Windows 10: PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

Discus and support PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've confirmed that my computer performance has degraded noticeably today, to be more specific losing about 30-40 fps in video games and I have no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pezhmank, Sep 30, 2018.

1. pezhmank Win User

PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

I've confirmed that my computer performance has degraded noticeably today, to be more specific losing about 30-40 fps in video games and I have no idea whats causing it. I haven't made any major changes that I can recall, and dont know how to exactly pin point what the issue may be.
    Before you ask, I consider myself semi professional in keeping a healthy maintenance of PC. I have looked and there is no malware and virus in PC with DR.web, avast, malware byte
    Furthermore, I have fully wiped my nvidia drivers and re-installed them. removed every unnecessary start up and start up services and none have made any changes to get back to the performance I was getting before.
    I have also noticed my performance takes a bigger hit on games more dependent on CPU power.

To not make this any longer, I would love to hear what else I can look at and diagnose to find out whats exactly causing the down grade?

:)

pezhmank, Sep 30, 2018
  2. Oh SoS Win User

PCI audio card causes dramatic performance degrade

yeah, I've done that; I've disabled it in the BIOS, disabled in in Windows, and even tried leaving them both active (which causes even further degradation).

It's got to be a problem w/ the motherboard, but I can't find any others who've reported this problem, and it's strange that it's not just a DOA, but just a degradation.
    I can play DVDs and music w/ no problem at all...I suppose there's enough computer resources to compensate for the degradation, but when I play a game, it's too severe to overlook.

thanks for the welcome/response.

this is me: *Bang Head :banghead:

Oh SoS, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Oh SoS Win User
    PCI audio card causes dramatic performance degrade

I've got an Abit K7N SLI, with the latest BIOS/chipset drivers/video driver/audio drivers.

It seems no matter which card I install, my performance is impacted greatly vs the AC 97 onboard audio.

I started with an X-fi Fatal1ty Platinum, then realized I wanted DDL functionality, so got a Turtle Beach Montego (avoid this card), and now have a HT Omega Striker.

With all of the cards, my FPS is dramatically reduced; in Guild Wars, I was going from ~180 fps in quiet towns down to about ~30; and in busy towns from 50 FPS down to about 6.
    And load times in all apps is noticeably longer.
    It's intolerable.

There are no IRQ conflicts, and neither PCI slot makes a difference. When I try to manually set the IRQs in the BIOS, it only allows me to 'reserve' a combination of 5, 10, and 11, and if all reserve all 3, then the card isn't even recognized.

I'm still waiting for someone to give the "magic bullet" that will resolve this problem. HT Omega tech support was convinced it was an IRQ conflict, and I've just recently got in contact w/ Abit, so will see what they have to say.

Any suggestions?

Oh SoS, Sep 30, 2018
  4. PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

What are actual leading causes of PC sluggishness in 2017? (Facts, not myths, please!)

Hi Justin,

I feel that you provided a list of general categories of reasons why, perhaps historically, computers have experienced degraded performance. I'm seeking a prioritized list of what is specifically responsible for degraded performance on a PC in 2017 - likely
    this is a Win10 machine. For example:

"When people bring us a computer with a performance problem, and we diagnose it:

1) 50% of the time the root cause is (e.g. installation of <specific application>)

2) 20% of the time the root cause is <specific reason>.

3) etc."

It would be helpful if each reason included diagnostic steps to help readers confirm whether the reason applies to their own PC/situation.

Also...

"In our experience, the following commonly cited problems are, in fact, rarely the root cause of performance problems:

1) Corrupted registry.

2) Fragmented hard drive (in Win 10 drives are automatically defragmented).

3) Viruses

4) etc."

I hope this helps to clarify the need...

Thanks!

sudokuchamp, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

1. PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it? - Similar Threads - performance dramatically degraded

2. What are the network layer issues that degrade the performance of the network not...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are the network layer issues that degrade the performance of the network not...: I want to identify what are the issues that can occur in the network layer that degrades the speed of the transmission of the network and the way to identify them....
  3. BSOD, no idea whats causing it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, no idea whats causing it.: minidump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OQCb6QMNRxe3uyKcSUei2yhCvyHdN8wb/view?usp=sharing pc randomly gives bsod error, I've run windows memory diagnostics and everything was clear, no error came up, I've tried updating audio, network, GPU, etc drivers but nothing...
  4. Dramatically slow performance

Dramatically slow performance: My Windows 10 laptop has been dramatically slow for the last 8-10 days. It has 4GB DDR4 RAM & HDD 1TB harddrive. Nowadays most of the time the RAM and Harddrive look 100% full. [ATTACH] What should I do?...
  5. BSOD , no idea what is causing it

BSOD , no idea what is causing it: Computer crash today and no idea what caused it. Can you help me please, below are the dumps https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiy8lx3nt7grhyu/AACHg6CuPo2_I-Udc6zXXY7ta?dl=0 Thank you so so much!...
  6. Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Causes Extreme Degradation of Performance on WiFi: I have a machine that is in a temporary location. The location makes it necessary to also temporarily connect using WiFi. As a result, I have a USB based WiFi 5 adapter connected to this machine. I'm moving large amounts of data to the machine but I'm getting an amazingly...
  7. Any idea what's causing this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any idea what's causing this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Spectre696 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/heqf6o/any_idea_whats_causing_this/
  8. Degraded PC Performance - Windows 10

Degraded PC Performance - Windows 10: My Dell desktop PC w/ Windows 10 has runs slower and slower, until I have to reboot. The reboot is required at least once per day. This never used to be the case. It began happening about a month ago. I checked the memory w/ the Windows memory analyzer, which showed...
  9. Startup performance degradation...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup performance degradation...: There's an app on my system that causes startup performance degradation: [img] The file name in the event viewer is "Devic" and in details tab, the folder name displayed as "C:\Devic". This performance degradation does not happen every day and presumably, during the other...
  10. PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?

in Windows 10 Support
    PC performance dramatically degraded and no idea whats causing it?: I've confirmed that my computer performance has degraded noticeably today, to be more specific losing about 30-40 fps in video games and I have no idea whats causing it. I haven't made any major changes that I can recall, and dont know how to exactly pin point what the issue...