Windows 10: PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

Discus and support PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello All, since the last update my HP Envy laptop will charge fine when switched off then without moving it I switch it on and it stops charging. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve_f777, Nov 7, 2019.

1. PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

Hello All, since the last update my HP Envy laptop will charge fine when switched off then without moving it I switch it on and it stops charging. I have tried all the self help online like:

Three other charger cables.

Uninstalling battery drivers.

Changing power plan settings.

Also when I remove the battery and with the power cable plugged in it will not start.

Does anybody know of a fix as I can only use the laptop until the battery is discharged?

Any help much appreciated.

:)

Steve_f777, Nov 7, 2019

2. will not switch on or take the charge.

was switching on my wifi and then it went all funny so a tried to switch it off but it just went all black. so now its not switching on even if u put it on the charge it doesn't start up or doing nothing. just dead.

stevebeattie, Nov 7, 2019
  3. clayto Win User
    Battery charging advice

When the battery is fully charged is it necessary to switch the AC charge off? I have had contradictory advice on this, and now due to a charging / battery issue with my 2-in-1 Tablet PC I need to know. If I do turn AC off I usually (not always) find I cannot switch charging back on. For charging to restart I have to Shutdown. Restarting the PC does not cause charging to start again. It can be that at the point charging is required, it is at the least inconvenient to Shutdown. If I have to, so be it, but it would be better if I can leave AC switched on. What usually happens then is when the charge drops to some point around 70% to 80% it starts charging again, automatically.

A related question, is it normal not to be able to run the PC from the AC when the battery charge has fallen to 0%? Or maybe this can be done if the battery is removed, but if so it is not of use to me as my Tablet PC, in common with others, is not easy to open

clayto, Nov 7, 2019
  4. andyp3001 Win User

PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

Notebook battery not charging when switched on

Hi all,
    I bought a notebook three weeks ago for my wife, specifically a HP 14-an009a. It had Windows 10 pre-installed. It worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, but an issue has cropped up with the battery. When it is turned on and connected to the charger, the battery icon will say "37% available, plugged in, not charging". The actual percentage does vary, depending on use. I have tried all the various fixes (e.g. "Uninstall/reinstall Microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" in the device manager and battery out/in, run off AC only then plug battery back in, etc), amongst others, but to no avail. The notebook will charge perfectly when it is switched off, however, with the little orange light on the side illuminating. It will turn white,however, when the machine is turned on (but not charging with the AC connected). Obviously, there have been several updates (including the big "anniversary one) since the purchase. Does anyone have any ideas how to rectify this? The battery is OK, and the charger works fine. There is no HP power control software/bloatware on the notebook either which could be causing this. I have changed power plans, and everything that I know of! I can only assume that the battery control driver (after an update) is overriding the charging when the notebook is turned on. Does anyone else have this issue? Please help.

andyp3001, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

1. PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off. - Similar Threads - stops charging switched

2. Week charging state error, charging is fine, get the error when adapter is not plugged in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Week charging state error, charging is fine, get the error when adapter is not plugged in...: I get the following error message:Week charging state, please check power charger.Laptop is Asus Vivobook M7600R. Power charger is fine, My Asus and UEFI charger test show everything is normal.The laptop charges from 10% to 100% in about an hour.Charger an battery are fine....
  3. Lagging when charging and not charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lagging when charging and not charging: I have a windows 11 HP laptop. I also usually play games like GTA 5 or etc. I usually have 60-70 fps which is fine. The issue starts when I start to plug my charger. It lags like hell down to literal 1fps. Then when I unplug it, it goes back to 60-70 fps but after a few mins...
  4. Lagging when charging and not charging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lagging when charging and not charging: I have a windows 11 HP laptop. I also usually play games like GTA 5 or etc. I usually have 60-70 fps which is fine. The issue starts when I start to plug my charger. It lags like hell down to literal 1fps. Then when I unplug it, it goes back to 60-70 fps but after a few mins...
  5. Desktop switches on/off while charging?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop switches on/off while charging?: While plugged in, and idle, the display on its own goes dark and then switches back on. Why is this happening, How do I fix this?Here's what I've tried so far:1 Reinstalled graphic drivers2 Ran DISM.exe- restorehealth3 Updated to the latest windows 10 v 21H1....
  6. Battery charging status constantly switches between on and off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery charging status constantly switches between on and off: Hello My Dell G3 3579 laptop battery status keeps jumping between charging and not charging. I've tried several things and I'm pretty that the problem isn't my charging cable. I purchased a new battery which didn't solve it. I've ran multiple troubleshooters and reset a few...
  7. Laptop switching between charging and not charging when use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop switching between charging and not charging when use.: I tried severals "solutions" but none worked. Even I reinstalled Windows from scratch, and latest updates aplied. When using Windows, nothing heavy, open explorer or -even ligther- open the windows menú: laptop switch between charging and not charging every second, while...
  8. Battery is switching between charging and not charging.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery is switching between charging and not charging.: title explains it all. i have been getting this problem for a while now. And recently it also shows plugged in not charging. i dunno if this will help but recently after reinstalling windows my c drive was almost full. i solved it by just extending the partition. My battery...
  9. Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.

Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.: Quite often my Dell Inspiron5758 laptop will, when I switch on the power to recharge, turn off. Has anyone any ideas what might be the cause? 123749
  10. Notebook battery not charging when switched on

Notebook battery not charging when switched on: Hi all, I bought a notebook three weeks ago for my wife, specifically a HP 14-an009a. It had Windows 10 pre-installed. It worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, but an issue has cropped up with the battery. When it is turned on and connected to the charger, the battery icon...