Windows 10: PC shut down while trying to launch dota2 and now won't start

Discus and support PC shut down while trying to launch dota2 and now won't start in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A week ago my PC shut off while trying to play dota 2. Pressing power button did nothing, read thru internet that it might be PSU. I believed it for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mindutis, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Mindutis Win User

PC shut down while trying to launch dota2 and now won't start

A week ago my PC shut off while trying to play dota 2. Pressing power button did nothing, read thru internet that it might be PSU. I believed it for few reasons:
    1. I bought it used one, because didn't had much money when before one fried up of a failure of fan.
    2. I got to barrow different PSU and it worked.
    So not much thought about it i ordered new one. Was using borrowed one till today i got new PSU and it worked perfectly fine, was able to play all my games. So after switching PSU's i turned it on and it worked for a good 6-7hours till i tried to play Dota 2 again and i got straight shut off, now when i press power button all fans move a little bit and done. Tried to put back borrowed psu now it same, tried to remove all components and empty motherboard only with cpu did the same. Read somewhere that it could be CMOS battery so i will try to change that tomorrow and post the result. I know my PC is old but is there anyway to know for sure what went wrong? also my motherboard doesn't have speaker nor led to indicate that it's alive.

:)

Mindutis, Nov 23, 2016

2. Multiple Windows 10 Problems

The following problems just started appearing. I'm configured for automatic Windows 10 updates and I suspect one such update has caused these failures:

1. Start menu doesn't launch.

2. Windows Mail doesn't launch.

3. When I started maintenance under Control Panel, nothing happened.

4. Task Manager won't launch.

5. When I shut down the laptop, I'm told task host (or something) is preventing Windows from shutting down.

6. When I shut down, anyway, either the shutting down screen stays on forever OR when the screen has turned black the laptop won't turn off.

P.S. Chrome works fine.

Would appreciate help from anybody.

Rex RaymondTorrecampo, Nov 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 store

Hi Christopher,

Please try the following:

click start

click the power sign

while holding down the shift button on the keyboard, click shut down

(this will trigger a full shut-down)

start the pc again & check if the issue is resolved.

Erik Moreau, Nov 23, 2016
  4. Mindutis Win User

So after buying new cmos battery it's still the same, anyone knows what could be the problem?
    Edit: Marking as solved, because have no idea what else could be wrong and buying new motherboard is to expensive for me, so i am selling my pc in parts.

Mindutis, Nov 24, 2016
Thema:

1. PC shut down while trying to launch dota2 and now won't start - Similar Threads - shut down while

2. Reset my PC and now my PC won't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset my PC and now my PC won't shut down properly: Hi, so I reset my PC and a couple things seem to have broken. For example my audio jacks no longer work though I've been making do with using bluetooth instead. I've gone on my mobo's website and reinstalled all their drivers. Right now my biggest annoyance is that if I shut...
  3. PC won't shut down!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't shut down!: Dear,It's been a while since i installed windows 11, since then i'm facing weird problems! One of them is that my pc won't turn off and i have tried almost all of sulotions that i've found on internet!So how does it happened?First my wake on lan did not work after installing...
  4. PC won't shut down!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't shut down!: Dear,It's been a while since i installed windows 11, since then i'm facing weird problems! One of them is that my pc won't turn off and i have tried almost all of sulotions that i've found on internet!So how does it happened?First my wake on lan did not work after installing...
  5. PC Shutting down while gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Shutting down while gaming: Hello,2 months ago, I built a PC. I usually use it for gaming[CSGO, MC] and some web stuff. But I'm experiencing a crash problem. My PC just shut down while I play games. In View Reliability History I found 2 things: 1. Windows was not properly shut downThe previous system...
  6. Pc won't shut down (solved)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc won't shut down (solved): My father's pc had this problem that it wouldn't turn off after pressing shut down, it took like 10 minutes to turn off. Today finally i solved the problem. First i performed a clean installation but it still had the problem, so after browsing and trying different metods that...
  7. PC won't shut down or restart.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won't shut down or restart.: Hi all, this is fairly simple to explain, so I'm gonna have 2 categories. 1: The Shutdown Basically, whenever I press on shutdown, or shutdown from my PC button, my Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard lose power, however my PC is still on. 2: The Restart This one is the easiest to...
  8. error while shutting down pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error while shutting down pc: i am getting some program manager still running error whenever i shutdown windows it says force stop and shut down what to do sfc scan has no errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-while-shutting-down-pc/d817418a-9b25-4a74-94c0-53e3f5409e91
  9. PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC won't shut down: Installed Windows 10 on a Lenovo M81 and when clicking on shutdown from the Start menu the screen shuts off but the machine keeps running, I have to manually power off by holding down the button. The OS is on a SSD and I just updated the BIOS. Any suggestions? submitted by...
  10. My PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC won't shut down: When i try to shutdown my pc from windows button the shutting down screen comes but a few seconds later the error screen pops up(the one that has sad face). It gathers some information about the error automatically and then restarts itself. I have to force shut from the...