Windows 10: PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC.

Discus and support PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a dual boot win10/win8 which I have now upgraded to both win10. I chose "remove everything" when upgrading from Win8 to Win10 which should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Iggyz, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Iggyz Win User

PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC.

I had a dual boot win10/win8 which I have now upgraded to both win10.

I chose "remove everything" when upgrading from Win8 to Win10 which should leave me with just a default Windows 10 installation I was hoping. When I look at the amount to disc space used on the harddisc it's over 400 Gb so there is a lot of leftovers there.
    I was thinking of doing a reset PC /remove everything on the disc in question but it seems that the installation is picking up BOTH windows 10 discs/installation. Is there any way I can get the reset PC targeted on just the one Win10 disc?

Thanks in advance.

//Iggy

:)

Iggyz, Oct 22, 2015

2. OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

OMG I JUST SAID A FEW POSTS UP "if so how would i be able to add Phoenix OS to the boot manager config in windows 10 UEFI" SO OBVIOSLY I HAVE THE DUAL BOOT FILES SITTING ON MY LAPTOP HDD IN ANOTHER PARTITION BUT IT IS NOT CURRENTLY SET UP FOR DUALBOOTING
    AS WITH EVERY TIME U INSTALL OR REINSTALL AN OS (MAINLY WINDOWS) THE BCD RESETS AND ERASES ALL INFORMATION AND REPLACES IT WITH THE OS UR INSTALLING'S INFO, WHEN I WAS IN WINDOWS 7 EVERY TIME I RESET MY PC TO FACTORY STATE I HAD TO REINSTALL THE OS (run the
    phoenix 1.7.0 beta.exe) JUST TO GET IT TO DUAL BOOT AGAIN, BASICALLY IT IS LIKE THIS

INSTALL NEW WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REINSTALL WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

DOWNGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

UPGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REASON Y? THE BCD IS EDITED WHILE INSTALLING AN OS AND DEPENDING ON THE OS INSTALL SETTINGS IF IT HAS ANY, IT EITHER INSTALLS AS DUALBOOT WITH A SPECIFIC OS, EG DUALBOOT WINDOWS 10 AND WINDOWS 7, DUALBOOT WITH UR EXISTING OS('S), OR ONLY LAUNCH THE OS ITSELF
    (eg upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and u will loose ur dualboot config and nolonger be able to dual boot until u rerun the installer u used to install the dualboot os wich i have not done yet)

MatthewGood, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Resetting EFI partition

i am using Windows 10 1703.My pc was dualbooted before and later i removed it. When i boot from windows 10 disc and choose command prompt it shows computer name as MINT. I tried resetting the bootloader using bootrec but the linux option still exists in
    bios. Please suggest a solution.

Moved fromPC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC. :( Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup )

vishnu unni, Oct 22, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make yourself a Windows 10 installation DVD/USB with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Make sure to get exactly the same version of Windows 10 you have now. Boot the computer from the USB or DVD, select install now, custom install. Reformat the partition that you want the clean install to go to, then install to the newly formatted partition. When it asks for a Product Key, click "skip" or "do this later".

You will be left with a dual boot between the partition containing the untouched Windows 10 installation and the new one.

NavyLCDR, Oct 22, 2015
  5. Hello Iggyz Welcome to the Ten Forums!

Since you elected to upgrade the 8 install to 10 you may want to consider having a single OS if this is all on one drive by itself and wasn't a dual boot across drives. That will allow two choices of seeing a second storage/backup partition if this is a single drive system or with a complete wipe of the drive see a brand new larger single primary created for a single clean install of 10. Believe me trying out a new OS can see drive space used up faster then you might realize!

PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC. [​IMG]

With the dual boot here I ended up back in 7 and then found this where the 10 drive was almost full! I had been recording videos and storing them in 10 on the 10 drive itself and it got filled fast!

Now for the "Custom" install option the better move as outlined in the Clean Install guide is to first see the drive made unallocated or wiped clean by deletion of the existing partitions unless planning a second one you can use for backup purposes. Many automatically prefer a fresh primary to go with a brand new OS when starting over from scratch to avoid carrying anything lingering around into the fresh install where it could cause a problem or two.

Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Iggyz Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR!
    I tried this as well but got stuck with a "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style" error.
    I have now repartitioned the SSD disc with diskpart so that it's now NTFS and installed Win10 without any problems.

Iggyz, Oct 23, 2015
  7. Iggyz Win User
    Thanks for the welcome Night Hawk!

I have 4 discs (well actually 5) 3 SSDs and 2 SATAS. My goal for this was to keep the Win10 that I currently use and have a clean Win10 on one of the SSD's with dualboot since I have 2 licenses.
    I have successfully installed done a clean Win10 install on one of the SSDs now so I am very happy!

PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC. [​IMG]

Thanks once again.

Iggyz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC reset on a dualboot (both Windows 10) PC. - Similar Threads - reset dualboot both

2. Windows 10 on both drives. Same PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on both drives. Same PC: I have just purchased a new blank hard drive for my PC which I intend to install Windows 10 on. My current hard drive has an activated copy of Windows 10 on it linked to my Microsoft account. I would like to leave both drives in my computer and then choose which one to boot...
  3. DualBoot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DualBoot Windows 10: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  4. Unsync both PC'S

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unsync both PC'S: I have two pc's both with windows 10. While setting it up it asked me to sign in to microsoft account I signed in on both computers using the same microsoft account and password. Now everything saved on one computer gets saved on the other as well...I want to unsync both...
  5. reset this pc window 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reset this pc window 10: Hi I am wondering can someone help please. My pc suddenly re-booted and was in diagnostic mode for a bit and now i am in pc repair and keeping all my files. I managed to get the long key through my microsoft account but now I am at the part where I enter the password for...
  6. Windows 10 "reset this PC" not resetting PC

Windows 10 "reset this PC" not resetting PC: I want to install a fresh copy of win10 and tried the reset this PC, after windows 10 reset with remove all files not wipe drive. After reboot and profile login, everything is still on the computer. I did this twice. checking the file manager, file $windows.~BT was created,...
  7. WINDOWS 10 RESET PC

WINDOWS 10 RESET PC: Hello, so ive been trying to reset my pc, but when its like at 35% it just puts a bunch of options, and then redirects me to the windows 10 home screen, and then when i login to my acc, it says,”no changes were made to this pc, there was a problem resetting your pc.”...
  8. Resetting Pc windows 10

Resetting Pc windows 10: I would like to ask this question just for knowledge purposes. Why we need a recovery environment while resetting the Pc to factory settings as when I was clicking on getting started for resetting a Pc ,A popup window came alerting me " could not find recovery enviroment"....
  9. PC resetting, do both delete windows?

PC resetting, do both delete windows?: I just need to know a yes or no question, not a paragraph. Will “keeping my personal files” on the windows reset feature delete windows? Since I’ve had the issue before where it completely deleted windows using the “remove everything” option, I would like to know if the other...
  10. Windows 10 Reset PC

Windows 10 Reset PC: Does this wipe Apps/programs from the OS drive only or from all drives? Thank you. 15204