Windows 10: PC on Domain prompted to Join workplace

Discus and support PC on Domain prompted to Join workplace in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All, All PC's in my organization are connected to a Domain. Last week, one of my user was prompted with the following screen " Windows saves your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Harish10, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Harish10 Win User

PC on Domain prompted to Join workplace

Hi All,

All PC's in my organization are connected to a Domain. Last week, one of my user was prompted with the following screen

" Windows saves your account and makes it easier to sign up for apps and websites. So you do not have to enter your password every time you access the resources of your organization. You may need to allow your organization to manage certain settings on your device ".

This is a company provided PC.This user does not have any Admin rights on the pc and is logged in as a standard user.

There were no Office / standard Software updates that were installed on the PC as well.

I am trying to see when a user will be presented with the above mentioned pop up and to see cause any changes to the way pc is being connected.

:)

Harish10, Oct 9, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain  

That would explain it.

Active Directory is the way, the tool local domains use for user control and management. There are three different methods a user / device can join AD: joining local domain and signing in with domain credentials, joining through Azure AD and signing in with Azure AD credentials, and the "lowest level" so called workplace join, connect a local or Microsoft sign-in account to an Azure AD (workplace) account.

Joining a local domain and Azure AD basically is the same. Of course there are administrative differences from IT departement's point of view, but for the most the only difference end user sees is the sign-in credentials.

Once you have joined a local domain, you cannot join Azure AD, and vice versa. It's one or the other.

Joining Azure AD instead of joining a domain is in my opinion the future, Microsoft's clear goal being to get corporate users to move from local domains and on-premises domain controllers to Azure AD. I posted an opinion piece about that just a few days ago on my site: Secure Windows on a Secure Device Win10.Guru

Azure AD gives you two levels to join: Workplace join simply adds your Azure AD account to Windows 10 for single-sign-on to all your workplace services, but you will continue signing in to Windows with your current local or Microsoft account:

PC on Domain prompted to Join workplace [​IMG]

This will be shown as a connected account:

As you will continue signing in with your local or Microsoft account, you are still pretty much in control. You can use workplace services, company store and such but IT admin cannot set up any restrictions on your device. A workplace joined user / device can still join a local domain.

If you select Join Azure AD instead, your sign-in account will be changed to Azure AD account. This is shown as Azure AD joined:

Once joined to Azure AD, joining a local domain is no longer possible.

I'm not sure if the above explains this clear enough. The point is, a local domain and Azure AD effectively chooses the way you are joined to your workplace. Only one of these methods to join can be used.

Kari, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Brink Win User

@rseiler,

I just finished clean installing Windows 10 Enterprise build 17093 in a VM using a local account, and it still has the same steps in the tutorial for me.

Is your PC already joined to a domain?

Brink, Oct 9, 2019
  4. rseiler Win User

I just checked an RS3 PC already domain-joined (the RS3 I was checking earlier was not yet joined to anything), and there are no blue links for it either, strongly suggesting that MS lets you only do one or the other.

What I should try is doing an Azure AD join (any method) and then doing a domain join via the old UI. That may be a loophole.

rseiler, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

1. PC on Domain prompted to Join workplace - Similar Threads - Domain prompted Join

2. Prompted to setup Face Recognition on Domain joined device - How?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prompted to setup Face Recognition on Domain joined device - How?: A while a go I tried to get Face Recognition working on my Domain Joined device. I found a guide that I followed that directed me to group policy settings to enable Face recognition. This never worked so I just forgot about it, but the GP remained in place as I thought I]'d...
  3. Joining the pc to domain issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Joining the pc to domain issues: Hi In our company ,when we join the pc to domain then user login with is credentials getting error that search & windows option is not getting and after restart the pc getting error black screen.please let me know solution for this....
  4. Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  5. Workplace joined bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Workplace joined bitlocker: Please see the attached file of my workplace joined device with bitlocker keys. Should I disable the device first, and then attempt to reinstall Windows using the BitLocker keys?[ATTACH]...
  6. Workplace Join -> Automatic Device-Join task

Workplace Join -> Automatic Device-Join task: Hello, I'm wondering how Workplace Join -> Automatic Device-Join task works. We had it manually enabled on couple of systems and a week later realized that it is back to disabled. Is this a normal behavior? Regards, Tatyana...
  7. Non Domain Joined PC Not Updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non Domain Joined PC Not Updating: Unable to get non-domain computers to connect to and update using internal WSUS server. Domain computers are working fine, but when the non-domain computers try to update after changing local gpo to point to WSUS server, it says "We couldn't connect to the update service....
  8. Cannot change from Workplace/Domain computer to PC

Cannot change from Workplace/Domain computer to PC: I have a windows 10 Pro PC but when I go to This PC > Properties > Change settings > Network ID > then click on the "This is a home PC" Radio Button it prompts me to restart but after restarting nothing happens I need a fix to this for group policy...
  9. Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?: Can the same PC have one account set up that's domain-joined (to work), and another personal account that's NOT domain-joined? I'm guessing the answer is more likely no, since domain seems to be a machine-level and not an account-level setting. What I'd like to be able to...
  10. Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain: How to: Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain How to Join a Windows 10 PC to a Local Active Directory Domain A network based on a Domain provides centralized administration of the entire network from a single computer which is called a server. A Domain provides single user...