Windows 10: PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open

Discus and support PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a HP-500-Pavilion Model System Model 500-205t PC with the following components. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3500... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BWTSupportRequestor, Jan 15, 2020.

1. PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open

Hello,

I have a HP-500-Pavilion Model System Model 500-205t PC with the following components.

Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3500 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
    Installed Physical Memory RAM: 6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory: 5.91 GB
    Available Physical Memory: 584 MB
    Total Virtual Memory: 14.1 GB
    Available Virtual Memory: 5.57 GB
    Page File Space: 8.14 GB

This PC is running very slow. Applications take a long time to open. The system slows to a crawl when 2 or more applications are open.

Is Available Physical Memory the cause of 584MB the cause?

How do I go about improving its speed?

Thanks!

:)

BWTSupportRequestor, Jan 15, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

svchost.exe multiple applications or threads running

Hi Stacy, this is normal in Windows 10 . . .

Svchost is a process in Windows that other applications run on top of . . .

While there are a lot of them running, they use little if any resources and should not slow your system down.

If your PC is running slow, I would look for another cause.

Open Task Manager:

When you PC is running slow, which hardware item is busy (Hard drive, CPU or RAM). Whichever item is running busy, click on that column header, so the arrow is facing down, what are the top 5 processes listed in the process list?

DaveM121, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Jan 15, 2020
  4. PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open

1. PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open - Similar Threads - running slow Applications

2. Very slow application opening time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow application opening time!: I'm starting any application and it goes to background with 0% CPU usage. I tried to reinstall windows several times but it didn't work. I have 2 windows 11 systems and on one of them all seems to work great. Applications are loading very VERY long. Some installation...
  3. Very slow application opening time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow application opening time!: I'm starting any application and it goes to background with 0% CPU usage. I tried to reinstall windows several times but it didn't work. I have 2 windows 11 systems and on one of them all seems to work great. Applications are loading very VERY long. Some installation...
  4. Applications take long time to install/open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications take long time to install/open: I have fresh windows on fresh very powerful computer so this shouldn't be the case but trying to open any installer of any app takes forever like 5 minutes and applications are sluggish to open. Idle resources are low meaning that there is nothing slowing down the computer....
  5. Applications take long time to install/open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications take long time to install/open: I have fresh windows on fresh very powerful computer so this shouldn't be the case but trying to open any installer of any app takes forever like 5 minutes and applications are sluggish to open. Idle resources are low meaning that there is nothing slowing down the computer....
  6. PC is taking time to open

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is taking time to open: Hi ,My pc is taking at least 1 to 2 minute in opening .But sometimes it opens fine at its normal time 20-30 seconds.Please tell what to do . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-is-taking-time-to-open/f13a414f-7b1c-440c-9f62-7c67214386d6
  7. Display taking a lot of time to appear!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display taking a lot of time to appear!: Hi friends. I need help. I recently purchased a PC with the original Windows 10 Pro. It was running smoothly until an update happened. The PC still runs very smoothly without any issues, but it is taking a lot of time for the display to appear. Once, it appears, everything is...
  8. Applications running slow on good pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Applications running slow on good pc: Hello, after i changed from manjaro linux today i started to notice how slow the applications work, and the internet speed to. I did have windows before and it ran perfectly without any problem. The user interface of windows works perfectly only the applications that i start...
  9. version 2004, very slow and applications take a long time to open!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    version 2004, very slow and applications take a long time to open!: I recently formatted my PC and installed the 2004 version of Windows 10. This version is very slow and heavy, applications take a long time to open. The only good thing about this version is that it has solved the blue screen problem The previous version 1903 was good, but...
  10. refresh takes a lot of time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    refresh takes a lot of time: Recently I am facing the issue of long buffering after a right click on the desktop, for refreshing the PC. I have tried several measures but for no use. Could you suggest something more technical and deep rooted? Please help me out here......