Windows 10: PC Set up as a server problem

Discus and support PC Set up as a server problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a pc running windows 10 Pro. New hard drive new Win 10 install. I have Plex, Air Video HD and Air Playit installed and have them loading at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by janiedjs, Mar 13, 2016.

1. janiedjs Win User

PC Set up as a server problem

I have a pc running windows 10 Pro. New hard drive new Win 10 install. I have Plex, Air Video HD and Air Playit installed and have them loading at startup. And hopefully they will stay that way. The icons appear in the taskbar in the lower right corner. I have 2 people on Plex that can log into my server as user friends. A couple times a day or more one of them calls me and tells me they can't log on. I then go to remote desktop and log onto my server. Windows 10 loads and I see that the icons are missing from the taskbar and I wait a few seconds and they start loading up as though my computer shut down and restarted. I don't see a windows update therefore explaining why this might be happening. It happens several times a day. My computer is not set to hibernate or sleep. Once I have logged in through Remote Desktop (because I am not at home when I get the call) everyone is happy again because they now can access my server whether they are using Plex or Air Video HD. Any suggestions? I have spent hours and hours researching this. I wasn't sure exactly how to explain it here in the forum.
    Thanks

:)

janiedjs, Mar 13, 2016

2. how can you set up wp7 as a modem for your pc?

I didn't think it was possible at all with WinMo7?!? Is it not one of the updates in 7.5 (mango) announced recently?

ChrisCordell, Mar 13, 2016
  3. MandyShaw Win User
    how can you set up wp7 as a modem for your pc?

I'm afraid this doesn't seem to be supported for HTC 'phones (there is a workaround for the Samsung ones).

MandyShaw, Mar 13, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are having them just connect to it through the Public IP, your ISP can block them for looking at it as a Pirating issue. Even on a VPN, if the ISP sees a lot of traffic on your connection, they can throttle it down to stop you from using your connection for a server.

Really for a Media Server, you do not need any GUI, the Plex server can be ran on FreeNAS. The other two servers can cause issues if the computer is sending very high quality streams, choking the bandwidth, which will cause your router to crash.

As for remote connections, use VPN and RealVNC to access vs. Remote Desktop. Also invest in a good quality wired router to connect any servers to. Just watch out for how much traffic you are sending out through your connection.

bro67, Mar 13, 2016
  5. janiedjs Win User
    I have Centurylink 1 Gig internet. I have Plex server on the pc and the files that are accessed on the Nas.

janiedjs, Mar 13, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It does not matter how fast your Internet Connection is. Unless it is a Business account, your ISP can limit you for running a server against their terms, if they see a lot of traffic going through your connection. Majority of NAS boxes that consumers buy are not capable of being media servers. You have to either build a box to run FreeNAS on, with a powerful enough CPU and Enterprise grade hard drives. Or use a Synology NAS.

Also as I stated, the router will dump a connection if it starts getting flooded. This is where business grade routers like what I use on my network, can handle the workload and have enough horsepower.

bro67, Mar 13, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    With most ISPs operating an Internet accessible server is contrary to the terms of service for a standard account. Usually only a business class account would permit this. Check with your ISP.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC Set up as a server problem - Similar Threads - Set server problem

2. Account set-up problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account set-up problem: In setting up my account, I typed my email with a "2" instead of an "@" — that is, jrmfpc2gmail.com instead of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Can you fix that for me or help me do it? Because of this mistake I can't access my account or use Office.Jim McCrea...
  3. set up receive sms online server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set up receive sms online server: Hello good day;i have sim cards and i want to set up sms receive website with sim cards, how can i do this with windos server and what do i need, i leave the link below as an example site Receive sms online and how much will it cost?...
  4. set up receive sms online server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    set up receive sms online server: Hello good day;i have sim cards and i want to set up sms receive website with sim cards, how can i do this with windos server and what do i need, i leave the link below as an example site Receive sms online and how much will it cost?...
  5. Pc set up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pc set up: Hello my name is Austin sparks I just got a gaming pc and I’m trying to get it set up. I’mPretty sure windows has already been installed into it but the big blue screen is popping up saying there is a problem needs to restart I gave it a little time but nothing seems to be...
  6. Setting up a Windows10 Pro PC as a server?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a Windows10 Pro PC as a server?: I currently have a WHS2011 server which has given me many years of excellent, trouble free service. The server has been used as a media server, file server, download server and a backup server but now is only used for PC backups and file server duties. I love how easy it is...
  7. How to Set up self VPN server

How to Set up self VPN server: I've been trying to set up self VPN server on my computer but keep on failing. I keep on getting lot's of error. Is there any clear intrusions to guide me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-up-self-vpn-server/e1a899e7-8571-47c2-8560-6d3432ee0699
  8. Setting up mail problems

Setting up mail problems: How do I transfer my non mainstream email server and received emails from another computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-mail-problems/d0dd7ed3-0be9-42a2-891a-ae79ef33ede8
  9. Setting up a DNS server that forward to OpenDNS?

Setting up a DNS server that forward to OpenDNS?: Hello, In my small office I currently have setup DD-WRT with OpenDNS as a filesharing site blocking method. However, when they take these laptops outside, they connect their own hotspot and unblock all file sharing sites. Is it possible to setup my own DNS server, which...
  10. Problem setting up Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem setting up Cortana: Hey, So I thought I'd give Cortana a try since I can turn it off again if I don't want it, however I get to the point where it makes me login, I enter my email address and password and then it takes me to the next step where it tells me something like you need to enter your...