Windows 10: PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

Discus and support PC Starts but will not boot into Windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have an ASUS PC about three years old, when I turn it on the everything sounds normal, fans etc running, the white on black boot messages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by daniellouwrens, Nov 19, 2016.

1. PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

Hi

I have an ASUS PC about three years old, when I turn it on the everything sounds normal,
    fans etc running, the white on black boot messages come on, then the meassage "Press DEL to enter setup"
    shows but nothing firther happens, pressing DEL or Delete does nothing.

I have tried booting to a bootable DVD (Windows 10 Install disk) but still just get to the "Press DEL to enter setup"
    screen. The BIOS was set to boot to the DVD Drive first.

I have tried booting into safe mode using F8 but that does not change a thing, I just cannot get past the
    "Press DEL to enter setup" screen.

There are no attachments such as USB drives or printers, scanners etc.

Any ideas on what I can try.

Thanks

Daniel

:)

daniellouwrens, Nov 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 will not boot into PC via SATA hd but with Printer multimedia card when the Printer is connected on Windows 10.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the above query. We are glad to know your issue is resolved.

The BIOS settings will sometimes change if the operating system is upgraded from one version to another. This may happen due to the conflicting or non-updated hardware and OS components. After upgrading the OS, updating the BIOS along with the hardware
    components will keep the PC updated and enhanced.

Write to us for assistance regarding any Windows related issue, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Windows 10 will not boot into PC via SATA hd but with Printer multimedia card when the Printer is connected on Windows 10.

Hi there,

I have been able to resolve the issue by finding the relevant settings in the BIOS.

The question remains though, why did the BIOS setting change anyway? Is there any circumstance in which Windows would do this?

The virus scan didn't turn up any issues either.

Thanks for your help.

amimmortal, Nov 19, 2016
  4. PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

daniellouwrens,

Do you feel comfortable opening up the box, disconnecting all the HDD cables, and connecting them again?
    It's just a starting point, but it might help. While you are inside, also check all other cables to make sure they are OK.

cottonball, Nov 20, 2016
  5. Hi

I disconnected then reconnected all cables, I have two hard drives and noticed that the boot screen shows only one, then goes to the "Press DEL to enter setup" as before then goes no further, I disconnected one drive and on boot the screen showed "Can't find any device" then continued to boot into Windows.

Connecting just the other drive showed "Can't find any device" but did not boot into Windows, (there is no OS on this drive so not suprising).

Connecting both drives goes back to the original problem and connecting just the first drive show"Can't find any device" but did not boot into Windows again.

I cannot understand why this is happening, the device shoing on boot is the first drive after the DVD to load but if both drives are connected than nothing loads.

Hope you can see what I am saying.

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Nov 20, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    The drive that when disconnected, allows you to boot to Windows, has failed.
    Unplug the SATA cable from the Motherboard for that drive as well as it's power plug. If you still get the "Can't find any device" message With that drive disconnected, Press Del at bootup to enter Setup (Bios) Look for the SATA port that drive is plugged into and Disable it. Move the other drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit
    Pull the drive out of the computer, attach the power plug only and power the computer up, placing the drive to your ear, does it spin up? If not, it has failed and needs to be replaced.

spunk, Nov 20, 2016
  7. Hi given that the disconnected drive that allows a Windows boot has failed, I have disconnected that drive
    and it's power cable. and I get a Cant find device, the boot drive is the first device after DVD. so I'm not sure what to do,
    the disconnected device does not show in the BIOS, as far as I can see.

Cheers

Daniel

8. PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

Hi

The bad drive is disconnected and does not show in the Bios, the boot still shows "Can't find any device" but does boot into
    windows.

With the bad drive connected it does not go past the 2nd "Press DEL to enter setup" screen and will not proceed to either the DVD or windows.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Daniel

9. spunk Win User
    Follow the instructions in the quote above.

spunk, Nov 21, 2016
  10. Hi, I have been away for two weeks and have just got back to this.

My problem is that I do not understand the advice, having disconnected the "bad drive" I get the
    "Can't find any device" I press DEL and get into the bios, if I disable the drive (which is the boot drive) there is no other drive
    to make the First Boot Device.

