Windows 10: PC Randomly Freezes When Running More Than One Application

Discus and support PC Randomly Freezes When Running More Than One Application in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Microsoft Community. I would like help with a computer problem. My issue is that for the past month, my the entire computer freezes for around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MatthewAL, Nov 29, 2020.

1. MatthewAL Win User

PC Randomly Freezes When Running More Than One Application

Hello, Microsoft Community. I would like help with a computer problem.

My issue is that for the past month, my the entire computer freezes for around two minutes: no mouse, keyboard, just the blue screen of death over my current applications. This happens when running two or more applications, which my PC should normally be able to handle. This happens especially when loading games. Ever since I built this PC, its normal PC behavior has been for applications to stutter, go unresponsive, freeze or even crash for a third of the time. However, this new behavior is very disruptive and concerning.

I believe my hard drive may have something to do with this. On October 26 of this year, I received an error message: "Maintenance: Restart to repair drive errors" via Windows Defender > Device Performance and Health. I even noticed many functions not working, such as the entire Windows Updates page. When I did restart the PC, it would be stuck on "Scanning and repairing drive." I was eventually able to log on again by clicking around the screen a bunch. After this, I tried many things, including running CHKDSK from the command prompt as an administrator. Finally, after a Reset, the message has disappeared and everything seemed back to normal! However, the application issues began to show themselves.

I have tried scanning my hard drive, memory and using CHKDSK and other commands, but have found no errors. Unfortunately, I cannot find the source of the problem. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the matter!

Here is my PC build:

• Motherboard: Z390
    • Graphics Card: RTX 2080
    • Power Supply: EVGA 1000 Watt
    • RAM: 16G Triton
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
    • Cooler: Master Hyper 212 Evo

Thank you so much for reading! Have a great day!

:)

MatthewAL, Nov 29, 2020

2. Windows 10 freezes randomly

Hi,

To better assist you regarding Windows 10 which freezes randomly, please provide the following:

• Which is the last Windows update build you've applied to the computer?
    • Are there any third party applications that are currently installed?
    Furthermore, we suggest that you do a BIOS update to your computer. Here are the steps:

• Check the motherboard manufacturer's website to find the specific model of your motherboard.
    • Go to the computer manufacturer's website.
    • Look for the computer model that you're using.
    • You should find any available BIOS update.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Nov 29, 2020
  4. SwatRider Win User

Windows 10 freezes randomly

Hello,

I have the latest windows updates, drivers, and BIOS.

The issue was caused by the Radeon drivers - i explained in my previous post.

To solve the issue I run a program called ClockBlocker that prevents the graphics card from downclocking and freezing the computer.

Thank you all for all the help.

SwatRider, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. PC Randomly Freezes When Running More Than One Application - Similar Threads - Randomly Freezes Running

2. Pc Freezing when I play for more than an hour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc Freezing when I play for more than an hour: I just built a new pc and lately its been freezing when i play any game for awhile, Its not just big games but sometimes smaller ones too. I had no issues at the start, like for example i played Jedi Fallen order and finished it without having any problems then it started...
  3. Pc Freezing when I play for more than an hour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc Freezing when I play for more than an hour: I just built a new pc and lately its been freezing when i play any game for awhile, Its not just big games but sometimes smaller ones too. I had no issues at the start, like for example i played Jedi Fallen order and finished it without having any problems then it started...
  4. more than one MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    more than one MBR: My OS disk boots from start on in XP. Still need that OS as my UMAX 2200 scanner is only fully supported by XP drivers. Later on bought W7 ultimate and installed it as multiboot. EasyBCD does the trick. No problem. Runs both. Had to upgrade to W10. As W10 tells me how to run...
  5. More than one program maximizing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    More than one program maximizing.: Im new to Windows 10. Lets say I have 2 programs open. Im at the desktop, Why is it when I choose one of them from the task bar, the other one also maximizes behind it? Instead of the program I chose popping up with the desktop in the background, the program I chose pops up...
  6. One license for more than one versions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One license for more than one versions.: I got a laptop with pre installedWin 10 pro Education. It is about two weeks ago I went to perform factory restore for my DELL laptop So when I run the OS recovery tool of DELL It gave me an option to download Windows 10 Professional . As my Factory restore image I got...
  7. Application will no longer run on one PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Application will no longer run on one PC: Strange problem. I have had Autoplay Media Studio 8.5 installed on this PC for a long time and now all of a sudden it won't work. Something appears to be blocking it from running or intercepting it and shutting it down. AMS 8.5 is a program for creating other programs which...
  8. Uploading more than one document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uploading more than one document: How do I upload more than one document when the file is open. I am only allowed to open one at a time, If I go to the document without trying to upload I am allowed to....
  9. Is there supposed to be more than one CompatTelRunner.exe running on my windows10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is there supposed to be more than one CompatTelRunner.exe running on my windows10: Windows10 - Looking in services I can see that there are two CompatTelRunner.exe running on my laptop. Why is this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-supposed-to-be-more-than-one/bd99ba98-8f38-42f1-a8b5-3c03d2e9c05b
  10. More than one windows, the other keeps popping up randomly.

in Windows 10 Support
    More than one windows, the other keeps popping up randomly.: When I have multiple windows up (in this situation I have 2), and I'm focused on one at a time, the other window is minimized, no matter the application (whether it's a calculator or a browser), it'll pop up every so often. I haven't really seen a distinct time pattern...