Windows 10: PC Shuts Down when on battery

Discus and support PC Shuts Down when on battery in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Win 10 Home edition PC shuts down when it is on battery. The shutdown occurs after 30 minutes which is my setting for when the PC should sleep on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Neil13764, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Neil13764 Win User

PC Shuts Down when on battery

My Win 10 Home edition PC shuts down when it is on battery. The shutdown occurs after 30 minutes which is my setting for when the PC should sleep on battery power. Everything works fine while battery power until the 30 minutes of non use has the PC go to sleep.

Any advice on how to fix would be appreciated.

:)

Neil13764, Sep 11, 2020

2. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

PC Shuts Down when on battery pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

PC Shuts Down when on battery pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Sep 11, 2020
  4. PC Shuts Down when on battery

New battery not charging

I suggested uninstall, not re-install.

There's an extended version of those instructions - the same idea, but some additional steps.
    Shut down hte machine
    Remove the battery - run on AC power only
    Device Manager > Batteries
    Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Shut down the machine

Remove AC power
    Wait 1 minte
    Insert Battery
    Connect AC power
    Start the machine

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery should be reinstalled when the machine is booting

But, the .3 volts might be significant - I agree with Kbird

Slartybart, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

PC Shuts Down when on battery

1. PC Shuts Down when on battery - Similar Threads - Shuts Down battery

2. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT When shutting down PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT When shutting down PC: Hi, I have been getting a ton of PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue screens at a variety of times, but mainly when I'm plugging in my Headset or shutting down my PC. Here is the minidump for the error code:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT 4eTypically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists...
  3. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!: The title says it allThe laptop shuts down- with a warning that comes a split second before it shuts down. Honestly, that isn't enough time to turn on the switch. The last time this happened, my HP laptop had more than 40% charging I'm sure and yet!My earlier post regarding...
  4. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!: The title says it allThe laptop shuts down- with a warning that comes a split second before it shuts down. Honestly, that isn't enough time to turn on the switch. The last time this happened, my HP laptop had more than 40% charging I'm sure and yet!My earlier post regarding...
  5. Laptop shuts down even when there's enough battery!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Battery drains when laptop is shut down

Battery drains when laptop is shut down: ASUS Rog Strix III Laptop. Before I start: I have hibernate sleep disabled, Fast start up disabled and I disabled suspended standby I think, but I can't find it anymore. Not sure while MS always moves those things around or renames them. Especially when they cause known...
  7. Network adapter shuts down when PC running with UPS battery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network adapter shuts down when PC running with UPS battery: So every time there is a power outage i lose internet connection right away, even though I have internet access, my modem is on UPS and my PC is also running fine with its own UPS. Other devices have no internet issues is just this PC.My logic tells me the adapter enters in...
  8. Problem when shutting the PC down

Problem when shutting the PC down: Whenever I try to shut down my computer a dialog comes up "Someone else is still using this PC. If you shut down now, they could lose unsaved work." There is a button we can click, "Shut down anyway." Who is that "someone else"? No-one else is using the PC. The dialog comes...
  9. PC shuts down when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC shuts down when gaming: Whenever I try to game, or run a benchmark test, my system shuts off. This problem seems to of started when installing an additional monitor, though thats not a guarentee. I am assuming the Problem is with my PSU however, i have checked, and it should provide sufficient...
  10. Shut down computer when on battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down computer when on battery: Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home. Why? Working in a offshore environment with a...