Just to clarify the situation.

With both drives connected the PC will not go past the DEL instruction and will not go to BIOS Setup nor will it boot to the DVD
    With only the "Bad" drive connected the same happens
    With only the Boot Drive connected I get the "Can't find any device" the the PC boots to Windows or I can press Del and get into the BIOS Setup.

Hope you get what I mean and can clarify what I should do.

Regards

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 6, 2016
  11. wyldman68 Win User
    You have to have an OS system on the drive to Boot. So you need o reinstall Windows to boot.

wyldman68, Dec 6, 2016
  12. Hi

Windows is installed on the drive, see above "PC boots to Windows"

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 6, 2016
  13. bobkn Win User

PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

I'm a little hazy on what you have.

If I read correctly, you can boot into Windows with the bad HD disconnected.

I'm not sure why you are getting a "can't find any device" message, unless the bad drive is still remembered in the BIOS setup.

At a guess, the "bad" drive really is bad. So bad that it may not be easy to recover data from it. I'd try putting in in an external USB adapter, although I doubt that will help. I have read of people swapping the drive controller electronics board from an identical drive, but I have never tried that myself.

Best of luck.

bobkn, Dec 7, 2016
  14. Hi

I have all my data backed up so that is not a concern, but getting my PC to boot with both hard drives is a necessary.

I do not want to attach another USB external drive .

So, I can boot with only the OS drive connected but not if the other drive is connected.
    By 'connected" I mean internally with SATA cables to the Motherboard.

Today I removed the second drive, attached it to a USB external enclosure and the PC would not boot
    but if I attach it after the PC has booted into Windows it works fine and passes all Seatools tests as does the Boot hard drive.

I am totally lost and look for any advice.

Regards

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Dec 7, 2016
  15. daniellouwrens,

In Device Manager, under Storage Controllers are there any unknown devices or flags?

Could you be overloading the power supply of the computer?

Are you able to install the drive without Windows in another computer and check what happens?

cottonball, Dec 7, 2016
Thema:

PC Starts but will not boot into Windows

1. PC Starts but will not boot into Windows - Similar Threads - Starts boot

2. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.: Hello,I want to update my Windows from 10 to 11. so I ran PC health checkup which detected that secure boot is not enabled on my windows. So in BIOS setting I changed boot from legacy to UEFI and enabled the secure boot but my windows is not starting after this. What should I...
  3. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.: Hello,I want to update my Windows from 10 to 11. so I ran PC health checkup which detected that secure boot is not enabled on my windows. So in BIOS setting I changed boot from legacy to UEFI and enabled the secure boot but my windows is not starting after this. What should I...
  4. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I'm running Windows 10. When I start the desktop, in addition to"Boot Device Not Found,"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm running Windows 10. When I start the desktop, in addition to"Boot Device Not Found,"...: When I attempt to perform hardware diagnostic, that's when "No Hardware Drive" appears. The only hard drive installed is internal. Attempts to Reset Computer and reinstall Windows also fail. The desktop is HP....
  6. I'm running Windows 10. When I start the desktop, in addition to"Boot Device Not Found,"...

I'm running Windows 10. When I start the desktop, in addition to"Boot Device Not Found,"...: When I attempt to perform hardware diagnostic, that's when "No Hardware Drive" appears. The only hard drive installed is internal. Attempts to Reset Computer and reinstall Windows also fail. The desktop is HP....
  7. I'm running Windows 10. When I start the desktop, in addition to"Boot Device Not Found,"...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Power supply died . I replaced it and cmos battery starts to boot shoes the windows symbol...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power supply died . I replaced it and cmos battery starts to boot shoes the windows symbol...: Why won't my computer boot it gets to the windows symbol then it just goes to dark screen and never finishes booting. I did replace cmos battery it us 22h2...
  9. Power supply died . I replaced it and cmos battery starts to boot shoes the windows symbol...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply died . I replaced it and cmos battery starts to boot shoes the windows symbol...: Why won't my computer boot it gets to the windows symbol then it just goes to dark screen and never finishes booting. I did replace cmos battery it us 22h2...
  10. Power supply died . I replaced it and cmos battery starts to boot shoes the windows symbol...