Windows 10: PC still on and running but black screens randomly

Discus and support PC still on and running but black screens randomly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Okay so this has been happening after my PC updated a couple days ago and i cant figure out why. So my PC randomly black screens with my PC still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/peds1, Sep 7, 2020.

1. /u/peds1 Win User

PC still on and running but black screens randomly

Okay so this has been happening after my PC updated a couple days ago and i cant figure out why. So my PC randomly black screens with my PC still running but becomes completely unresponsive. Power button doesn't work and neither does the keyboard or mouse, the only way i can get back on i have to switch off the power supply and reset. I updated everything but nothing seems to work.

I thought i might have been a heat problem with my CPU idling at around 50C but after running some games and looking at temps, it didn't go past 80 so I don't think its a heat problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/peds1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/peds1, Sep 7, 2020
  2. Nova Win User

New laptop hardlock with black screen

I have a new notebook, running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which is randomly freezing, showing a black screen. System specs:

• intel core i5
    • HD is an SDD, 250GB
    • GPU: Intel HD graphics 620
    Symptoms:

• happens randomly, related to no particular reason, time of the day, and programs running
    • when freezes, the notebook screen is "active" (back light is on) but completely black; external monitor, connected via HDMI, is black as well
    • when freezes, no key input is responding. I tried to press "CAPS Lock", which has a led on it, and the led is not toggling
    • I noticed I can keep the PC on for several days, without any problem. It always freezes whenever I'm actively using it
    What I already tried:

• reinstall Windows from scratch (even starting from an external USB drive)
    • run windows in "clean boot" mode (all non-MS services disabled, all startup programs disabled)
    • update the BIOS, and all "relevant" drivers (GPU, System Firmware, network interface, bluetooth, ...) of the PC to the latest version
    • testing the memory with MemTest86+: no issues, after several steps
    • stressing the GPU with FurMark: reached quite an high temperature (70°), but no issues
    • stressing the CPU with IntelBurnTest: reached quite an high temperature (70°), but no issues
    Now, I would guess it's an hardware problem, but the strange thing is that we ordered 6 identical PCs, and this is happening on 4 of them. Therefore, for "statistical" reasons, we don't think it could be possible that all of them shows an HW issue... It only happens with a different rate from one PC to another (for instance, happens daily on my PC, and once a week on another)
    Any idea on how to investigate this issue further?
    Any test / improvement I can do?

Nova, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Computer randomly has black screen and restarts

Taco this could be software also. Before you get all crazy, do as Erocker suggested. Find out the error in the Event Viewer. Look for the faulting module and the error code itself. Also check the reliability monitor. At the bottom it will have "View all Error Reports". Post a screen of whats in there if anything.

This could be a simple as a bad driver install.

ALSO have you downloaded or installed anything lately? STAY OUT OF THE DAMN BIOS UNTIL WE KNOW THE ERROR! lol. I know you. Baby steps boy, baby steps.

TheMailMan78, Sep 7, 2020
  4. PC still on and running but black screens randomly

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

PC still on and running but black screens randomly

1. PC still on and running but black screens randomly - Similar Threads - still running black

2. PC randomly has black screens but computer still on and fans running extremely fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC randomly has black screens but computer still on and fans running extremely fast: For a while, and more frequently recently, I have had this issue with my PC running windows 10 where the screens suddenly turn black but the computer is still running flashing lights and the fans run very loudly. From what I can tell this is not associated with GPU temp which...
  3. PC randomly has black screens but computer still on and fans running extremely fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC randomly has black screens but computer still on and fans running extremely fast: For a while, and more frequently recently, I have had this issue with my PC running windows 10 where the screens suddenly turn black but the computer is still running flashing lights and the fans run very loudly. From what I can tell this is not associated with GPU temp which...
  4. PC randomly has black screens but computer still on and fans running extremely fast

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Screen goes black but still running

Screen goes black but still running: So I made a mistake. I wanted to delete the key licenses to my Adobe account because my new apps kept signing in automatically to the old key license, which I have stopped paying the bills for. I mistakenly deleted the CLSID folder, instead of supposedly just certain files...
  6. Screen goes black but PC still running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black but PC still running.: i have an issue, My Computer just random starts getting blackscreens but is still running, it happens in all cases. While i do nothing, While playing a Game, While watching youtube ect. No overheating problem and CPU or GPU are never close to 100%, same with RAM. Problem is...
  7. Screen goes black but PC still running.

Screen goes black but PC still running.: i have an issue, My Computer just random starts getting blackscreens but is still running, it happens in all cases. While i do nothing, While playing a Game, While watching youtube ect. No overheating problem and CPU or GPU are never close to 100%, same with RAM. Problem is...
  8. Screen goes black but PC still running.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Black screen but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  10. Black screen but still running

Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...