Windows 10: PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine??

Discus and support PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine?? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey Guys, I have a small problem with my new motherboard. I installed all the components and it boots just fine the problem is I have the internal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JLAF5150, May 24, 2017.

1. JLAF5150 Win User

PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine??

Hey Guys,

I have a small problem with my new motherboard. I installed all the components and it boots just fine the problem is I have the internal PC Speaker hooked up but it does not do the initial beep on startup..

The PC boots and works fine I just don't get the initial beep upon startup.. I have checked the port and am using theorrect one JFP1 which is for the Internal speaker..

The new motherboard I have is a MSI Z270 SLI.. I am on Windows 10 64bit Home and it is activated and legal..
    I was wondering what could cause t too not beep when all is working fine??

:)

JLAF5150, May 24, 2017
  2. Kem Mon Win User

external monitor reads no signal from pc was working then stopped

Hi Alfred,

Based on the details you have provided on this thread, there are a lot of factors for this matter. When you start
    up your PC, do you hear any beep indications or a beep sound? The beep sound means that the
    boot process
    with the
    BIOS
    and with the
    Operating System
    is successful. However, if there is no display even if the boot process is successful or not, the issue will be with the hardware itself. We recommend that you contact your
    PC/laptop manufacturer
    for further assistance with this matter.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 24, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Turning off computers internal speakers in Windows 10

What issue are you talking about, exactly? Windows PCs have not had an internal speaker for at least 15 years, and a computer that old wouldn't run Windows 10. (Not successfully, at least.) The only 'speaker' in a Windows PC - and it's not really a speaker
    - is the motherboard component that sometimes beeps when you start your computer.

However, for the last several years PC monitors often have built-in speakers. They don't sound so good but for voices they're okay. When you start your computer, if your external speakers or headphone aren't receiving sound signals, for some reason, the
    sound will often be channeled to the HDMI (or similar) cable to your monitor's speakers. Is that what you could be hearing?

BulldogXX, May 24, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Not all computers have the beep. When things don't always work fine and I get beeps is when I worry. I have seen some of those internal speakers get plugged in backwards and some that did not have sufficient volume to be noticeable. I usually test the speaker by removing the RAM modules, always causes beeps if everything else is okay.

Berton, May 24, 2017
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    As Berton mentioned, the Speaker plug is one that must have the correct +/- orientation. Common error.
    Try turning it 180 degrees and test.

6. JLAF5150 Win User
    Well I tried the plug both ways, I do not get an initial One beep upon bootup.. I will try it with the memory sticks out to see if maybe the PC SPeaker is broke..
    '
    thnx..

JLAF5150, May 26, 2017
  7. bobkn Win User
    These are the pinouts for the front panel header on your motherboard:
    PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine?? [​IMG]

Stupid question: do you have it plugged in correctly? If it is all the way to the end of the header block, that's incorrect. Need to be back 1 pin (so the ends of the 4 pin connector are at +5v and Speaker).

I'm not sure that the speaker is polarized. Front panel LEDs, sure.

bobkn, May 26, 2017
  8. PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine??

A PC speaker has no polarity, it doesn't matter which way you plug it in. Piezo buzzer is the same deal as far as I know. I have one right here in front of me and there are no polarity markings on it. Both leads are that same length too. Your stereo speakers may have a + and - on them but that's just to get them in phase. Nothing bad happens if you reverse it. They still work.
    Front panel LED's are polarized and won't work if you get them reversed. The switches aren't though.

Why you don't hear a beep, I don't know? Either the speaker is defective, or connected to the wrong pins. Off by one pin left or right maybe? Other than that check the various BIOS settings.

alphanumeric, May 26, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I always believed that too Alpha. Until I got this new Asus board, which came without a speaker. I got a piezo out and plugged it in - nada. Figured, what the hey, turned it around and BEEP.

I recall I tried a "real" PC speaker in one of my modern boards and it did not work, but a piezo speaker did. I suspect that modern boards don't put out enough power to drive a "cloth and magnet" speaker.

10. A "cloth and magnet" speaker has no polarity. It's normally driver by an AC signal, not DC. The piezo is more suited to a DC (digital) signal. There are piezo buzzers, and piezo elements. Piezo elements can produce sound and be used as a transducer. The buzzer can't, it will only produce sound. I see that this one has a polarity indicator, Buzzer 5V - Breadboard friendly, but this one doesn't, Piezo Buzzer. I have the second one here on my desk in front of me. If the ones with a polarity indicator have a DIOD inside that would explain why they don't work when plugged in backwards. I've been out of the loop for a while now so my electronics knowledge gets a bit rusty some times.

