Windows 10: PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

Discus and support PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was away from my pc the pc was idle but when I came back I noticed that my pc restarted by itself I want to know why ? or if there is something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by salythegirl1, Jun 14, 2017.

1. PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

I was away from my pc the pc was idle
    but when I came back I noticed that my pc restarted by itself
    I want to know why ?
    or if there is something wrong with my hardware
    event viewer ?
    please let me what I need to search in event viewer
    thank you

windows 10 64 bit
    i7 6700k
    gigabyte z170x gaming 5
    sapphire r9 390 ntro 8GB
    16 GB ram

edit
    I think it restarted between 7 and 7.20 pm (my local time) but I'm not sure
    if this help in eventviewer
    thank you so much .

:)

salythegirl1, Jun 14, 2017
  2. P.KM Win User

When the pc is idling, all windows 10 pre-installed apps (such as mail, calendar, calculator, setting, store, photos and OneNote will open by itself, why? and how to fix it?

When the pc is idling, all windows 10 pre-installed apps (such as mail, calendar, calculator, setting, store, photos and OneNote will open by itself, why? and how to fix it?

3. How to stop Antimalware Service Executable from hogging cpu on Windows 10

Hi guys. I just checked options Start when Idle and stop when exit from idle in the Schedule for Defender and then restarted PC. So last two weeks my PC runs fine.

DenisPujdak, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

A 'normal' event for Win 10, with no changes to control Windows updates, could be a Windows update requiring a restart.

Most people have probably either set Active Hours to stop that happening for up to 12 hrs (18 hrs in the Creator's Build I believe), or set Windows Updates to notify (for later manual download).

You can check that in your Update History, at least by date.

As you say, examining your event log might also be relevant, though a lot less obvious.
    For example: (I quote)
    Identifying event id's from a number is easier than finding out what event id's to expect.
    Troubleshooting Information for Windows Events

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  5. thank you for answering
    please can you tell me exactly what I need to search in event viewer and I will post images from my event viewer here
    I just want to be sure its not a hardware proplem
    I'm not that good in computer
    that's why I'm asking
    but tell me what part of my eventviewer you want me to post an images for it
    thank you

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, as I said, predicting the relevant event id's for a restart that occurred for unknown reasons is not straightforward. Try searching for 'What is the event id for a restart' for example, and you'll see what I mean.

I can only suggest you inspect the events around the period of interest , looking for a log off, shut down, restart... and if necessary using the link I posted to identify them. Trying to work out why a PC restarted just from the event viewer could be extremely time consuming, depending on the number of events.

If you're lucky and there are few, then it may be feasible to discover something.

First you'd need a list in time order - note that if you simply open the Event Viewer, the reports are categorised,which make tracking something through time impossible. as you know the time period, you could try this:

PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in [​IMG]

But easier is to get this free program (title top left) which lists events in order:

Much easier: look at your update history for that day: does it show an update being applied? If so, what is it? Does that update require a restart?

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  7. I will post as many images as I can in this post
    1-from my update history yes there is an update for today

but can I be 100% it is the update the caused the pc to restart ?
    here is some images from my event viewer

here I searched for these events ids 1074, 6006, 6008
    I found only 2 for today 15 .6

I searched for this event 6008
    which according to this page
    Read Shutdown Logs in Event Viewer in Windows Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    6008 means Logged as a dirty shutdown
    but found nothing

also as you see in the first image I post there is no Critical error which according to the web
    when unexpected shutdown or restart happen it will usually result in Critical error in event viewer

I hope these images will help
    thanks to this page it helped me a lot find and search the event viewer
    Read Shutdown Logs in Event Viewer in Windows Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

8. dalchina New Member

Unfortunately your screenshots were not posted.
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.
    (Or see the Tutorial section for a guide on posting a screenshot).

Let's try and keep this simple.
    1. What was the update you received on the day in question? Does it require a restart?
    2. Download and run Fulleventlogview (shown in my post above, free).
    Browse down to the day/time of interest, then post a screenshot, full-screen, of that program.
    Hopefully the events around that time will include something indicating logging, shutting down etc.

