Windows 10: PC shuts down after a second when turned on

Discus and support PC shuts down after a second when turned on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I have a problem w/ my PC. When power on is pressed, the cpu fan/heatsink, psu fan and power led will turn on for a second then turns off. I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DW7EZV, Dec 5, 2018.

1. DW7EZV Win User

PC shuts down after a second when turned on

Hi! I have a problem w/ my PC.

When power on is pressed, the cpu fan/heatsink, psu fan and power led will turn on for a second then turns off.

I try to test my psu. connected to a paper clip to green and black pins then turn it on. the psu fan is spinning and it doesnt turn off, but when i connect it to the mother it turns off immediately.

what should i do? should i replace the psu?

(specs below)

:)

DW7EZV, Dec 5, 2018

2. PC turns on for a split second then shuts off

hrm...so the original symptom is that your PC would turn itself off after a couple of seconds. you reset the bios and now it doesnt shut down, but instead it just sits at the screen as it looks for a network address? try resetting your bios again.

Easy Rhino, Dec 5, 2018
  3. MartynasB Win User
    PC only shuts down on a second try

Hello,

I posted here yesterday asking for help on a similar problem yesterday: GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown - Windows 10 Forums

Basically, what happens now is as follows: When I press shutdown from start menu and the PC screen goes black at the end of it, I can hear components stopping their work, but pretty much all fans keep working (PSU fan, case fans, GPU fans). They work for 20-30 seconds and then I hear a Mobo beep (the same one you hear when you turn on your PC) and the PC boots back like it's nothing. When I reach login screen and shut down again from there, the PC fans again keep spinning after components turn off, but only a few seconds this time. The PC components then turn on and immediately turn off together with the fans.

Sorry for the poor phrasing, English is not my native language and I try my best here.

This complicated double-take shut down process only began after I disabled fast startup in Windows 10 (some guys on various forums suggested that I do that). Before I disabled them, the problem was like the one I linked to in the beginning. The whole problem started after I installed a second HDD. During the installation I also removed the GPU to allow me to fix some cables.

Besides the shut down, the PC seems to be working just fine. No crashes, no BSODs - nothing. Only this strange shut down.

Things I've already tried:
    • Disabling fast startup
    • Removing my second hard drive
    • Changing its SATA plugs
    • Changing SATA cables
    • Changing HDD power connector cables
    • Removing and putting back the GPU
    • Updating chipset driver
    • Shutting down from login menu

MartynasB, Dec 5, 2018
  4. PC shuts down after a second when turned on

PC turns on for a split second then shuts off

When I hit the power button my rig turns on then shuts off less than a second later. All my fans spin then it shuts off then tries to turn on again but does the same thing. Im thinking its my psu but I dont want to jump to anything yet.

ShadowFold, Dec 5, 2018
  5. The issue might also occur due to the Blue Screen of Death errors. You can download BlueScreenViewer and check for any crashes. You can also type minidump in the RUN window and press enter. If it opens any window with a .dmp files in it, then there might be a BSOD issue in the computer. If nothing comes up, the issue might be something different. You can try performing the steps in the safe mode if the computer keeps on crashing in the normal mode. If the System crashes even in the safe mode, it might be the issue related to some hardware damage.

John Brighltin, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

PC shuts down after a second when turned on

1. PC shuts down after a second when turned on - Similar Threads - shuts down second

2. pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep: hello , recently i updated to windows 11 , it ran perfectly for quite some time , but after a while whenever i try to shutdown the computer or try to sleep it , it turns on by itself , i tried everything including updating bios , drivers , registry editor , turning off fast...
  3. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  4. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  5. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. PC turns on after Shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turns on after Shut down: Hello there,to fully explain the situation:My computer turns itself on after pressing a key on my keyboard after I shut it down. I noticed this only occurs when my pc is put to sleep and woken up before I turn it off.I assume it might be a bug connected to the wake up...
  7. PC turns on after Shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turns on after Shut down: Hello there,to fully explain the situation:My computer turns itself on after pressing a key on my keyboard after I shut it down. I noticed this only occurs when my pc is put to sleep and woken up before I turn it off.I assume it might be a bug connected to the wake up...
  8. PC shows me "Shutting Down" and turns off after about 10 seconds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC shows me "Shutting Down" and turns off after about 10 seconds: I was watching a YouTube video and out of nowhere my PC just said "Shutting down" and turned itself off. When I turned it back on, it was starting up, and after a few seconds it said the same thing "Shutting down" I tried it again, this time with my Ethernet cable off, same...
  9. PC shuts down seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down seconds after logging in: It just started happening about 35 minutes prior to posting this. I was burning a dvd and the pc attempted to shut down, but I kept mashing the escape key until the dvd finished burning. I then let it shut down. But upon reboot and login, cmd starts and then pc shuts down...
  10. PC shuts down after turning it on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC shuts down after turning it on: Hello. I have a problem with my pc. I have windows 10 installed, and have formatted and installed windows all over again trying to fix this problem but it didn't do it. When I turn on my pc, the windows logo appears for a few seconds and then the computer shuts off. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer shuts down seconds after it i8s turned on

2. first turn pc it shuts off 2nd time is fine

3. pc shuts down moments after turning on

4. computer shuts off seconds after being turned on,
  5. psu boots on any pc but shuts down fast