Windows 10: PC shuts down

Discus and support PC shuts down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Can't remember when this started, but the PC shuts down randomly. Power does not cut off, Windows behaves as if it was told to shut down.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Noob0225, May 19, 2020.

1. Noob0225 Win User

PC shuts down

Hello,

Can't remember when this started, but the PC shuts down randomly. Power does not cut off, Windows behaves as if it was told to shut down. Happens once a month/two mounts.

Don't believe there is a overheating issue. Sleep/hibernate are disabled.

It's a desktop. Win10x64 Pro 1909 18363.778. The PSU is more than enough for the hardware's requirements.

I've noted the time and date and looked in Event Viewer. There are multiple entries at the time when this happened, but I think this is the one (?):

There are a few threads on this topic but no solution:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="User32" Guid="{b0aa8734-56f7-41cc-b2f4-de228e98b946}" EventSourceName="User32" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1074</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-05-18T12:43:50.910592000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>81091</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="680" ThreadID="5996" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-)</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">DESKTOP-</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">No title for this reason could be found</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">0x500ff</Data>
    <Data Name="param5">power off</Data>
    <Data Name="param6" />
    <Data Name="param7">NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

Noob0225, May 19, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, May 19, 2020
  3. PC does not shut down requires forece shut down

Hello,

We really appreciate your patience. Let me give you few more troubleshooting steps which might apply to your situation and ascertain the cause of the issue.

• Try removing all the external peripheral devices including all usb drives except keyboard, mouse and monitor and check.
    • Try to shut down the computer while forcing the running applications and check the results in the subsequent restart. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      shutdown -s -f and press enter.

If it still does not help, try to view the Event IDs in Event Viewer to check for specific events triggering the issue.

To view activities in Windows, I suggest you to open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.

Please write to us with the results.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 19, 2020
  4. PC shuts down

My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, May 19, 2020
Thema:

PC shuts down

1. PC shuts down - Similar Threads - shuts down

2. So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game: So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game. I have a Gigabyte Aorus 15P i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16gb ram. It doesn't shut down mid game but rather after exiting the game while steam is trying to sync. It used to happen with Bioshock 1 and 2 and I just powered through...
  3. So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game: So my laptop shuts down after playing specific game. I have a Gigabyte Aorus 15P i7-11800H, RTX 3070, 16gb ram. It doesn't shut down mid game but rather after exiting the game while steam is trying to sync. It used to happen with Bioshock 1 and 2 and I just powered through...
  4. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...: I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?...
  5. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...: I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?...
  6. Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.: I replaced my laptop battery this week and lately the pc HP 255 G7 NOTEBOOK PC, internal battery just powers off whilst in use. And to power it on it needs to be plugged in. It then shows an error on startup, CMOS failure or something then restarts. After it's on I can unplug...
  7. Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.

Unexpectedly shuts down and shows CMOS 'something' error.: I replaced my laptop battery this week and lately the pc HP 255 G7 NOTEBOOK PC, internal battery just powers off whilst in use. And to power it on it needs to be plugged in. It then shows an error on startup, CMOS failure or something then restarts. After it's on I can unplug...
  8. My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  9. My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

My HP Envy x360 has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...
  10. My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP laptop has trouble turning on whenever it is shut down.: The screen is completely blank, but the power button is on and the caps lock is flashing as well—3 long, 5 short. It usually takes a long pattern of turning it off and turning it on for it to work. The second time this happened, I got an error saying "CMOS checksum is...