Windows 10: PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on

Discus and support PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Win 10 Pro PC has lately been shutting off without warning - screens go black, then the fans kick up for a few seconds and then everything powers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PatrickGSR94, Nov 2, 2019.

1. PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on

My Win 10 Pro PC has lately been shutting off without warning - screens go black, then the fans kick up for a few seconds and then everything powers off. But I can't just hit the power switch to turn it back on. I have to pull the power plug out of the power supply and plug it back in to get it to power back on.

It seems to have been happening mostly on my son's profile, and he plays Minecraft and Roblox all the time. He's constantly downloading shaders, add-ons and various other junk, which I'm wondering is having something to do with this issue. It pretty much never happens on my profile, but today it just did, after it happened 2 or 3 times within half an hour on my son's profile.

*edit* I couldn't find much info in Event Viewer that I could readily recognize as an issue, but I did notice 1,435 Event ID 13's from Source nvlddmkm, all of them happened at exactly 11:31:02 this morning, about 48 minutes before making this post. */edit*

Because of the power cord issue I'm wondering if it's a power supply issue. Back around last Christmas I did a major system upgrade with a new 6-core Ryzen processor, motherboard, nVME SSD, Corsair Vengeance 32 GB RAM and 6 GB GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card. But I kept the same Seasonic M12II 650W power supply that I've had since May 2013. It's basically a new machine other than my data HDD's and power supply.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I do a lot of remote work from home on this machine and can't afford to have it shutting down on me while I'm in the middle of work.

:)

PatrickGSR94, Nov 2, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

battery plugged in not charging

To resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

• Unplug Laptop
    • Remove the Battery
    • Plug in Laptop and turn on the laptop
    • Go to Control Panel - Devices and uninstall all instances of Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery
    • Shut down Laptop and unplug it
    • Insert Battery and plug in the laptop
    • Start the Laptop
    Hopefully this will work for you, please let us know!

DaveM121, Nov 2, 2019
  3. Zack_L-P Win User
    Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Kordi Win User

PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on

Turning on/shutting down issue

Hello,
    I cannot turn on my PC at all until I unplug something, like when I try to turn it on it doesn't work, I unplug the Display port then I turn it on and after it turns on I replug it.
    I also have problems with shutting down, I sit the pc down from Windows and it shows me the "shutting down" thing and then it suddenly shuts off like it's been unplugged from the wall.
    I have my AC, phone, monitor, router and PC.
    And I'm using some extensions and adapters because the wall plug is pretty far.
    By the way I replaced my Mobo CPU, ram and GPU because the previous build had other problems.
    System Builder
    Thanks in advance.

Kordi, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on

1. PC shuts off, have to unplug and plug back in to get it back on - Similar Threads - shuts off unplug

2. PC with a non-working battery becomes slow after it gets unplugged and plugged back in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC with a non-working battery becomes slow after it gets unplugged and plugged back in: My PC’s battery for some reason doesn’t work, and the light on the back flashes rapidly orange.But besides that, when I unplug my pc to bring it somewhere, when I start it up again, everything is slow. It isn’t the internet, it’s the pc’s functions being slow. It happens only...
  3. PC with a non-working battery becomes slow after it gets unplugged and plugged back in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC with a non-working battery becomes slow after it gets unplugged and plugged back in: My PC’s battery for some reason doesn’t work, and the light on the back flashes rapidly orange.But besides that, when I unplug my pc to bring it somewhere, when I start it up again, everything is slow. It isn’t the internet, it’s the pc’s functions being slow. It happens only...
  4. PC with a non-working battery becomes slow after it gets unplugged and plugged back in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB drives are not recognised if unplugged and then plugged back in again - Code 38

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drives are not recognised if unplugged and then plugged back in again - Code 38: Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem I have. It only started happening a few days ago. If I have usb drive and then plug it into my pc, then eject it, but then later on require the use of this again and plug it back into my PC it is then not...
  6. USB drives are not recognised if unplugged and then plugged back in again - Code 38

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives are not recognised if unplugged and then plugged back in again - Code 38: Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem I have. It only started happening a few days ago. If I have usb drive and then plug it into my pc, then eject it, but then later on require the use of this again and plug it back into my PC it is then not...
  7. USB drives are not recognised if unplugged and then plugged back in again - Code 38

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PC turns back on when I shut it off.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC turns back on when I shut it off.: Whenever I turn off my PC in any way it will turn back on after a little bit. I am a hundred and ten percent sure I did not download a virus or download anything whatsoever. This happened after I decided to change both my drives C and D to be dynamic drives and I bet thats...
  9. unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection: I updated my second computer from Win 8.1 to 10 20H2 now, when I unplug my ethernet cable from modem for about 3-5 seconds, the internet won't come back in? Also, the mouse freezes up a lot. I updated the Lan drivers for windows 10 if I restart the computer, everything is...
  10. Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitors, unplug and plug back in, icons shift to 2nd monitor: I am having a rather large issue with Windows 10. For some reason when I plug in my HDMI for my 2nd monitor all of the icons and the taskbar immediately shift to that monitor. This is because I have it set as the "primary" monitor, but I want the taskbar and icons to stay...