Yes, that is helpful if you are looking for particular events. But in this instance, that would only take you to a time when the event you assume occurred did occur. What does that tell you? Well, you already know the time, so that's not new. It only confirms an event of the sort you're looking for occurred at that time- it won't help to tell you why.

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  9. here the images again I uploaded them to tenforums as attachments
    thank you for your help again
    please take a look at them maybe you will find something .

as you can see in the first 3 images I searched for events
    6008 1074 and 6006
    in the date 15 .6
    there is event 1074 and 6006 at time 7.13
    but I don't understand what it said
    it only say the event log was stopped
    also yes according to the update it said you may have to restart your system

salythegirl1, Jun 15, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    One thing to try: Check your Reliability History at the time of interest. Unlike Update History this give the time an update was applied.

Type Reli in Cortana's search bar. Click Reliability History. Look for the blue i for update reports e.g.

And to confirm:
    kb4022725 needed a restart.

What’s New in Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4022725

dalchina, Jun 15, 2017
  11. the update was applied on 7:14
    and according to event viewer there is 2 events 6006 and 1074 at 7:11:53 and 7:13:50
    I think I can now be 100% sure that it restarted to complete the update right ??
    thank you so much again for your time .

salythegirl1, Jun 15, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Seems reasonable. You should use Active Hours to set the period during which you don't want restarts, and you should consider setting Windows Updates to notify.

You don't want unexpected restarts losing you work.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in - Similar Threads - restarted itself was

2. Laptop restart itself while idling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restart itself while idling: I have problem with my brand new HP OMEN. It tend to restart it self from time to time when it sit idle. Sometimes it boot back up normally sometimes like last time i had to manually shut it down and turn it back on. Its a shame for such a pricey laptop to behave like this....
  3. Laptop restart itself while idling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop restart itself while idling: I have problem with my brand new HP OMEN. It tend to restart it self from time to time when it sit idle. Sometimes it boot back up normally sometimes like last time i had to manually shut it down and turn it back on. Its a shame for such a pricey laptop to behave like this....
  4. Why is my PC restarting by itself when i close my games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my PC restarting by itself when i close my games?: I got a bugcheck saying its my RAM but i use the diagnosis system, its all fine, my GPU is up to date, same for windows windows 11, My power supply should be fine, i really need help please. The error i get in the Control panel: 0x0000001a It says its a blue screen error, but...
  5. Why is my PC restarting by itself when i close my games?

Why is my PC restarting by itself when i close my games?: I got a bugcheck saying its my RAM but i use the diagnosis system, its all fine, my GPU is up to date, same for windows windows 11, My power supply should be fine, i really need help please. The error i get in the Control panel: 0x0000001a It says its a blue screen error, but...
  6. PC Restart Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Restart Itself: We have IPC from Beckhoff installed on our folding MachinePC restart itself without any permission during the normal operation of machine one surprising scenerio is occuring here The Scenerio is that "the pc restart itself only when we switch ON the power after one or two...
  7. PC Restart Itself

PC Restart Itself: We have IPC from Beckhoff installed on our folding MachinePC restart itself without any permission during the normal operation of machine one surprising scenerio is occuring here The Scenerio is that "the pc restart itself only when we switch ON the power after one or two...
  8. PC restarts itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC restarts itself: I bought a new Lenovo laptop and installed some softwares on it like Autocad, 3D Max and Photoshop plus to Microsoft office. when I'm trying to make file save as,the PC shows me a blue screen and start itself as attached Could you help me with this problem whether it...
  9. How can i check why my pc was restarted ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i check why my pc was restarted ?: I came home now and i saw my pc restarted. It was on the log in screen so i entered my user name and password and everything loaded fine. But why and when my pc was restarted ? What i tried to do so far is running Event Viewer then i went to Windiws Logs > System and then...
  10. PC Restarting by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Restarting by itself: Hi my PC had started rebooting without any user input, this seems to be happening only when the PC is not in use. I'll leave the PC with a browser window up or just on the desktop and when I come back a while later it is at the login screen. As far as I can tell...