Windows 10: PC set up with child as administrator by mistake

Discus and support PC set up with child as administrator by mistake in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I set up the first user of our PC with my child's name but my email address. Now he is the administrator and I can't add myself with my own email... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MarmaladeBristol, Jan 6, 2020.

1. PC set up with child as administrator by mistake

I set up the first user of our PC with my child's name but my email address. Now he is the administrator and I can't add myself with my own email address. How can I delete his account or make myself the administrator?

:)

MarmaladeBristol, Jan 6, 2020
  2. RMDEQ Win User

is there any way to add child screen time in family safety where "Something went wrong" message, no bump email from child and administrative access are a problem

• I think you misunderstood the user scenario, or I need to explain it better. I have no problem setting up two accounts to be administrators (ie, parents) of the child account. The issue is that one of the two parents does not have (and should not have)
      administrator rights on the PC.
    • Thanks for the Feedback Hub suggestion.

RMDEQ, Jan 6, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Jan123 Win User

PC set up with child as administrator by mistake

Child Account Get Greyed Out

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did the following instead.

I have another laptop, 2 weeks old, with Windows 10 Home on it.

On that one, I tried the same steps with the child account, and got the exact same results.

Jan123, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

PC set up with child as administrator by mistake

1. PC set up with child as administrator by mistake - Similar Threads - set child administrator

2. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  3. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  4. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Child Account, but they are the administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Child Account, but they are the administrator: Hello, Our two children just received their own laptop computers. We have set up the Microsoft family accounts, however when the laptops are set-up, they are automatically set as the administrators. How do we go about setting up their account but as a "User" on their...
  6. How to set up a child account

How to set up a child account: I'm having trouble setting up a child account on a Windows 10 machine. I'm prompted to add a child, but the system won't accept the account because the email account isn't a Microsoft account, and I don't plan to give him a Microsoft account. So if I select instead the...
  7. Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting up Child accounts on a Laptop: How can I share Apps and software on my children's login on our family laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-child-accounts-on-a-laptop/39cb219c-3b9e-4843-acf6-885725d87f58
  8. Setting up a laptop for a child

Setting up a laptop for a child: Hi there, I have purchased a laptop for my son's birthday and am setting it up before giving it to him. I have got to the stage where I need to log in with Microsoft. Is it best to log in with my account details and then later create an account for him and add him to my...
  9. MS Outlook 2007 set up mistake

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Outlook 2007 set up mistake: I'm hoping there is someone here with experience with MS outlook email. I use Microsoft Office 2007 outlook for my mail and made an error setting up account, when I input out going mail I put "L: [email protected]" instead of "mail.plus.net". When I try to login to my mail I...
  10. Created administrator account by mistake

in Windows 10 Customization
    Created administrator account by mistake: Hi, i have created an administrator account by mistake, and i have tried everything to remove it but i could not. Not from mange account, prompt cmd or anything else. Also from "manage your account under family&other people" I could not see it. it just was not there....