Windows 10: PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State

Discus and support PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My PC has this issue where it powers up from an apparent S5 or G3 shutdown state precisely at midnight. It does not happen every night, but more often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HopWorksEmbeddedImaginati, Jun 21, 2019.

1. PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State

My PC has this issue where it powers up from an apparent S5 or G3 shutdown state precisely at midnight. It does not happen every night, but more often than not. When it powers up this way, the power profile also apparently has no effect. I have it set to sleep after 1 hour of no activity, and it will sleep just fine when manually powered up. But when it powers up on its own, it stays on until I discover it around 4 in the morning.

I have never experienced this before with Windows 10 on other machines.

I fully understand the automatic update process and the reasons for it, and would understand waking up from SLEEP, but not actually powering on after a shutdown. And yes, FASTBOOT is disabled.

Also, there is NO OPTION to disable scheduled maintenance. Only the option to defer updates.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!! Thanks!

Here is a list of things that I have researched and checked or fixed along with my scheduled tasks.

solution

success

status

end result

disable wake on usb fail set disabled power management option
    disable wake on network adapter fail not set did nothing
    disable fast boot fail not set did nothing
    power options disable wake timers fail not set did nothing
    wake on lan, magic packet fail not set did nothing
    Prevent Scheduled Windows Update & Automatic maintenance fail no option no option to disable scheduled maintenance
    Powershell Taskscheduler option ?? large list working…

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings}

TaskPath TaskName State

-------- -------- -----

\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\ .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\ .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64 Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\ .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319... Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\ .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319... Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\AppID\ SmartScreenSpecific Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ ProgramDataUpdater Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ StartupAppTask Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\ appuriverifierdaily Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\ CleanupTemporaryState Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\ DsSvcCleanup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\AppxDeploymentClient\ Pre-staged app cleanup Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\BrokerInfrastructure\ BgTaskRegistrationMaintenanceTask Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Chkdsk\ ProactiveScan Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Impr... UsbCeip Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ ScheduledDefrag Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Device Setup\ Metadata Refresh Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\ Scheduled Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\DiskCleanup\ SilentCleanup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\ Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnost... Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\ Diagnostics Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\ StorageSense Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\ErrorDetails\ ErrorDetailsUpdate Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\ DmClient Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\ File History (maintenance mode) Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\HelloFace\ FODCleanupTask Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\InstallService\ ScanForUpdatesAsUser Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\LanguageComponentsInstal... Uninstallation Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\License Manager\ TempSignedLicenseExchange Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\ WinSAT Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\MemoryDiagnostic\ RunFullMemoryDiagnostic Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\MUI\ LPRemove Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\PI\ Sqm-Tasks Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\ Plug and Play Cleanup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnos... AnalyzeSystem Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\RecoveryEnvironment\ VerifyWinRE Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Registry\ RegIdleBackup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\ StartComponentCleanup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\ BackgroundUploadTask Queued

\Microsoft\Windows\SharedPC\ Account Cleanup Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\ IndexerAutomaticMaintenance Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\ HybridDriveCachePrepopulate Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\ HybridDriveCacheRebalance Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\ ResPriStaticDbSync Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Sysmain\ WsSwapAssessmentTask Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\ SR Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Time Synchronization\ SynchronizeTime Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Time Zone\ SynchronizeTimeZone Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\ Maintenance Install Disabled

\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\ Windows Defender Cache Mainten... Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\ Windows Defender Cleanup Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\ Windows Defender Scheduled Scan Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\ Windows Defender Verification Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\WOF\ WIM-Hash-Validation Ready

\Microsoft\Windows\Work Folders\ Work Folders Maintenance Work Ready

:)

HopWorksEmbeddedImaginati, Jun 21, 2019

2. Windows 10 wake on LAN not working from shutdown state

Hi,

The "Wake on LAN" (WOL) feature wakes a computer from a low-power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event. Typically, such an event is a specially constructed Ethernet packet. The default behavior in response to WOL events has changed from Windows
    7 to Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Windows 7

In Windows 7, the default shutdown operation puts the system into the classic shutdown state (S5), and all devices are put into the lowest power state (D3). WOL from S5 is not officially supported in Windows 7. However, some network adapters can be left armed
    for waking if enough residual power is available. Therefore, waking from S5 is possible on some systems if enough residual power is supplied to the network adapter even though the system is in the S5 state and devices are in D3.

Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, the default shutdown behavior puts the system into the hybrid shutdown state (S4), and all devices are put into D3. WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases
    because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states
    in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

In Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but lets the contents of kernel sessions be written to the hard disk. This enables faster startups.

To disable the S4 state in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10, follow these steps.

Note We do not recommend that you disable the hybrid shutdown (S4) state.

1- In Control Panel, open the Power Options item.

2- Click the Choose what the power buttons do link.

3- Clear the Turn on fast startup (recommended) check box.

4- Click Save Settings.

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the laptop will not shutdown completely. We will help you.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Remove all the externally connected devices and cables including the battery.
    • Hold the power button for about a minute and release the power button.
    • Connect only the power cable and power on the PC.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 21, 2019
  4. PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State

Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Sachin.V thank you for reply the post i hope no problem again . i try 2 times shutdown seen like problem solve thank you

cosmochong, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State

1. PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State - Similar Threads - Powers Apparent Shutdown

2. Strange behavior of my laptop apparently related to low power states

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behavior of my laptop apparently related to low power states: My laptop has been exhibiting a very annoying behavior ever since I acquired it: whenever I leave it exporting photos, videos, or running some process, as soon as the screen turns off, its performance drops drastically to the point that sometimes I come back and the tasks are...
  3. Repeated Driver Power State Failure on shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repeated Driver Power State Failure on shutdown: I have had this issue for a few weeks now. My PC will start stuttering, I can fix it temporarily by rebooting, however it hits the BSOD when I try to shut down. As it only bluescreens on shutdown when it is stuttering, I assume they are linked in some way, but that's for...
  4. POWER DRIVER STATE FAILURE BSOD on Shutdown

POWER DRIVER STATE FAILURE BSOD on Shutdown: Greetings, This is my first time requesting support on here so I'll try my best to get it right. Here is a rundown of my current rig that has remained completely unchanged since around early-mid 2019. OS - Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2, Build 19042.746 CPU - AMD Ryzen...
  5. Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart: my pc crashes every time i try to shut it down. It shows BSoD and says driver power state failure. I have no idea what is causing this issue and have tried all the power management solutions that i found on the internet. So pls help me solve this issue....
  6. Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart: my pc crashes every time i try to shut it down. It shows BSoD and says driver power state failure. I have no idea what is causing this issue and have tried all the power management solutions that i found on the internet. So pls help me solve this issue....
  7. Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?: I'm having problems with power options in my Windows 10 PC with ASUS 170-K mbo. The PC is shut down programmatically at midnight (by calling the shutdown process), it is started automatically from the BIOS RTC at 6.00 in the morning, and during the day it is woken from sleep...
  8. Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lenovo thinkbook wake on lan from shutdown mode S5: I have read lots of post about WOL. I know, by default, in win 10, WOL only works when the laptop in sleep S3 and hibernate S4 mode. I have tested. It works to me. My question is: Is it possible to let me wake on my laptop when it is in shutdown S5 mode? like change...
  9. Driver Power State Failure On Shutdown

Driver Power State Failure On Shutdown: Ok. So long story short. I was playing some games and noticed windows 10 had some new updates so I installed them. Suddenly none of my USB devices like mouse and keyboard are detected and when Inshut down AfterI get a BSOD with the error " Driver Power State Failure"....
  10. Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep

Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep: Hello Windows Ten support, Ever since I upgraded from Windows 10 Pro v1809 to v1903 I receive a BSOD Driver Power State Failure when I restart, shutdown or sleep. My computer attempts to shutdown and after about 5-10 minutes I receive the BSOD. This problem did not happen in...