Windows 10: PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

Discus and support PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC says that I am using 449 gigabytes when I counted up how much I was using on apps & features, other people, pictures, documents, and temporary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BlueHaloMelissaHanson, Jan 17, 2022.

1. PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

My PC says that I am using 449 gigabytes when I counted up how much I was using on apps & features, other people, pictures, documents, and temporary files and it amounted to 38.71 gigabytes. It says that apps and features are using 397 gigabytes, which is most of the storage space, when I clicked on it and counted up the apps and features to see that they totaled 24.6 gigabytes. How do I fix this issue?

:)

BlueHaloMelissaHanson, Jan 17, 2022
  2. locked Win User

Storage showing as double the actual SSD size

Running Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.964) on an AMD based Windows Surface Laptop 4 with 512GB SSD.

Even though it has a 512GB SDD as confirmed by both disk management and file explorer, settings -> system -> Storage reports the size as 951GB! I have searched but struggling to discover how to get it to report the real size.

Per the image below it shows
    • 553GB used - bigger than the size of the SDD
      519GB in system & reserved

PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am. [​IMG]

System and reserved breaks down per this screenshot

PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am. [​IMG]

Have tried various options including disk cleanup, SFC and DSIM to get it to report the correct size but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to correct this much appreciated?

locked, Jan 17, 2022
  3. Storage Problem

Hi,

It's possible that the 346GB of space that you're seeing under the Apps & games window refers to the available space of the selected drive and not the actual usage. To confirm this information, we suggest that you check the total
    usage through the Storage usage screen instead. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start menu or Windows icon.
    • Select the gear icon or Settings.
    • Select System > Storage.
    • Under Choose a drive to see what's taking up space, select
      This PC (Drive letter)
    • Under Apps & games, check if the space usage exceeds the estimate 140GB of space.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Jan 17, 2022
  4. PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Jan 17, 2022
Thema:

PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

1. PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am. - Similar Threads - says using more

2. My PC is saying I am using more space than I actually am

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC is saying I am using more space than I actually am: I am currently trying to free up storage on my PC ; under the "installed apps" tab in my storage, it says that I am using 61Gb's of storage, but when I open up the tab I only count around 8Gb's being used....
  3. My PC is saying I am using more space than I actually am

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC is saying I am using more space than I actually am: I am currently trying to free up storage on my PC ; under the "installed apps" tab in my storage, it says that I am using 61Gb's of storage, but when I open up the tab I only count around 8Gb's being used....
  4. Why does my storage show more used gb than I actually am using?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my storage show more used gb than I actually am using?: Recently I bought a new laptop. I checked the storage first once I got it. The local disk shows that 40 or so gb is already used. I have checked all the applications and files and it doesn't add up....
  5. Why does my storage show more used gb than I actually am using?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my storage show more used gb than I actually am using?: Recently I bought a new laptop. I checked the storage first once I got it. The local disk shows that 40 or so gb is already used. I have checked all the applications and files and it doesn't add up....
  6. Why does my storage show more used gb than I actually am using?

7. Storage Spaces says it uses 11TB more than it actually does.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces says it uses 11TB more than it actually does.: I am currently moving data off storage spaces onto another drive because of the 63TB limit and I cannot remove the drive because it says it's still using that amount of space. It says it's using 44.4TB but both WizTree and Explorer add up to 33.3TBhttps://imgur.com/JaiXl1E...
  8. Storage Spaces says it uses 11TB more than it actually does.

Storage Spaces says it uses 11TB more than it actually does.: I am currently moving data off storage spaces onto another drive because of the 63TB limit and I cannot remove the drive because it says it's still using that amount of space. It says it's using 44.4TB but both WizTree and Explorer add up to 33.3TBhttps://imgur.com/JaiXl1E...
  9. PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.: My PC says that I am using 449 gigabytes when I counted up how much I was using on apps & features, other people, pictures, documents, and temporary files and it amounted to 38.71 gigabytes. It says that apps and features are using 397 gigabytes, which is most of the storage...
  10. PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.

PC says that I am using more storage than I actually am.: My PC says that I am using 449 gigabytes when I counted up how much I was using on apps & features, other people, pictures, documents, and temporary files and it amounted to 38.71 gigabytes. It says that apps and features are using 397 gigabytes, which is most of the storage...