Windows 10: PC not shutting down since update

Discus and support PC not shutting down since update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My windows 10 PC has been running perfectly fine for the last 4 years. Two weeks ago it did a small update and now my PC refuses to shutdown, it just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/2017Momo, Oct 29, 2019.

1. PC not shutting down since update

My windows 10 PC has been running perfectly fine for the last 4 years. Two weeks ago it did a small update and now my PC refuses to shutdown, it just enters sleep mode.

I have run sfc and DISM. I have turned off fast start up and and set the sleep option in power settings to never. I have even even unchecked the sleep and hibernate options so they no longer appear in the menu. Still the PC only goes to sleep when shut down is selected and will wake whenever I press a key on the keyboard or plug/unplug a device from my external hdd usb hub. They did not do this before the update, and after checking the device manager I can confirm the "allow this device to wake computer" is unchecked.

As I only use my PC for a few hours a day I do not wish to leave it in sleep mode and have had to resort to switching it off via the mains. This does not seem to be doing it any good as the PC will only remain stable for a day or two before it starts randomly locking up. Running sfc and dism seems to fix it again even though sfc does not report any issues.

Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/2017Momo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/2017Momo, Oct 29, 2019

2. Laptop won't shut down

Hi Muhammad,

Most of the time, the issue regarding a device that won't shut down properly may be caused by a system conflict after an update or that there are some incompatibility issues. To assist you with this concern, we recommend that you run the troubleshooter.
    To do this, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Click on View all on the left-side of the page.
    • Click on each category below then follow the on-screen prompt to run the troubleshooter:
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    • Hardware and Devices
    • Power
    • Windows Update
    Note: Make sure that you restart your PC after running the troubleshooter for each category.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Oct 29, 2019
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Oct 29, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

PC not shutting down since update

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond PC not shutting down since update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

PC not shutting down since update

1. PC not shutting down since update - Similar Threads - shutting down since

2. pc updating instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc updating instead of shutting down: so sometimes when i have a windows update i dont want to do it at that time so i just turn off my pc,but the it still updates my pc without asking and i know when i turn it off there is an option for turning off without updating and i pressed it,but still it updated how do i...
  3. pc updating instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc updating instead of shutting down: so sometimes when i have a windows update i dont want to do it at that time so i just turn off my pc,but the it still updates my pc without asking and i know when i turn it off there is an option for turning off without updating and i pressed it,but still it updated how do i...
  4. pc updating instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My PC sometimes shut down since the last 2 Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC sometimes shut down since the last 2 Windows Update: My PC sometimes shut down since the last 2 Windows Update. Can you help me to fix the issue? That happened after the last 2 Update from Windows 10. Sometimes, when I browsing with Google Chrome, and sometimes when I render my short video. I didn't see if there is an...
  6. PC shutting down during update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC shutting down during update: Hi i've been trying to update my win from 10240 to 2004 with both the media tool iso & update assistant but both times the PC shut down at 48% and then undoing changes. here is the log if it can help 2020-08-16 16:08:57, Error MOUPG...
  7. PC is shutting down

PC is shutting down: My pc is shutting down many times a day and I go to reliability monitor and it says "hardware error" my problem event name is LiveKernalEvent and the code is 141, The locale ID is 1033. every time i open a video game it takes about 2 minutes then it shuts down, please help....
  8. PC shutting down at random since KB4541335.

PC shutting down at random since KB4541335.: Hello. I have a big problem with my PC. Since I installed KB4541335 I am getting unexpected shutdowns. My system is: Athlon X4 845 8GB RAM Biostar Motherboard Various AMD GPU's RX560, RX580 and R7 260X - I've been on a buying binge at the moment. 2 x SSD's and one...
  9. Pc will not shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pc will not shut down: Hello! I have virtually a new pc, it's running Windows 10. The problem is I cannot shut it down. I click start, then the power button , then shut down. The message on the screen says shutting down, then it restarts. Must be setting somewhere. Cheers,...
  10. PC is not shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is not shutting down: i have windows 10 and hp elitbook 8460p laptop but when i am clicking on shutdown or hibernate the screen goes black and black forever. until my laptop battery come empty, i also changed windows but now in this windows first some times it shut down, but now it is also not...