Windows 10: PC starts but screen always stays Black

Discus and support PC starts but screen always stays Black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to find out why my new PC always starts with a black screen for about 40 to 50 seconds before starting at the Welcome/sign-in screen. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cgibson, Jan 23, 2018.

1. cgibson Win User

PC starts but screen always stays Black

I was trying to find out why my new PC always starts with a black screen for about 40 to 50 seconds before starting at the Welcome/sign-in screen. I was testing if the same thing would happen if I tried starting in safe mode. I went to "run/msconif/boot tab and checked start in safe mode. I rebooted and the PC restarted but the black screen never goes away Tried using power button to stop & restarting but black screen stays. It is now over 1 hour with PC on with black screen.

Need help please.

Thanks

:)

cgibson, Jan 23, 2018
  2. koblajzek Win User

Lumia 550

Quite accidentally, but uncomfortably often it happens that when you return to the Start screen stays black with the text "restored" and only helps restart. Someone always what stim. Thanks

koblajzek, Jan 23, 2018
  3. Lumia vibrates, but screen stays black

Hello,

I bought last year a lumia 800 (cyan). Everything was fine. Unfortunatly my phone felt down on the 31st of december. It seemed like the display cracked because the phone itself was still working but half of the touch of the screen didnt work and the screen
    started to get "discloured", but everything else still worked. Within 1 day the screen was black and not usuable...so I could not use the phone for the last 4 months.

Last week I bought a new screen and replaced the display... but it still doesnt work. The screen is still black but what happens is that the phone sometimes vibrates when I connect it to the computer/charger. I have tried all resets, even a dead-flash (didnt
    work).

My question: Do you think that this issue is related to a batteryproblem, because I havent charged the phone for 4 months? Or could it be a board-problem?

Thanks a lot!

Many regards

kielberlin, Jan 23, 2018
  4. PC starts but screen always stays Black

According to your system specs, you definitely have a nice new PC with more than 1 HDD
    "1 tb WDC on board 2 tb USB Seagate 3 tb USB Seagate 5 tb USB Seagate"
    Consider booting up with only the "1 tb WDC on board" HDD.

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 23, 2018
  5. cgibson Win User
  6. OK try this. Use the power button to completely shut the computer down. Wait about 20 seconds. Start the computer back up.
    Use the power button a second time to completely shut the computer down. Start the computer back up.
    Windows 10 is supposed to boot up into Advanced Startup Options after two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion.
    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    I've seen it take 3 or 4 times also probably because my timing was off.

I think the first thing I would try is get into the command prompt with administrator and run sfc /scannow, see what it reports and whether or not it repairs anything
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...indows-7-vista

There are other options available but I would try the above first

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 24, 2018
  7. hiphopper Win User
    I'm confused, does the screen stay black for 40-50 seconds before you get the Win Login Screen, or does it just stay black?

If it is always black, does it even show the POST screen before going black, or is it black always and you never see POST or Windows login?

hiphopper, Jan 24, 2018
  8. PC starts but screen always stays Black

When you go to "run/msconif/boot tab" in order to get into Safe Mode you need to also check minimal or Network. Without checking either one it can become difficult to get back to Normal mode. I use to have command prompts to address either choice but I don't know if I still have them. If you cannot get back into Normal mode when it's time to do so, please let us know.
    --- There are also other options in addition to minimal or Network but I don't know how they work.

9. I believe the 40-50 seconds applied in Normal mode.
    When going into Safe Mode is when the screen stayed black.
    --- I suspect if Safe Mode minimal or Safe Mode Network would have been selected, the result in either choice would have been the same issue or no issue (I'd like to believe no issue).

@cgibson But that cannot be determined until it's possible to get back to Normal mode and then getting back to Safe Mode (I prefer minimal selection at this time) if it's a good idea to find out.

10. cgibson Win User
    I went into Safe Mode with network checked. Yes, I was saying that the 40 or seconds of black screen was the "normal" for this PC since I first started little over a week ago.

cgibson, Jan 24, 2018
  11. wert Win User
    Do you have a Windows 10 "repair disk" or "recovery drive" or can you get one? If so, you can boot from there to get to the command prompt.

