keeps disconnecting from the wifi network

wifi keeps disconnecting from the wifi network: My laptop on wifi network keeps disconnecting frequently. I am not able to understand what is the problem. While my mobile phone is always connected on the same Wifi network. [img] [img] [img] Here are a couple of screenshots how I have to restore the connectivity...
  10. wifi keeps disconnecting from the wifi network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi keeps disconnecting from the wifi network: My laptop on wifi network keeps disconnecting frequently. I am not able to understand what is the problem. While my mobile phone is always connected on the same Wifi network. [img] [img] [img] Here are a couple of screenshots how I have to restore the connectivity...