Windows 10: Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows

Discus and support Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a problem with my cpu, gpu, and cooling fans all not turning off, because of my windows not shutting down/restarting correctly. Just as as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by LovelyPup424209, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows

I have a problem with my cpu, gpu, and cooling fans all not turning off, because of my windows not shutting down/restarting correctly.

Just as as a note, correct me if I'm wrong but I personally believe this is a motherboard/bios issue.

My motherboard is an AM4 B550 GAMING PLUS, holding an amd ryzen 5600x stock fan After checking the bios I couldn't find anything to do with fan controls for anything, and I also noticed I am not on the latest bios version.

I have also read a fair amount of posts that have also mentioned windows stability issues. Which makes me deters me to update my bios to the latest version, as I am only two versions below it.

So here's how the problems start:

I am finished using my pc, I close everything that was open and click the shut down option, through windows in the bottom left. The blue shut down screen comes up as normal, and begins the circle timer as it is shutting down, seconds later my screen goes black as normal, but my 3 front rgb fans, rear fan, gpu and cpu fans remain spinning, and my power button remains lit.

After leaving my pc for about 5+ minutes to see if it will turn off, my fans/pc were not going to turn off. So after waiting, I attempt to press the power button once and nothing happens. Therefore I'm forced every-time to hold the power button down for about 5 seconds until it shuts off all the fans and everything completely.

In the instance where I restart my pc through the option in the bottom left of windows, my pc will show the blue restarting window as normal for a few seconds, then phase to a black screen, only to remain on the black screen and not restart at all and just be stuck on the black screen. All fans remained on again with no change. Pressing the power button once does nothing, again forcing me to hold down the power button for 5 seconds, as well as not being able to restart through windows.

Finally in the last instance, my pc was left afk for the amount of minutes I have set, to bring it into hibernation/sleep mode, after entering this mode it would turn off the monitor screen as normal, however moving my mouse or pressing keys on my keyboard wouldn't wake my screen up, leaving me stuck on a black screen, forcing me to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to re boot my pc again.

If anybody has any advice they could give or any information, it would be appreciated, as I'm stuck right now and open to all opinions/options.

:)

LovelyPup424209, Jan 4, 2021
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows :confused:*Mad Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Automated Restart of Windows 10 PC

Hello,

If Windows suddenly restarts without warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, it might be caused by one of several issues. An outdated driver and software conflict are some of the possible reasons. Having said that, we suggest performing
    the following steps:

Step 1: Disabling the automatic restart option to view error messages.

Many hardware driver or operating system errors will cause the computer to display a specific error message before stopping the operation or shutting down the computer. However, if the Automatically restart option
    is enabled, an error message might not be displayed despite an error taking place. Disable this option to allow the computer to display the error message.
    Follow these steps to disable the Automatically restart option:

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.

• Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
    • Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart under System Failure, then click OK.
    • Restart the computer.

Step 2: Checking for failed hardware.

Hardware problems can cause the computer to restart unexpectedly.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows

My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows

1. Pc not shutting down or restarting through Windows - Similar Threads - shutting down restarting

2. PC keeps on restarting and shutting down!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps on restarting and shutting down!: Dear PC Experts,This is really odd. Today when I turned on the M710e PC, the computer kept on restarting and shutting down. You can see in the below recording,https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUj5Tz7-dZAjvkQ7YVHu-Coo34K82gVB/view?usp=sharingIn the recording you can see the...
  3. PC keeps on restarting and shutting down!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps on restarting and shutting down!: Dear PC Experts,This is really odd. Today when I turned on the M710e PC, the computer kept on restarting and shutting down. You can see in the below recording,https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUj5Tz7-dZAjvkQ7YVHu-Coo34K82gVB/view?usp=sharingIn the recording you can see the...
  4. PC not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not shutting down but restart: Shutdown button not working. When you click it, the function will be restart. The PC will only restart. Restart button has correct function though. I need help. I dont know this kind of scenario in PC....
  5. PC not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not shutting down but restart: Shutdown button not working. When you click it, the function will be restart. The PC will only restart. Restart button has correct function though. I need help. I dont know this kind of scenario in PC....
  6. PC not shutting down but restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. PC will not shut down, just restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not shut down, just restarts: Hello!I have recently upgraded my pc to an SSD drive.Since then it will not shut down, I click the shutdown button and get the shutdown screen.Then the PC switches off and immediately restarts.I have tried the usual culprits, such as disabling all start-up items that are not...
  8. PC will not shut down, just restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC will not shut down, just restarts: Hello!I have recently upgraded my pc to an SSD drive.Since then it will not shut down, I click the shutdown button and get the shutdown screen.Then the PC switches off and immediately restarts.I have tried the usual culprits, such as disabling all start-up items that are not...
  9. Pc will not restart or shut down correctly

Pc will not restart or shut down correctly: Hello, I have recently upgraded my cpu so needed a new motherboard and ram too.I have Intel i7 10700k and an MSI Z490-a pro motherboard and 16gb DDR4 3200mhz ram.I have updated bios and latest windows update installed.Whenever I try restarting or shutting down my pc it...
  10. PC won't shut down or restart.

PC won't shut down or restart.: Hi all, this is fairly simple to explain, so I'm gonna have 2 categories. 1: The Shutdown Basically, whenever I press on shutdown, or shutdown from my PC button, my Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard lose power, however my PC is still on. 2: The Restart This one is the easiest to...