12. Thank you. To me that means the screen stays black. Get into Advanced Startup options per post #4: I don't recall if you can get into your UEFI settings from there but if you can see if you can disable Fast Boot and Secure Boot. Shut down or preferably restart if you can.
    --- Another option is to do a system restore prior to over a week ago: can you do that?
    --- Please remind me: do you have a system image backup?

EDIT: From what I understand You can also turn off fast startup by typing powercfg.exe /hibernate off at the command prompt. It won't hurt to try.

13. cgibson Win User

MeAndMyComputer - It seem I have an internal power problem. Was checking for loose connections on back panel and saw & didn't hear the fan or anything else coming from the PC. The only thing that seems to work is the front panel power button. It lights up when pushed and go out when held for a few seconds.

Maybe a power supply not connected.

cgibson, Jan 24, 2018
  14. Do you have access to another computer. If so I would suggest that you create this recovery disk and boot from it.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Not sure about this device but I think on HP's F9 presents boot menu.

I very much doubt this is a power issue. Your machine was running fine, yes there was a delay, but this activity started when you changed the boot options.

Could you please confirm, since you change the boot option to safe mode you have not been able to boot normally?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 24, 2018
  15. cgibson Win User
    Caledon Ken - I tried 2 bootable cd's, one a iso of Win 10 and a Reflect rescue disk. - Nothing.

With no power to fans, or anything else (except the front power button) I don/t see how I can get anything to work.

cgibson, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

1. PC starts but screen always stays Black - Similar Threads - starts screen always

2. Pc freezes, then screen goes black but pc stays on while gaming and upon starting up gets...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc freezes, then screen goes black but pc stays on while gaming and upon starting up gets...: My pc is new, it’s about 3 and half months old. I started having this problem at the beginning of September of this year. Whenever I run a game that has high graphics ex. fortnite, persona 5, my computer does what I explained in the title. There are different variations of...
  3. Pc freezes, then screen goes black but pc stays on while gaming and upon starting up gets...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc freezes, then screen goes black but pc stays on while gaming and upon starting up gets...: My pc is new, it’s about 3 and half months old. I started having this problem at the beginning of September of this year. Whenever I run a game that has high graphics ex. fortnite, persona 5, my computer does what I explained in the title. There are different variations of...
  4. PC black screen flickering and staying black sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC black screen flickering and staying black sometimes: questions for friends pc his screen keeps flickering black and sometimes stay black while gaming and staying idle he has 16gb ram updated drivers sometimes would stop for a little if hertz were changed lower has 165hz monitor...
  5. PC black screen flickering and staying black sometimes

PC black screen flickering and staying black sometimes: questions for friends pc his screen keeps flickering black and sometimes stay black while gaming and staying idle he has 16gb ram updated drivers sometimes would stop for a little if hertz were changed lower has 165hz monitor...
  6. PC black screen flickering and staying black sometimes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. PC Unable to start with Black screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Unable to start with Black screen: A few days back I had encountered a problem while I tried to open my user profile using my pin code on windows 10..and somehow it failed and took me to this automatic repair loop ..and no matter what I try I can't access my computer..it doesn't start even in safe mode it...
  8. always black screen.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    always black screen.: i can not pass a black screen or any usb driver to update or access to my computer. Lenovo edge 2 with window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/always-black-screen/22195e22-0fbf-4437-b692-f4410496b107
  9. QTTabBar 1040 command bar stays always black

QTTabBar 1040 command bar stays always black: Hi, i'm using still QTTabBar 1040 with latest Win10 pro in dark mode. I'm trying to set a custom background color of the command bar (where the symbols are sitting) but it doesn't changed. Stays always black. Tried mostly everything in QTTabBar settings (appearance,...
  10. black screen after starting pc

in Windows 10 Support
    black screen after starting pc: Hi, when I start my pc the computer brand comes up and then it all goes black. I can see a mouse cursor but only that. I can't enter boot manager either. 75372