Windows 10: PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

Discus and support PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login in Cortana to solve the problem; I restored my wife's PC to make it my own. After process done, it still was asking for her login. Now her login is not recognized. I was expecting the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Brendan O'Sullivan2, Dec 21, 2022.

1. PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

I restored my wife's PC to make it my own. After process done, it still was asking for her login. Now her login is not recognized. I was expecting the PC to go back to a new user setup and walk me through the setup like a new PC. Can get to the login screen with her name but nothing works.

:)

Brendan O'Sullivan2, Dec 21, 2022
  2. Tom-Con Win User

Problem with 'restore from your previous PC' in Windows 11 setup wizard for a brand new PC

On my brand new Windows 11 PC (Lenovo), a setup wizard launches when you first power up. It gets to a step where it offers to [direct quote of wizard] "Use settings &preferences, sync OneDrive files, and select apps to install from this device". The problem is that "this device" is not correct. We have two other PC's in the house, both Windows 10. The one that the wizard is offering to restore from, is not the one that i want to restore from.

My problem is that the wizard does not seem to offer a way to "see" the other PC in the household. Both are on and connected to the WiFi network. So, why is this new PC only seeing one of the other PCs in the household?

Or more importantly how can i tell this wizard to "look again" or something like that? It seems to offer no option other than to choose that 1 PC, or to "set up as a new device". There is no "back" button in the Wizard, it seems to be one-way only. I guess "setup as a new device" is what i will have to fall back to, but boy that's going to be alot of work to port over manually all preferences and apps. Would really like to have the Windows 11 Setup Wizard do that work for me.

Any suggestions? Is there any workaround or way to get this New PC Wizard to see the other PC that it is currently not seeing? Or perhaps is there a way, after i set up, to go back and then fetch the settings and apps from the other PC, assisted by a wizard instead of completely manually (if so please tell me how to find it).

Thanks!

Tom-Con, Dec 21, 2022
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Dec 21, 2022
  4. PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

Just bought PC and can't login

This is solved. Moral of the story is you must setup a Microsoft account or you can't login. My old laptop was Win 7 and that was not the case. The fix was to do a factory restore by booting with F4 held down. Then go through the setup and include a MS account.

madgreek65, Dec 21, 2022
Thema:

PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

1. PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login - Similar Threads - Restore going setup

2. PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login: I restored my wife's PC to make it my own. After process done, it still was asking for her login. Now her login is not recognized. I was expecting the PC to go back to a new user setup and walk me through the setup like a new PC. Can get to the login screen with her name but...
  3. PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Restore not going to new PC setup and now I cannot login: I restored my wife's PC to make it my own. After process done, it still was asking for her login. Now her login is not recognized. I was expecting the PC to go back to a new user setup and walk me through the setup like a new PC. Can get to the login screen with her name but...
  4. New PC setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC setup: I got a new PC from my work and I'm stuck on the "Who's going to use this PC?" screen. I tried putting in my own name and password and the ones that my company gave me but keep hearing "that name doesn't work." I'm using regular characters for everything but nothing seems to...
  5. New PC setup

New PC setup: I got a new PC from my work and I'm stuck on the "Who's going to use this PC?" screen. I tried putting in my own name and password and the ones that my company gave me but keep hearing "that name doesn't work." I'm using regular characters for everything but nothing seems to...
  6. New PC settings cannot login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    New PC settings cannot login: I just received a new PC computer. It seems I did something wrong when I was setting it up. I thought I followed the prompts correctly, but was distracted by a customer call in the middle of the process. It went to a login screen for Windows and when I enter my email and...
  7. New PC settings cannot login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC settings cannot login: I just received a new PC computer. It seems I did something wrong when I was setting it up. I thought I followed the prompts correctly, but was distracted by a customer call in the middle of the process. It went to a login screen for Windows and when I enter my email and...
  8. New PC settings cannot login

9. New pc setup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New pc setup: I want to set up a new computer for use in my own home for me only as a local user with no password and no need for system administrator overrides or permissions to access any and all files and folders on my own computer. Are their instructions for doing this? I also want...
  10. NEW PC Setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NEW PC Setup: Hi All Newer Gaming PC from Asus arriving by Monday, getting things in order So far got all the drivers for the external hardware Plan on transferring sorta new ssd to the new machine, will be used as boot drive First gonna do system image of current hard drive in the...