Windows 10: PC reports location in different state

Discus and support PC reports location in different state in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My PC is reporting its location in Salt Lake City, UT. I live in Kansas. This is a problem. It affects my time zone and location services. I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by j. derekreeves, May 12, 2020.

1. PC reports location in different state

My PC is reporting its location in Salt Lake City, UT. I live in Kansas. This is a problem.

It affects my time zone and location services. I have been unable to force my default location to change.

Any suggestions?

:)

j. derekreeves, May 12, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Again, Location is not correct on the maps, Showing me in another state!

Hi Wael,

Wrong region settings or corruption may be the possible reason why a location was not correct or showing a different state. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried to change it to the default location?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from making sure that region settings was correct?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot Cortana. You may expand each section and try performing the instructions that you have not yet done.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 12, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Hi Paul,

Wrong region settings or corruption may be the possible reason why a location was not correct or showing a different state. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried to change it to the default location?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article to troubleshoot Cortana.
    You may expand each section and try performing the instructions that you have not yet done.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 12, 2020
  4. PC reports location in different state

Unable to turn on Location in Windows 10

Hello,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Before we proceed further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue? Is it an abrupt issue?

• Do have any System Restore point set in Windows prior to the issue?

• Did you check if the same issue occurs when you log in to Windows using a different Local Administrator user account?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow the steps to try and fix the issue:

Step 1:

Follow the steps to change the region:

a) Type “Region” on the Search and click on
    Change your country or region option from the search results.

b) Now choose the location from the drop down menu to change the region. (As per your location)

Move to the next step.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to turn On Windows location platform on the computer and check if it helps.

You can follow the steps:

a) Type

b) Click on
    Change Location settings

c) Check the box which states “Turn ON Windows location platform” and “Help improve Windows Location services”.

e) Click on Apply.

Proceed to the next step.

Step 3:

If you are trying to use location settings for an app, I would suggest you to turn ON the settings to allow apps to use the location on the computer.

Follow the steps:

a) Type
    l
    ocation on the Search.

b) Click on
    Location privacy settings

c) Move the slider towards the right to turn ON settings for ‘Let Windows apps use my location’.

Restart the computer once after making the changes.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Location service in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 12, 2020
Thema:

PC reports location in different state

1. PC reports location in different state - Similar Threads - reports location different

2. Windows 10, Ethernet + Wi-Fi - Location services put computer in a different state.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10, Ethernet + Wi-Fi - Location services put computer in a different state.: When Wi-Fi ethernet adapter (intel-based chip) is turned on, location services fail. It shows me a thousand miles away. Wi-Fi isn't connected to a network. This is a desktop system, and the Wi-Fi adapter is a PCIx1 card. When I flip Wi-Fi off and only use Ethernet, my...
  3. Windows reports me in an incorrect location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows reports me in an incorrect location: This has happened before, and I'm not certain if Windows corrected itself or if I fixed it. I live in the dead center of the United States. Windows thinks I'm by the Oakland Zoo California. I've tried changing my default location. It keeps thinking I'm in Oakland....
  4. location says Im in a different state.

location says Im in a different state.: If I go to the maps for windows 10 it says that im in California when im actually in Michigan. It makes the time be 3 hours behind because it forces the time zone to be pacific rather than eastern, due to my location saying that im in California. Ive spent more than 10 hours...
  5. Different temp location

Different temp location: What's the difference between C/windows/temp Vs Appdata/local/temp Experts reply it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-temp-location/643dd8a4-36f4-4d3f-b66d-eabe2e01f6e7"
  6. An erroneous state location

in Cortana
    An erroneous state location: Why am I getting two different home address state locations when I am entering personal information into drop down menus on certain web sites. One state location is correct, but the other is in another state all together. I suspect my computer profile is incorrect, but I do...
  7. Cortana reports wrong location

in Cortana
    Cortana reports wrong location: Cortana has wrong address for me and I have been unable to change it. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I have tried multiple suggestions none have worked. It is very frustrating to told that I am in a location 4000 miles away when in reality I am less than 10....
  8. Windows Reports Incorrect Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Reports Incorrect Location: Hello, Unfortunately it seems that windows is reporting the wrong location on my laptop. Worse yet, since the location it reports is across a time zone the wrong time is reported for my location. While I can manually set the time zone, I'd prefer not to. If I search on Bing...
  9. Change my city and state location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change my city and state location: How do I change my city and state location https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-my-city-and-state-location/4767d750-610d-4bca-b7a2-05580fdb88e6
  10. Use different taskbar locations on different displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use different taskbar locations on different displays: When I first upgraded, the taskbar on my first display was located on the left side of the display and the taskbar on my second display was located on the bottom. I liked this. But I wanted to see how I'd like having both on left hand side. I went into taskbar properties....