Windows 10: PC keeps rebooting, then stops...

Discus and support PC keeps rebooting, then stops... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This puzzles me and don't know where to start, or rather continue to troubleshoot. The PC in question has: Core i5 2nd Generation CPU (Sandy Bridge) 8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Cr00zng Win User

PC keeps rebooting, then stops...

This puzzles me and don't know where to start, or rather continue to troubleshoot. The PC in question has:

• Core i5 2nd Generation CPU (Sandy Bridge)
    • 8 GB memory (2 x 4)
    • 2 x 256 GB Samsung SSD
    • 1 x 1 GB Seagate HDD
    • 1 x CD/DVD drive
    • 1 x 650W power supply

The PC runs W10 Professional 64-bit, version 1803. The last time the PC case had been open must be 2-3 years ego, but opened today. The PC had been moved about 9 month ego to its current location.

It has been pretty much trouble free, until last week. The PC starts up, boots Windows, presents the login screen, but by the time the credentials entered, the system reboots on it is own. After the second and subsequents reboots, it reaches to the point that Windows does not finish to load or it doesn't even start loading and just reboots. After "n" number of reboots, the system does not boot anymore.

Leaving the system down and shutting off the power switch for a longer time period does allow start up again. Entering in the BIOS at this time gives just enough time to get the MB and CPU model numbers and it reboots again.

Opened up the case both sides and verified that all five fans are running, as soon as the system is started. Disconnected all of the drives and started the system, the BIOS stated that "No bootable device found..." and back to cycling reboots.

Reset the memory, tried booting with just one memory card, remove/reconnect power cables to the MB and video card did not matter, the PC is cycling reboots.

There's not enough time to do any troubleshooting with the cycling reboot, the system does not have any beeps or otherwise indicating issues.

The plan is to reset the CPU and if that's not resolving the issue, replace the power supply. If it's still having the same issue, replace the CPU, MB and memory.

Prior to going there, does anyone have a suggestion how to verify the source of this issue?

TIA...

:)

Cr00zng, Oct 3, 2018
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Oct 3, 2018
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 3, 2018
  4. Chewy Win User

windows explorer keeps rebooting

I took my comp out of the case yesterday because I wanted to get started on painting/modding the chassis.. on first boot I had this issue but after I restarted my comp it went away. Today I go to turn it on and when it gets in windows it just constantly says windows explorer stopped responding and just keeps rebooting windows explorer non stop.

I tried starting windows in safe mod but than it still keeps rebooting and even faster since the system is faster in safe mode.. well when I force shutdown last message that pops up before it turns off is like this.

"0000-00000- something something - cannot read memory" something similar to that.

the mobo is on top of the mobo box I plugged everything back in perfectly but ofc as usual my comp gives me problems.. or just vista lol I dont think my computer likes vista for its always given me problems but this is the software I want to use and wil not go back to xp since it has no dx10.

my mobo has a little bend in it from my zalman 9500 cpu cooler backplate, but I would think that if the memory/ram does not have perfect contact than he comp would not work...

Anyone have suggestions they will be appreciated, I have a headache now lol.

Chewy, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

1. PC keeps rebooting, then stops... - Similar Threads - keeps rebooting stops

2. My pc keeps rebooting itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps rebooting itself: I noticed my pc keeps rebooting itself while playing a game, it seems to be a hardware issue more than a game issue but it only happens when i play the gameSpecs:Nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6 gbAmd Ryzen 5 1600x quad-core processor16 gb ramMsi B360M PRO-VD plus motherboardEvent...
  3. My pc keeps rebooting itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc keeps rebooting itself: I noticed my pc keeps rebooting itself while playing a game, it seems to be a hardware issue more than a game issue but it only happens when i play the gameSpecs:Nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6 gbAmd Ryzen 5 1600x quad-core processor16 gb ramMsi B360M PRO-VD plus motherboardEvent...
  4. My pc keeps rebooting itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My PC keeps rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps rebooting: Recently my pc has started to reboot unexpectedly and at random interval of times. When I go to the system event viewer the only thing that I can see are the events ID 2505 and 10001...
  6. My PC keeps rebooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC keeps rebooting: Recently my pc has started to reboot unexpectedly and at random interval of times. When I go to the system event viewer the only thing that I can see are the events ID 2505 and 10001...
  7. PC keep blue screen and rebooting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC keep blue screen and rebooting: keep habing blue screen when i check the event viewer like this The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a 0x0000000000000014, 0x00000000000000ff, 0x00000000000000e5, 0xfffff8022cacbc17. A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  8. Stop rebooting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop rebooting: How do I stop nightly re-booting? Recently it asked me what time to re-boot for Windows10 update and I remember setting 10pm somewhere, now I can't find it and I reboot nightly....
  9. Pc keeps rebooting or hard hanging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc keeps rebooting or hard hanging: it started a day ago i was playing dota then the monitor said no connection but i could still hear discord and the dota sound though i dont think my friend could hear me so i unpluged the pc after that i booted it the monitor seemed fine there is a display though after less...
  10. PC keeps rebooting while playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps rebooting while playing: Hi all, My PC running Windows 10 keeps on rebooting while playing video games. So far it occurred with World of Warcraft only. Both GPU and CPU temperatures weren't high. For some reasons, I can't find any dump file to upload here. The directory doesn't exist, nor the...