Windows 10: PC rebuild and Windows key code

Discus and support PC rebuild and Windows key code in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My PC was upgraded from W7 to W10 about a year ago over the internet for free. The PC has now failed and needs a new mother brd and processor etc but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FredPrice3, Feb 7, 2020.

1. PC rebuild and Windows key code

My PC was upgraded from W7 to W10 about a year ago over the internet for free. The PC has now failed and needs a new mother brd and processor etc but will retain the HDs. The repairer has told me that he needs the key code to reactivate W10 in the new set up or he will charge me $180 for a new copy of W10. I have no idea where to get the key code. I have an account with Microsoft for my outlook / 365 software but can’t see anything to do with myW10 or key codes. Do I need a key code?

:)

FredPrice3, Feb 7, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done PC rebuild and Windows key code :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Feb 7, 2020
  3. manherzjh Win User
    PC rebuild

I had to rebuild an old pc with apps I need that are not current but run on Windows Vista Ultimate. When I try to activate Vista, the MS server says the product key is in use (was activated on the old drive that failed, hence the rebuild). How do I get
    the server to allow me to activate my valid Windows Vista Ultimate on this rebuild?

manherzjh, Feb 7, 2020
  4. PC rebuild and Windows key code

Windows 10 search bar not working correctly, keeps searching and never finds anything.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1

I suggest you to check if Windows search service is running. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key and type "services.msc" and press
      enter.
    • Locate the Windows Search service and right click on it.
    • Click on Properties and check the start option has been enabled.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2

I suggest you to rebuild search index. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key +X and click on Control Panel.
    • From the Control Panel window select Indexing Options.
    • Click the Advanced button. Note: access to this option requires the PC administrator's permissions.
    • Select Rebuild. Selecting Rebuild will begin the process of deleting and then rebuilding your PC's search index, remember this is a time consuming process.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

PC rebuild and Windows key code

1. PC rebuild and Windows key code - Similar Threads - rebuild key code

2. PC crashing after rebuild

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing after rebuild: PC Bluescreen below are the two error latest error codes. I've tried digging though the dump file I'm not an expert on them but all I'm finding for these errors in the file is ??? entries in the dump.Some additional information this is a new install of windows 11. Previous...
  3. PC crashing after rebuild

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashing after rebuild: PC Bluescreen below are the two error latest error codes. I've tried digging though the dump file I'm not an expert on them but all I'm finding for these errors in the file is ??? entries in the dump.Some additional information this is a new install of windows 11. Previous...
  4. rebuilding Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rebuilding Windows: Should be easy, but I can't find the answer.I have two Windows PCs and a Windows laptop. want to donate all 3 to charity. I know how to wipe the HDs so data can't be retrieved. But, after wiping data, how do I reinstall windows on the HDs? All 3 have a D: partition - two...
  5. rebuilding Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    rebuilding Windows: Should be easy, but I can't find the answer.I have two Windows PCs and a Windows laptop. want to donate all 3 to charity. I know how to wipe the HDs so data can't be retrieved. But, after wiping data, how do I reinstall windows on the HDs? All 3 have a D: partition - two...
  6. New Windows OEM key not working after rebuilding my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Windows OEM key not working after rebuilding my PC: Hey I've just recently upgraded just about everything, minus my hardrive, ssd, and graphics card. I knew I needed to buy a new OEM version of windows 10 so I went ahead and bought windows 10 Pro OEM from walmart. However it does not appear to be working, I keep getting the...
  7. Rebuilding my No1 PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rebuilding my No1 PC: I am rebuilding my No.1 PC/Workstation because instability. It reboots every 5-10mins. It seems it is the MB or CPU causing the reboot. Problem is that it is not stable enough for me to create a USB installation file using the Media Creation Tool. Usually reboots sometime in...
  8. Rebuilding pc and license code

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rebuilding pc and license code: I am upgrading/building a new pc, I will replace the motherboard, cpu, ram case and psu but I will keep the GPU and HDD. I will never use the old parts again, so can I just reactivate Windows just like when you upgrade parts? Thanks in advance submitted by /u/ifuxit...
  9. Rebuild my PC...

Rebuild my PC...: I have a PC that came with windows 8 and I upgraded while it was free to Windows 10 PRO. I need to flatten it and reload windows. Will I lose my license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rebuild-my-pc/d9a9be3e-9869-42e0-87ff-e435ee581992
  10. PC Rebuild and Windows 10

PC Rebuild and Windows 10: Hello- I have a 10+ year old PC that I had built originally with a retail version of Windows, I believe version 7. Back when the offer came to download and upgrade to Windows 10 I did so and have been running it since. I am in the process of building a new PC utilizing an...