Windows 10: PC locks up when re-starting

Discus and support PC locks up when re-starting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My home PC locks up every time I try to re-start it. PC: Zoostorm (model 7910-4349/B Windows 10, version 1803 When I select the re-start option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Russell Middleton, Oct 17, 2018.

1. PC locks up when re-starting

My home PC locks up every time I try to re-start it.

PC: Zoostorm (model 7910-4349/B

Windows 10, version 1803

When I select the re-start option from the power menu my PC locks up.

I then have to use the power button to turn off my system.

If I use the shut down option from the power menu, the PC will turn off.

This has happened ever since Windows 10 was installed.

As you can guess, every time there is an update I have problems!

I select the 'Re-start' option from the power menu.

The screen goes blank (brown background) with the works 'Restarting' appearing.

The circle of dots appears and rotates.

After approximately seven seconds, the dots will stop moving.

I have left the system overnight to see if it would work given time, no joy.

To continue, I have to turn the power off using the on/off switch on the front of my PC.

Does anybody know how I can find out what is causing my PC to lock up?

Is there a way I can log what is happening when my PC tries to restart?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

:)

Russell Middleton, Oct 17, 2018

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 17, 2018
  3. RCoon Win User
    PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, Oct 17, 2018
  4. PC locks up when re-starting

Lock Screen Image Issue

Hi Kirby,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I would suggest you to set the default pictures as the Lock Screen picture from the PC and check if it works or not.

Follow the steps below:

• In start type "settings" and press enter.
    • Select Personalize
    • From the left click on "Lock screen"
    • Select the default picture and conform by preview.
    Please do get back to us to assist you better with issue you are facing.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

PC locks up when re-starting

1. PC locks up when re-starting - Similar Threads - locks starting

2. My Windows 10 computer that I have used for a year, locks by itself and won’t start up again

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My Windows 10 computer that I have used for a year, locks by itself and won’t start up again: I have used this HP computer for a year now, and it works fine. Recently, while I was playing a game, it went to a blue screen like you see with shutting down the computer, but with “Shutting down…” replaced with “Locking…” This screen flashed for a second before the screen...
  3. PC Start Up Stuck at Lock Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PC Start Up Stuck at Lock Screen: Hi so my dad recently got a all in one pc, an acer model. Out of no where it doesn't let you log in anymore. At the lock screen if you press a key the background will get blurry but nothing pops up for entering your pin. I've tried booting the pc in safe mode but after...
  4. What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What's the command used to overwrite a program preventing the lock screen from starting?: I remember using command prompt to overwrite OBS Studio which prevents the lock screen from starting, but I can't find the command anywhere online. Does anyone know the command?...
  5. How to fix this and/or speed it up? Every time I start up my pc it gets to this lock screen...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to fix this and/or speed it up? Every time I start up my pc it gets to this lock screen...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/z76101 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mani88/how_to_fix_this_andor_speed_it_up_every_time_i/
  6. start menu locked please help!!

start menu locked please help!!: when i press the "F7" key after i open the start menu. the menu gets locked and i cant use my mouse to choose anything on the menu. i have no idea how to unlock the start menu other than signing out and back in again. can anyone please help? also, why is this happen only...
  7. Background Picture on Start up before Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background Picture on Start up before Lock Screen: Hi. When my Windows 10 first starts up, it shows a random picture of a logo that I was working with a couple of days ago. It only shows for about 3 seconds before the Lock Screen Image that I am used to pops up as it should do. How do I get rid of this logo image showing...
  8. How to get the number lock to stay on during start up.

How to get the number lock to stay on during start up.: Many people had this question and I was unable to answer it because the question was locked. So to @FannyFanakan I think that was your name this is how you do it. 1. A. Go in to the search bar and type command prompt...just below the result you will see run as...
  9. start menu tiles are locked.

start menu tiles are locked.: Hi All, i recently got a laptop from my organisation & the start tile menu is locked. i would like to add new tiles & remove the existing ones. is there a way to do so. i got new apps to replace the windows defaults such as VLC & Mathematica but when i try to add them to...
  10. I think I pressed AltGr plus an F Key and now my start menu is locked and looks like this -...

I think I pressed AltGr plus an F Key and now my start menu is locked and looks like this -...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/randomqueue [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k6np7s/i_think_i_pressed_altgr_plus_an_f_key_and_now_my/