Windows 10: PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD

Discus and support PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a few weeks I've been noticing that every time I wake my PC from sleep, it does a full boot. I've been looking into it a lot, and tried a number of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CoreyZonin, Nov 12, 2020.

1. PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD

For a few weeks I've been noticing that every time I wake my PC from sleep, it does a full boot. I've been looking into it a lot, and tried a number of suggestions without any luck:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Powercfg -h off

chkdsk /r /v

I've also tried DDU and a fresh install of the latest Nvidia drivers. I looked into Event Viewer and ended up looking at some .dmp files but still can't figure out what's causing the issue. I've attached an image of what BlueScreenView is showing, and also here's what I'm seeing in WhoCrashed:

On Thu 11/12/2020 9:20:19 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF80654811E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFF957B4B997950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80654811E5E, 0x2
    Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5dcb5bbf5c3edcf2\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 457.30
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 457.30
    Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 457.30 , NVIDIA Corporation.
    Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Thu 11/12/2020 9:20:19 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111220-9218-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF80654811E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFF957B4B997950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80654811E5E, 0x2
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5dcb5bbf5c3edcf2\nvlddmkm.sys
    Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 457.30 , NVIDIA Corporation.

On Thu 11/12/2020 8:58:04 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111220-8703-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF80161D31E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFFC07D6A597950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80161D31E5E, 0x2

On Thu 11/12/2020 8:39:38 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111220-8656-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF80646391E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFF8FFFD919C950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80646391E5E, 0x2

On Thu 11/12/2020 8:25:54 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111220-8562-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF8018A541E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFFC3FB48F97950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8018A541E5E, 0x2

On Thu 11/12/2020 8:06:17 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111220-8578-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys 0xFFFFF8074CF31E5E
    Bugcheck code: 0x50 0xFFFFE3FF10397950, 0x2, 0xFFFFF8074CF31E5E, 0x2

PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD f429fc07-d8b5-4471-817a-cddcb81a5a3b?upload=true.png

:)

CoreyZonin, Nov 12, 2020

2. PC not shutting down or sleeping

Hi Felipe,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding your concern about the shutting down or sleeping in Windows 10. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• What is the last action taken before this issue happens?
    • Any changes made to your hardware?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?
    • Have you also tried
      updating your drivers
      ?

We also found a helpful response from Yashwanth Kotakuri on July 7, 2016 in this

thread
    . This will give you steps that resolve the same issue.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist.

Anthony Gal, Nov 12, 2020
  3. BSOD due to netadaptercx.sys after waking the PC from Sleep

Hi Prakhar,

The steps you suggested did not solve the problem. I am still experiencing the BSOD when waking the computer from sleep. If you have an other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

ChrisBarber2, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Zachary_C Win User

PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD

BSOD on restart and PC shuts down when it's supposed to go to sleep

Hey everyone,

I have lately been having a couple of minor problems on my PC:

1) Whenever I try to restart my PC, I encounter the BSOD "System thread exception not handled." I have looked for help online already, but the suggestions of making sure all my device drivers are up to date and running a system file check haven't fixed the
    problem. The PC does ultimately boot back up normally. I do not have this problem if I choose to shut down the computer.

2) Whenever I tell my PC to sleep, it shuts down instead. In other words, it will go through the motions of going to sleep, but the power LED doesn't flash when it shuts off (it always did before when asleep) and pressing the power button starts the computer
    normally as though it was off (I see the BIOS splash screen and then Windows opens, whereas the PC normally opens immediately on the Windows log in screen when asleep).

Neither of these problems are causing me any other problems yet, but they are irritating. I mainly don't want the problems to get worse since whenever the PC has to restart for an update, it also encounters the BSOD mentioned above and then appears to continue
    the update normally when the computer restarts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zachary_C, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD

1. PC shuts down after sleep, seems to be a BSOD - Similar Threads - shuts down sleep

2. pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep: hello , recently i updated to windows 11 , it ran perfectly for quite some time , but after a while whenever i try to shutdown the computer or try to sleep it , it turns on by itself , i tried everything including updating bios , drivers , registry editor , turning off fast...
  3. pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc keeps turning on after shutting down and sleep: hello , recently i updated to windows 11 , it ran perfectly for quite some time , but after a while whenever i try to shutdown the computer or try to sleep it , it turns on by itself , i tried everything including updating bios , drivers , registry editor , turning off fast...
  4. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pc shuts down after sleep: the pc shuts down when i wake it from sleep mode, that issue happened last months i geuss but i restarted it and it was solved but now it happened again and i need to slove it so i hope someone help me....
  5. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc shuts down after sleep: the pc shuts down when i wake it from sleep mode, that issue happened last months i geuss but i restarted it and it was solved but now it happened again and i need to slove it so i hope someone help me....
  6. pc shuts down after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. "Sleep" is shutting down pc.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Sleep" is shutting down pc.: my pc used to "go to sleep" without any issue. latly ive install my windows on protable ssd drive, and since then "Sleep" is shutting down pc. the option "sleep" is visible but i acutually turning of pc. what does this happen? is it related to the fact the the system is...
  8. PC shutting down after being in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC shutting down after being in sleep mode?: I usually put my computer to sleep once I am done for the night but when I get back up in the morning to turn it on it just boots up from shut down mode instead of sleep mode. How do I fix this? submitted by /u/Not-Cynical [link] [comments]...
  9. PC Shutting Down Instead of Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting Down Instead of Sleep: Lately I've been noticing that most of the time when my PC goes to sleep, it ends up shutting down. Windows and my Nvidia drivers are up to date if that makes a difference, 20H2 and 457.09. Has anyone else started experiencing this or know any way to fix it? Thanks!...
  10. Desktop Shuts Down After Sleep, BSOD on Startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Shuts Down After Sleep, BSOD on Startup: Good Morning, My desktop has recently started to shut down after being put to sleep. It only appears to shut down after several hours of sleep (ie overnight). I checked my power settings and hibernate is set to never. Additionally, upon starting back up, I get a BSOD with...