Windows 10: PC Shutdown script does not work

Discus and support PC Shutdown script does not work in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I was used to run a script "at 20:30 shutdown -s" in Run.exe to shutdown my laptop at specific time in Windows 7, but in W10, it does not work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Element, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Element Win User

PC Shutdown script does not work

Hi,
    I was used to run a script "at 20:30 shutdown -s" in Run.exe to shutdown my laptop at specific time in Windows 7, but in W10, it does not work.

I tried to run this script in cmd.exe as administrator, but it does not work eather, because in W10 is not possible to give AT order.

Is there any solution?

Thank you for your time,

E.

:)

Element, Oct 5, 2015
  2. Kurt[S] Win User

Task Scheduler - Shutdown and stay off during certain hours

I understand how to use Task Scheduler in Windows 10 to shutdown the PC at a certain time. I would like to keep the PC off during certain hours (overnight) - to 'encourage' my son to sleep. It seems like Task Scheduler will only shutdown the PC at, say
    11:00pm, but can't repeat the shutdown if the PC is simply turned on again at 11:05pm.

Is there a way (script?) to have the PC continually check the real time clock and force a shutdown anytime the OS recognizes that time is within a certain
    range?

I'm pretty rusty at script coding, so examples would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Kurt[S], Oct 5, 2015
  3. Creators Update 1703 Sign-in/Login screen Spotlight feature broken

Nope.... doesn't really work that way as I have later discovered, because the shutdown process actually prevent anything else from getting started.

I then found this solution --> Group Policy Shutdown Script. Start you "Local Group Policy Editor" window then add your .ps1 under "Computer Configuration", "Windows Settings", "Script (Startup/Shutdown)", and you gussed it... "Shutdown". Just add your
    .ps1 under the Powershell Scripts tab. Tried and it works.

Sam Seemebreakthis, Oct 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I certainly have at.exe in c:\windows\system32, and in a cmd prompt, at /? works.
    Can you confirm that is true for you?

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    PC Shutdown script does not work [​IMG]

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks Cliff S- I missed the 'deprecated' line- scrolled off the top of the prompt box. (The 'invalid command' relates to using /help rather than /?)

dalchina, Oct 6, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    No problem, I thought the invalid was because I used lower case(too lazy to hold an extra key down*Smile). at instead of AT.

Cliff S, Oct 6, 2015
  8. Element Win User

Thank you so much for reactions!

I get this after giving order at /

- "The Schedule service must be running to use AT command" - I thought this service runs automatically, isn't it? How do I turn it on to run command "at XX:XX shutdown -s"?

So confused of WIN10

*doesn't matter about lower/upper case

Element, Oct 7, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Instead of "AT" you need to run "schtasks" or scheduled tasks

Cliff S, Oct 7, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC Shutdown script does not work - Similar Threads - Shutdown script does

2. WOL does not work in only shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WOL does not work in only shutdown: HelloI have a strange problem, on Windows 10,WOL not working only in shutdown the lan led work fine ,every time I send wol packets from mobile app or win7 from other pc, lan led flashes this means that the packets are sent correctly also "In sleep mode wol works fine".I read...
  3. WOL does not work in only shutdown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WOL does not work in only shutdown: HelloI have a strange problem, on Windows 10,WOL not working only in shutdown the lan led work fine ,every time I send wol packets from mobile app or win7 from other pc, lan led flashes this means that the packets are sent correctly also "In sleep mode wol works fine".I read...
  4. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  5. Win11 - shutdown /p does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 - shutdown /p does not work: Hi There,I've just realized that on Win11 when I perform shutdown /p does not work. On Win10 I used to go to "start" and then type "shutdown /p".In Win11I'm able to see the run command prompting but once I click on it, the computer does not shut down itself.Any advice?Thank...
  6. startup and shutdown scripts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    startup and shutdown scripts: my computer is being deployed to and i cant find help ANYWHERE. need to know if startup scripts can help me??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-and-shutdown-scripts/0a5a1b22-cdd8-4811-9452-08970cfa80e7
  7. Batch script does not work propperly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Batch script does not work propperly: Hello everybody, I've recently created a script which adds compatibility mode via CMD but I have problems getting it to work: REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /v "%CD%\mha2.exe" /t REG_SZ /d "WINXPSP3 256COLOR 640X480" /f...
  8. Powershell Script on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Powershell Script on Shutdown: Hi all, I try to run a Powershell Script (*.ps1) when i shut down my PC. I created the script and it is working fine when i run it. However if i want to run it on a regular Shutdown it seems like it does not start or is not finished, before Windows is killing every running...
  9. Shutdown Script Not Working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown Script Not Working: Hi, Following this article How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically - gHacks Tech News I created the batch script, which works, and added to Shutdown scripts via GPE. But, it does not run at shutdown. I have 2 accounts and 2 drives on the laptop, Local Admin and...
  10. Screwed shutdown script

in Windows 10 Support
    Screwed shutdown script: Oh Boy, well you learn from your mistakes they say*Redface I tried to run a script at shutdown on my W10 PC that would run a RoboCopy command. That did not work so I deleted it (So I thought) I may have deleted the proper shutdown script as my PC will no longer shutdown...