Windows 10: PC reboots while gaming - no BSOD nor logs available

Discus and support PC reboots while gaming - no BSOD nor logs available in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've finally decided to ask for help cause for the love of god I can't get out of it, been spending way too much time reading possible solutions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by babishh, Apr 29, 2020.

1. babishh Win User

PC reboots while gaming - no BSOD nor logs available

Hello, I've finally decided to ask for help cause for the love of god I can't get out of it, been spending way too much time reading possible solutions but nothing has worked until now.

It's been happening on and off the past couple of years that my PC decides to randomly crash ONLY while playing. It might stop doing that for a few months, then start doing it again over and over, even minutes apart, like lately. Since I play mostly online multiplayers, this causes lots of issues.

The issue is that the PC reboots without BSOD - hence why i posted in the main Win10 support section - and the Event Viewer does not show any information on why this happened.

PC Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    MSI B350 Tomahawk
    MSI GeForce 1060 6gb
    G.Skill Ripjaw 3200 2x8gb
    1 ssd - Win10
    1 ssd - Games
    1 hdd - Data
    Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778)

What i've done so far to try and fix the issue:
    • Thought Windows had to do with it -> Windows 10 reset (twice)
    • Stress tested CPU - even though idle/stress temps are fine (30/55) -> ran Prime95 extensively with no process failing.
    • Stress tested GPU - even though idle/stress temps are fine (30/60) -> ran FurMark for intensive stress, all fine. ran Unigine Heaven to stress for long periods, all fine.
    • Faulty RAM - Ran full memtest86 cycle, 0 errors
    • I found out that my headphones USB soundcard might be cause of freezes/crashes (HyperX Cloud 2 headset - discussion here -> Even after uninstalling the USB dongle and running audio directly through the motherboard, crashes continue.

Now, I'm left to consider it might either be:
    PSU
    Keyboard (?) - the mouse has been changed recently
    Motherboard

Can anyone help me look into this? Thanks in advance

:)

babishh, Apr 29, 2020
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Rebooting during games (no BSoD or dumps)

99% ?? Ummm, not in my experience. Often, yes. But it could also be heat. Or sometimes RAM. Or leaky caps. Or any number of other things. No BSOD (or Event Log entries) simply means the crash was so sudden, Windows didn't have time to toss up a error or write a log entry.

Wait! When I said earlier the logs did not state CPU temps, we got a reply saying they never went over 50°C. But I just realized that Pill Monster said that, not Dark_Oppressor. How do you know that, PM?

I ask Dark_Oppressor, what are your CPU temps?

As far as that Coolmax being a good PSU to test with, I think it is an excellent PSU to test with. If your system remains stable with this poorly rated Coolmax PSU, then that would even further suggest the other PSU was your problem.

Bill_Bright, Apr 29, 2020
  4. himoses Win User

Reboot with no BSOD during gaming

I retried all of the above to no avail. I do not get a BSOD. In the middle of gaming, my computer randomly reboots. I get no error messages. The screen goes black and it reboots.

himoses, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. PC reboots while gaming - no BSOD nor logs available - Similar Threads - reboots while gaming

2. PC Hard reboots while or after playing video games, no BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Hard reboots while or after playing video games, no BSOD: I have been chasing an issue wherein my PC will reboot either during or after playing a video game. The only time I've seen a relevant error was recently when "reboot after bugcheck" was displayed in event viewer. I researched that topic and performed suggested...
  3. PC Hard reboots while or after playing video games, no BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Hard reboots while or after playing video games, no BSOD: I have been chasing an issue wherein my PC will reboot either during or after playing a video game. The only time I've seen a relevant error was recently when "reboot after bugcheck" was displayed in event viewer. I researched that topic and performed suggested...
  4. PC Hard reboots while or after playing video games, no BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC reboots while playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC reboots while playing games: My speakers make a crackling sound and then the computer restarts by itself. This only happens while gaming.I've- checked for overheating- turned off Automatic Restart- checked RAM- changed power optionsI've also taken it twice to a repair shop. This is what they did:-...
  6. PC reboots while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC reboots while playing games: My speakers make a crackling sound and then the computer restarts by itself. This only happens while gaming.I've- checked for overheating- turned off Automatic Restart- checked RAM- changed power optionsI've also taken it twice to a repair shop. This is what they did:-...
  7. PC reboots while playing games

8. PC reboots while playing games

PC reboots while playing games: Everytime I'm playing a game my pc will simply reboot after a short amount of time. I have a brand new pc that contains the following specs: MSI VENTUS GTX 1660ti XS OC GPU, Intel i5 10400f CPU, 2x8 GB RAM HYPERX FURY 2666mhz CL16, 2tb HDD Seagate Barracuda, and a 250gb SSD...
  9. Pc BSOD while gaming?

Pc BSOD while gaming?: Hi, I was playing Forza 4 today, I noticed some stuttering but it wasn't FPS stuttering if you know what I mean lol, I have checked temps, I did a MEMTEST86 out of curiosity for 10 passes the other night and everything went great, I just don't understand what the hell is...
  10. Random BSOD Crashing and Rebooting while gaming.

Random BSOD Crashing and Rebooting while gaming.: Hi Everyone, Really having some annoying problems ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 pro x64 to Windows 10 pro x64. I play a variety of video games but most recently I've been playing Diablo 3 and for some reason my computer randomly crashes and restarts in the middle...