Windows 10: pc randomly waking from sleep

Discus and support pc randomly waking from sleep in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This HP desktop pc is continually waking when not in use and poser is set to 'sleep'.I do not understand the power setting options: "What do you want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by klaro 1590, Aug 2, 2022.

1. pc randomly waking from sleep

This HP desktop pc is continually waking when not in use and poser is set to 'sleep'.I do not understand the power setting options: "What do you want the pc to do when you press sleep?""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" shut down"?Isn't it natural that I want the pc to do just that, sleep or shut down at once?What is the point of a 'sleep' option if not to put the pc in sleep mode until reopened by user?Are there settings I am not using properly? It is set to automatically sleep or shut down after 1 hour, when NOT IN USE.

:)

klaro 1590, Aug 2, 2022

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Aug 2, 2022
  3. wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 2, 2022
  4. pc randomly waking from sleep

Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Aug 2, 2022
Thema:

pc randomly waking from sleep

1. pc randomly waking from sleep - Similar Threads - randomly waking sleep

2. Windows randomly wakes itself from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows randomly wakes itself from sleep: Recently my desktop has been waking itself from sleep from time to time, and yesterday night it started, rgb fans and all, right in front of my face at 1am. I have tried many things to fix it, including disabling wake timers in advanced power settings, disabling wake for...
  3. pc randomly waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pc randomly waking from sleep: This HP desktop pc is continually waking when not in use and poser is set to 'sleep'.I do not understand the power setting options: "What do you want the pc to do when you press sleep?""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" shut down"?Isn't it natural that I...
  4. pc randomly waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc randomly waking from sleep: This HP desktop pc is continually waking when not in use and poser is set to 'sleep'.I do not understand the power setting options: "What do you want the pc to do when you press sleep?""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" shut down"?Isn't it natural that I...
  5. Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake on LAN WoL Randomly Waking PC During Sleep: Hello, I was wondering if someone here could help me out with a network-related problem, please? I am trying to use WoL to access my computer when I am away from my desktop, but my desktop cannot stay asleep because it keeps randomly being woken up by my network card, an...
  6. Pc waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc waking from sleep: So, I have this problem where my pc immediately wakes itself up from sleep. I have done everything like powercfg, power management to disable wake up but nothing works. Powercfg lastwake shows type: fixed feature and source: power button. But, I'm sure it's not happening...
  7. Laptop randomly wakes from sleep - DELL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop randomly wakes from sleep - DELL: I've had this Dell Inspiron i5577 for quite a while, and now, it's been waking up randomly at night. This morning I woke up to my computer on, well, sort of. It was on, the fans were loud, but the screen wasn't on. My RGB external keyboard was on too, but my mouse wasn't. I'm...
  8. Laptop wakes from sleep, randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop wakes from sleep, randomly: I've had this Dell Inspiron i5577 for quite a while, and now, it's been waking up randomly at night. This morning I woke up to my computer on, well, sort of. It was on, the fans were loud, but the screen wasn't on. My RGB external keyboard was on too, but my mouse wasn't. I'm...
  9. PC wakes from sleep/hibernate randomly SOLUTION

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes from sleep/hibernate randomly SOLUTION: I wanted to contribute and hope this helps someone. I had a problem for about a week, after upgrading to windows 10, where my pc would wake randomly. I went through control panel and power and adjusted all of those settings, made to uncheck the box that allows the pc to...
  10. Windows randomly freezes on waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows randomly freezes on waking from sleep: Windows will sometimes freeze when waking from sleep. When I wake Windows from sleep the screens turn on and I can see the mouse pointer but the rest of the screen is all black. The computer is completely unresponsive to keyboard inputs or mouse movement. Even hitting...