Windows 10: PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed

Discus and support PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, Im a newbie on this forum so tell me if Im posting incorrectly or doing anything else wrong? We`ve been told by Microsoft that Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gue1, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Gue1 Win User

PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie on this forum so tell me if Im posting incorrectly or doing anything else wrong?

We`ve been told by Microsoft that Windows 10 is the best and most stable OS ever, but thats not my experience of it. Im constantly googling how to sort things out that are not working in Win 10 or following instructional videos on YT to try and resolve things, and what staggers me is I have a particular problem, I google it or search within You Tube for an answer but invariably straightaway start getting responses saying `Oh yes this is a common or well known problem in Windows 10`! Well why dont Seattle get off their bums and put these well known issues put right in their updates?

My current problem, thats driving me absolutely mad, is the slow transfer speed Win 10 has in just copying data files from my PC to various hard disk drives or even to another folder on the same disk that the original file is on, on my PC. On Windows 8.1, I used to get transfer speeds of 200 mb/s regularly, now running Windows 10 it can be anything from 13 mb/s down to a few kb/s! This is total madness, I used to back up all my data on a Saturday and it used to take a couple of hours, now its taking anything up to 3 days. Now I've tried a few fixes people have suggested via Google searches or in YT videos but to date I`m in as bad a state as a few weeks ago, when thinking the problem was `something unknown` on my system I had a complete OS reinstall done on my PC and the file transfer speed when I got my PC back hadn't changed one iota. My PC is a Lenovo H50-50 desktop i5-4460 processor with 16GB RAM, it was manufactured in February 2015, so surely not ready for the scrap heap just yet.

Any help that anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Steve

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 24, 2020
  3. treyswild Win User
    Windows 10 extremely slow file transfer speeds

I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7 and 8.1 and all were experiencing 70-90MB/sec file transfer speeds. My internet was and still is 60MB/sec. After upgrading to windows 10 the file transfer speeds went to 5-8MB/sec. Internet speed is unaffected. I have followed many forums and tried every suggestion and nothing has resolved this issue. The last big windows 10 update did slow down the native windows 10 machine from 70-90MB/sec to 50-60MB/sec. Also, the native Win 10 machine is connecting via wifi and others via ethernet (wired)
    Any new ideas? Yes, latest drivers. Yes, Large Offload is disabled and many other suggestions.

treyswild, Sep 24, 2020
  4. PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed

Transfer speed

If you want the speed of your uploads and downloads, use the sites in the link above me. If you are looking to see the speed within the network, transfer a large file and expand the window showing the movement, it should display a speed of that file from PC to PC.

sneekypeet, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed

1. PC running Windows 10 appalling file transfer speed - Similar Threads - running appalling file

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...: how can i get rid of this pop up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferred-files-programs-etc-from-my-old-pc/0948e6fc-5b38-47e1-a8cc-65250cf80d6e
  5. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...: how can i get rid of this pop up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferred-files-programs-etc-from-my-old-pc/0948e6fc-5b38-47e1-a8cc-65250cf80d6e
  6. transferred files, programs, etc., from my old PC running Windows 10 to new PC running...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows File transfer Speeds (10% network utilisation)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File transfer Speeds (10% network utilisation): I have a Windows 10 and Window 7 machine, both connected to the same home network. Windows 10 connect Wireless at over 450mbps, and the Windows 7 machine wired at 1gbps. When I file transfer, I max out at about 15mB/s and about 10% of the network utilisation. How to I...
  8. Speed up USB3 File Transfer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Speed up USB3 File Transfer: I was copying some large Hyper-V vhds to an external ssd from an internal ssd via usb3, and I was getting a sedate 130 MBS even through the ssds can handle close to 500 MB/S and USB3 can handle up to 480 MB/s. Of course, we all know that in the real world, you are lucky if...
  9. Increase transfer speed of windows file transfer (SMB)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Increase transfer speed of windows file transfer (SMB): I have setup a shared drive so I can access my files with my Android devices but the transfer speed is very slow around 500 KB - 1.5 MB per second. My QNAP NAS that also using SMB is transfering very fast up to 12 MB/s. Can i increase transfer speed of SMB? 97787
  10. File Transfer Speed Extremely Low

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Transfer Speed Extremely Low: Hi. I was trying to copy a 2gb file over to another folder, and the transfer speed dropped down to kilobytes or even bytes per second. Sometimes, however, it wildly fluctuates all over the place - from 4KB/s to 50MB/s. How can I fix this? Thanks. 76291