Windows 10: PC not booting after attempted 1903 update

Discus and support PC not booting after attempted 1903 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, last night I attempted to install the 1903 update but it froze at the working on updates screen at 25% (spinning dots frozen as well) for hours, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ashphaltt1110, Nov 7, 2019.

1. PC not booting after attempted 1903 update

Hi, last night I attempted to install the 1903 update but it froze at the working on updates screen at 25% (spinning dots frozen as well) for hours, so I rebooted to try again, however the computer wouldn’t boot at all, it seemed as though there was no output to the monitor as it turns on as soon as I turn the pc on, the keyboard seemed to be turning off and on as well unplugging it and holding the power button and plugging back in seemed to fix it but then when the pc restarted for the update, the same thing happens, I managed to get 1903 installed somehow but it still keeps happening. My question is: Will a startup repair rectify this issue? And if not what would fix it? Thanks

submitted by /u/ashphaltt1110
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ashphaltt1110, Nov 7, 2019
  2. AlxPrc Win User

windows update 1903 crashed pc & now won't boot properly & shows no files exist

I have attempted to update to 1903 a few times in the past week, but it always just shut my computer off for hours without updating. This morning, I had the updates download and then it just sat "running" with a black screen after it restarted.

• Computer began a restart/shutdown loop. It kept doing this nonstop.
    • Contacted tech support. The only way the PC will boot is by holding down power for 15 or so secs and then powering on.
    • The startup screen/GIGABYTE menu with options for bios, system info, etc is the only thing that loads.
    • I can enter bios and system restore settings
      • system restore fails and does not recognize any media
      • go back to previous update does not work
      • load from PC image does not work
    • Attempted to restore PC via USB "windows 10 setup" as directed by tech support but does not work. It begins to load and then takes me back to the main screen and attempts to repair, but fails and then returns to GIGABYTE motherboard screen.

If possible, I would like to retain my files. I have a large external HDD for this. I had backups but these do not work. I don't know what steps to take next. It began its life as a windows 10 PC, no older OS. It has had ZERO issues up until 1903 came out.
    Not even problems with other programs.

What steps could I take next?

I have since flashed my bios and it did nothing to change this issue.

Can I save my files?

AlxPrc, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Windows update 1903 second boot issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties, you are facing while updating the PC to Windows 10 1903.
    We appreciate your effort in troubleshooting and providing us the detail information of the issue.

Seems you have done pretty much all the troubleshooting steps. However, we would like you to perform Hardware clean boot and then try to update to Windows 10 1903.

To perform a Hardware Clean Boot, press Windows + R to open the Run window. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open the Device Manager.

Once you have done this, you have to disable the drivers for the following devices by right clicking them and selecting the option to disable them.

1. Display Adapters.
    2. DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    3. Modems
    4. Ports
    5. Sound, video and game controllers.
    6. Network Adapters.

However, we have also noticed that you are using a RAID configuration on your PC and could be a probable inference in this issue. If the hardware clean boot doesn’t resolve the issue, then we would suggest
    you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows with RAID configuration PC to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Mark Ole Win User

PC not booting after attempted 1903 update

Computer won't boot after attempting Windows 10 Update

Hi,

To address your concern, we suggest that you download the
    Media creation tool
    to create an installation media.

Once you have an installation media, you can use it to restore the system from a system restore point. To do that, follow these steps:

• Connect the recovery drive and turn on your PC.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select an option. If you don’t see the Choose your option screen, your PC might
      not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer’s website for info on how to change your PC’s boot order.
    • Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced Options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems,
      but it won’t affect your personal files.

Let us know how it goes after performing the steps.

Mark Ole, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

PC not booting after attempted 1903 update

1. PC not booting after attempted 1903 update - Similar Threads - booting attempted 1903

2. PC only boots after second attempt

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC only boots after second attempt: So I’ve been having this problem for a couple of months where my pc only boots up after the second try. Whenever I restart it will show the bios logo then when it would normally show the windows login, it then displays a black screen. I'm unable to do anything at this point...
  3. PC only boots after second attempt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC only boots after second attempt: So I’ve been having this problem for a couple of months where my pc only boots up after the second try. Whenever I restart it will show the bios logo then when it would normally show the windows login, it then displays a black screen. I'm unable to do anything at this point...
  4. PC only boots after second attempt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc goes into automatic repair after clean boot attempt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc goes into automatic repair after clean boot attempt: Hello, Sometime ago I had an issue with a vr headset, steam support told me to see if the problem remains if I tried to start it after a clean boot. So following instructions I quickly clean booted my pc and tried the vr, which didn't fix its issue. So then I opened msconfig...
  6. After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After attempting to reset windows pc doesn't boot: Today I tried to wipe my hardrive through windows 10 and it did so, at first I did keep my files which got stuck at 88% for 3 hours, so I turned my pc off and went into recovery, then I decided to wipe my while disc I have a media creation usb which doesn't do anything as now...
  7. "No Gui Boot" not working after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "No Gui Boot" not working after 1903 update: I have a dual boot on my computer. I was using "No Gui Boot" to get the basic DOS type screen where I select which OS to boot. I updated the main Windows to 1903 and now the gui boot is always on. So when I boot, it goes all the way up to he gui boot screen, when I select the...
  8. Windows 10 Not booting after 1903 update

Windows 10 Not booting after 1903 update: Hi, My PC is NUC 54250wykh1. I updated to windows 10 1903 today. After restarting, keyboard and mouse didn't work. (even after changing USB ports) I shutdown PC by pressing physical power button. When I started PC again it wouldn't boot. It showed Intel NUC with circling...
  9. Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903

Slow boot and shutdown after updating to 1903: I've updated my windows from 1803 to 1903 yesterday and have noticed starting up my PC took significant longer. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds from completely off to the login screen but after the update the PC will show a black screen after the boot loading screen and stays...
  10. slow boot after 1903 update

slow boot after 1903 update: Hello, I have a laptop with SSD and HDD. SSD is used as a system disk and HDD is for storage. Recently I updated my Windows 10 Home 1703 version directly to 1903 version and the update installed some files on my HDD instead of SSD. The problem that occurs now is a slow boot...