In the early days of PC's the motherboard would actually send an audio signal to the "PC speaker". It was a real speaker. Nowadays a lot of the time, all it sends is a beep, (pulse) via a digital signal (square wave). Piezo buzzers are smaller and cheaper than a regular speaker, so guess which one they use? *Wink

EDIT: Looking at the description for the one I have it says " Piezo buzzers are used for making beeps, tones and alerts. This one is petite but loud! Drive it with 3-30V peak-to-peak square wave. To use, connect one pin to ground (either one) and the other pin to a square wave out from a timer or microcontroller. For the loudest tones, stay around 4 KHz, but works quite well from 2KHz to 10KHz. For extra loudness, you can connect both pins to a microcontroller and swap which pin is high or low ('differential drive') for double the volume.

11. Berton Win User
    It does appear that polarity is important. The posted diagram by bobkn at #5 does show + and - for the speaker plug. Looking at the manual for my Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-UD2H and GA-770T-USB3 boards also shows the polarity for the speaker in the same manner as bobkn's diagram. If a device has been built correctly the red wire is + and the black wire is -. Control/sensor wires such as on fans will be another color such as yellow or white.

Berton, May 26, 2017
  12. If what your plugging into the speaker header has a RED and Black Wire, connect the RED to the PIN ladled +5V and the black to the one labeled GRD. I still don't think it matters, but I don't have an actual PC speaker/buzzer here to look at. The piezo buzzer I have is for plugging into a solderless bread board or soldering to a circuit board. It's ambidextrous *Tongue Wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong though.
    The original PC speakers (real speaker not buzzer) had Red and Black wires on them too, it didn't matter which way you plugged them in though, they still worked. The colored wires were just there so people wouldn't ask which way do I plug them in. *Smile

Anyway, the quick way to sort it out, since its not working now, is to just reverse the plug. If it then works discussion over, I got it wrong. If it still doesn't work its either a dead buzzer, of something not right with the motherboard.

13. PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine??

Some things are polarity important, fans , LED indicators, etc. Some aren't, power and reset button for instance. You'll notice though, that they still show a ground for those and the cables usually have a red and black wire. IMHO, more for conventions sake, and to make it easier for the non tech savvy to connect it all up.

14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Yep. We need the OP to try this first.

Thema:

1. PC SPeaker Not Beeping but PC boots fine?? - Similar Threads - SPeaker Beeping boots

2. Pc beeping problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc beeping problem: I recently bought a Pc which was already built and it makes a beeping noise every so often. I’m not sure I should do as I am just updating ev https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-beeping-problem/7b36d4c0-28e6-4a36-9283-7e9940950924
  3. Pc beeping problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc beeping problem: I recently bought a Pc which was already built and it makes a beeping noise every so often. I’m not sure I should do as I am just updating ev https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-beeping-problem/7b36d4c0-28e6-4a36-9283-7e9940950924
  4. PC Freezes, Then Beeps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Freezes, Then Beeps: Hey, I have been meaning to ask this for awhile. My Windows 10 is less then five years old and sometimes, when it freezes, it will make a quick beeping noise. It has done this since I got it and has not been a problem. This morning it froze and it beeped, I believe. 5 times....
  5. PC Freezes, Then Beeps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezes, Then Beeps: Hey, I have been meaning to ask this for awhile. My Windows 10 is less then five years old and sometimes, when it freezes, it will make a quick beeping noise. It has done this since I got it and has not been a problem. This morning it froze and it beeped, I believe. 5 times....
  6. PC Freezes, Then Beeps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC beeping and no display.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC beeping and no display.: My PC old, keeps beeping and the monitor doesn't display anything when I turn it on. It's just endless beeps right when i try to open it. all the fans are functioning properly as well so I cant find the direct problem....
  8. Pc beeps 3 times

Pc beeps 3 times: Hi so my pc beeps 3 times when a game is launching and it never did this until today https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-beeps-3-times/58221ed2-46a7-435b-81cb-1fde15a54eb9
  9. Pc boots - black screen - 2 beeps

in Windows 10 Support
    Pc boots - black screen - 2 beeps: My PC was rebooting Modem & Router when it was accidentally turned off. Boots to black screen with two fast beeps & continued to beep twice every 2 min. MS-7696 Motherboard. 2 beeps = parity problem. 117310
  10. PC Boots - 2 Beeps - Black Screen

PC Boots - 2 Beeps - Black Screen: My PC was rebooting Modem & Router when it was accidentally turned off. Boots to black screen with two fast beeps & continued to beep twice every 2 min. MS-7696 Motherboard. 2 beeps = parity problem. 117303