Windows 10: PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings

Discus and support PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; All things stop whenever I attempt to open settings directly, or access a specific app settings through right-clicking (such as switching from speakers... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by isturbo1984, Oct 27, 2019.

1. PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings

All things stop whenever I attempt to open settings directly, or access a specific app settings through right-clicking (such as switching from speakers to headphones). Anything I'm doing on the internet stops working, and in most cases, any app I have open, including browsers stops responding. Start menu lags behind in minutes when I click it. Even restarting the PC is a 10-minute process.

It originally started when Windows Security stopped working and I would run into these problems trying to access and update it. I looked into the problem a little bit and saw some people had a similar problem with a Win Security update not downloading and was advised to downloaded an anti-malware program. I downloaded Malwarebytes for malware and McAfee for virus protection while Win Security was mia. Ran multiple scans throughout the week, identified and quarantined a couple of malware on my PC, but no malicious trackers or viruses. But the problem still persists. I am unable to download critical win Security updates or even access anything through settings at this type. What the hell is wrong? How do I download and install those updates? Ii feel like something is blocking me from doing so.

:)

isturbo1984, Oct 27, 2019

2. why does Build 10565 iso slow my PC to a crawl??

build **52 was lightning fast, new build 10565 has slowed my PC to a CRAWL (that even is an exageration)

AndrewSallee, Oct 27, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 27, 2019
  4. PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings

1. PC Slowing to a Crawl Whenever I Try to Open Settings - Similar Threads - Slowing Crawl Whenever

2. Settings keeps crashing whenever I try to open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings keeps crashing whenever I try to open taskbar settings: Whenever I go into taskbar settings, it crashes the settings application. For some reason, everything else works fine. I don't remember when it first happened, but I believe it first happened a few weeks ago. I searched online about the problem, and I tried everything I...
  3. Settings keeps crashing whenever I try to open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings keeps crashing whenever I try to open taskbar settings: Whenever I go into taskbar settings, it crashes the settings application. For some reason, everything else works fine. I don't remember when it first happened, but I believe it first happened a few weeks ago. I searched online about the problem, and I tried everything I...
  4. Settings keeps crashing whenever I try to open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  6. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  7. Slow to a crawl after 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow to a crawl after 20H2: I updated Windows 10 a week ago to 20H2 and I have had a host of problems including: disk usage always at 100%, startup taking 10-15min consistently, web based programs (chrome, discord) take AGES to open, wifi dropping/cutting out. I've seen other people mentioning BSODs but...
  8. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  9. Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl: I've had an issue for a few weeks now where suddenly Windows will slow waaaay down (opening programs, websites refreshing, etc.) I can usually still open task manager and there are no obvious issues (nothing pinned at 100%, no one program that is the apparent culprit). A warm...
  10. Startup slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup slowed to a crawl: Hi Everyone, I haven't been here for quite some time. About a week ago something changed with my Windows 10 startup. Everything seems to begin smoothly until the final blue screen finishes. There was usually a slight pause before the desktop appears but now just before my...