Windows 10: PC not booting underscore appearing

Discus and support PC not booting underscore appearing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey there My motherboard model is Zeb g41 and it has ami bios in.My First question is how to convert it into uefi from legacy. And second question is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KaranSonkar, Aug 29, 2020.

1. PC not booting underscore appearing

Hey there

My motherboard model is Zeb g41 and it has ami bios in.My First question is how to convert it into uefi from legacy. And second question is I had changed my hard disk from mbr to gpt. After that pc isn't booting under score sign is appearing. Anyone can help me asap with solution

:)

KaranSonkar, Aug 29, 2020
  2. jollinski Win User

PC not booting. Only displaying underscore

Hi. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my Desktop PC.

The PC is not booting to windows. Instead it displays a solid underscore in the top left corner of the screen and does nothing. No opportunity to enter BIOS, even. Nothing except the underscore.

If I turn the PC off at the mains and leave it for 30 seconds or so the PC will then boot to Windows fine, so I wonder if there is something stored in non volatile memory somewhere that is causing a problem. I can't think what it might be though.

The problem started when I reinstalled Windows. The first time I had to cancel the installation and when the computer rebooted, the underscore appeared. I managed to get Windows installed by powering down at the mains and assumed that the problem would correct
    itself after formatting my C drive. But it hasn't. It currently happens after every time I restart the PC.

Does anybody have any suggestions to what the problem might be?

Thanks for reading

jollinski, Aug 29, 2020
  3. jollinski Win User

Hi.

Thank you for your response.

I have checked and I am currently using the UEFI setting. My motherboard is a ASUS Z97-P

I have also tried as you suggested and pressed F2 as soon as I press the on button on the PC. Trying this twice yielded no new results. The solid underscore appears.

I'm starting to wonder if it's in fact anything to do with windows, but I find it difficult to reject the timing. The first time it happened was during an installation of windows so I can't help but think that's causal.

If you have any further suggestions I would appreciate hearing them

Thanks

jollinski, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Marc Cai Win User

PC not booting underscore appearing

Thanks for the update, Jollinski. You must be right that this is related to the Windows installation. We'll try to figure it out.

Do you still have the media installation disk of Windows 10? Since we're unable to access any hot key during boot, we will be needing the installation disk. By the use of this, we will be able to repair the system boot or at least determine what is causing
    the issue. Refer to the steps below:

• If you no longer have the media installation ISO: On a working PC, go to the

Microsoft software download website
      . If you do have it, please proceed to step 6.
    • Download the Media creation tool and then run it.
    • Select Create installation media for another PC.
    • Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
    • Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
    • Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.
    • On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select
      Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt > Enter the following commands:
    • bootrec /fixMBR
    • bootrec /fixBoot
    • bootrec /rebuildBCD

Get back to us about any results.

Marc Cai, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

PC not booting underscore appearing

1. PC not booting underscore appearing - Similar Threads - booting underscore appearing

2. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Underscores and won't boot to windows: Hi, so I'm gonna start from the first problem i had to the current.So I'm having this pc Motherboard asus h81-m with uefiCpu core i3 4160 Gpu AMD Radeon 5870 HDRam 8gb 1600So i was upgrading my gpu driver but there was only two drivers i could only use.One amd catalyst...
  3. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Underscores and won't boot to windows: Hi, so I'm gonna start from the first problem i had to the current.So I'm having this pc Motherboard asus h81-m with uefiCpu core i3 4160 Gpu AMD Radeon 5870 HDRam 8gb 1600So i was upgrading my gpu driver but there was only two drivers i could only use.One amd catalyst...
  4. Underscores and won't boot to windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 Black Screen with solid underscore. Can't boot PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen with solid underscore. Can't boot PC.: Yesterday I noticed that anything on my F drive would not work. If I tried to go to deep into any folders I would eventually hit a "file not accessible. Device doesn't exist" error which meant I couldn't play any of my games on that drive.Command prompt told me there was a...
  6. Windows 10 Black Screen with solid underscore. Can't boot PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Black Screen with solid underscore. Can't boot PC.: Yesterday I noticed that anything on my F drive would not work. If I tried to go to deep into any folders I would eventually hit a "file not accessible. Device doesn't exist" error which meant I couldn't play any of my games on that drive.Command prompt told me there was a...
  7. Flashing underscore on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flashing underscore on boot: So I've recently had some problems on rootkits,bootkits,malware,etc. Some weird stuff was happening, so I took my laptop to micro center for a diagnostic. the results came back, and apparently the "hard drive failed". I bought a new nvme m.2 1 tb ssd and replaced the old...
  8. Underscores.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Underscores.: Hi. I'm having a little trouble typing underscores. I'm currently on desktop and do not know why it wont let me type an underscore. I can type everything but an underscore, plus sign, and whatever the symbols are when you press shift represent for these. [] During typing...
  9. Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  10. Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. there is underscore when pc boot up

2. underscore sign cant turn on pc